Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

 

Click Here To Join!

 

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

John

Admin
  • Content count

    7,495
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    29

John last won the day on May 5

John had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

391 Excellent

About John

  • Rank
    In the Asylum
  • Birthday August 6

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://www.projectdalek.co.uk

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Wakefield, UK

Profile Fields

  • Interests
    Daleks

Recent Profile Visitors

20,886 profile views
  1. All images are now automatically resized within topics (as I keep on saying), so there's a good chance that the text will be unreadable. We get around this by adding photos of original props to the Gallery. In this instance, I'm more than happy for these pages to be added too, at high resolution, if you wish. The instructions on how this works are posted here. (It's the same system we use to get Mechmaster's comic pages into the topic at full size).
  2. Black is the norm on NSDs. Maybe try and locate something that is already black, so that it doesn't need painting. Magic 8 balls, perhaps? If you do paint, then line the holes with felt or similar padding to minimise scratching. It is possible to have metal ball joints powder coated, but this is expensive.
  3. Welcome back. Keep us updated with your progress.
  4. Looking good. Satin might be worth a try, it would probably lend itself to the industrial look of the dalek.
  5. Changed as requested.
  6. It's worth considering that there will almost certainly be quite a bit of import duty to add to the final cost, if you're sourcing from the US.
  7. Many thanks for your donation to help with the cost of Forum hosting. It is very kind of you and much appreciated. :)

  8. Don't you mean 'extrude' the issue? (see what I did, there?) I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way to fit it. It seems to have been added at whatever angle was needed to fill up the space with the least amount of waste. However, I think I'd be tempted to go for the neater, 'cheese grater' look.
  9. Here's the original build diary:
  10. The dome and hemis are definitely by me, then. I'm not sure where the rest came from. The voice mod is probably a PDFmod mk3. I don't recall giving him any slats, but I may have done. I had a lot spare, back then.
  11. I think the parts were part of the Genesis build started by @Fenris The bare GRP looks familiar and I'm reasonably certain that I may have made that dome. Did it come with 56 push-through hemispheres, in through-pigmented balck GRP? If so, I made those too. David lived just up the road from me and we collaborated on projects... me doing bits of dalek for him and him doing voice mod and electronics stuff for me. It's a pity he's no longer around. He was a valued member and a great electronics mod.
  12. The plunger looks lovely. Is it a modern one or a vintage one (in great condition)? If it's a modern one, I'd be really interested in where you got it...
  13. Firstly, I wouldn't worry too much about asymmetry. Even asymmetry to the extent that you are describing on your shoulders is not uncommon on the 'real' props. Take a look at the gun/arm holes on the black dalek in DIOE for example and you'll see what I mean. Bear in mind that the rear corners of the shoulders will be covered by the collars, for the most part. Some clever variations in the collar spacers might render the whole problem virtually undetectable. If you do opt to chop and change, then I would suggest car body filler is going to be the best option. Go for the 'easy sand' version and build it up gradually, in layers. I suspect that plaster will not adhere to the existing surface properly and may just fall off. If I was tackling this, I'd probably only deal with the issues that are obvious to the eye, without measuring. That would probably just be the hole sizes. I'd cover the holes from the front, with something hot-glued into position and then fill up the holes from the inside using GRP. Once that was cured I'd remove the external covers and smooth out the surface, marking the centre points for the new holes. If the boxes are so out of alignment that you can readily see it, then maybe remove the side, from the longest box and then re-fibreglass it into position, to match the shorter one? I do believe that you'll be just fine, without going too mad on renovations. The gun/arm boxes on original props where all over the place, it's just part of their charm.
  14. I wonder of it would lend itself to 3D printing? Too fine, maybe?
  • Recent Status Updates

    • Aussie Kev

      Looking for the close up photo of the portable graphic equaliser deck that Nick Briggs use's with his Moog MF102. Somewhere out there, I have seen this photo of him sitting at a table with the graphic equaliser, to fine tune in the sound of the Moog. Could be used as a reference photo if allowed on the Forum.
      · 0 replies
    • madianm

      Well just an update . I've started finally , thought i'd tackle the base and work up from there. I've been sorting afew smaller things like hemi's and cutting drainage pipe for there surrounds . See how it goes , will post some pics at some stage ! ..Ian
      · 1 reply
    • OutCastDalek

      I finally received the Workshop Manuel today! Now all I have to do is study it. Hopefully I'll start a build diary by the summer. 
      · 0 replies
    • Ferrain

      Printing the front fuselage of DSV2.....
      · 7 replies
    • L'chaim 12

      If a mod would be so kind as to delete the mushnik TDP build, as I'm not going to be building it anymore, I have a different dalek in mind in a few months, but this is just bugging me.
      · 2 replies