Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Greg Camo

Greg's Mk 3 Dalek

37 posts in this topic

Some 8 months ago i started to build a mk 3 Dalek. I have the head, neck, shoulder, skirt and base built (basic build without any attachments).

Now for the hard part.I would like to do a GRP neck bin and cage combo. I have wraped 3mm mdf around the bin inplace of the black cloth or fly- wire. The cage is than put into postion around the bin.

Will the mdf need to be treated first before the GRP. Please don't say G4 as this product is not herd of in my small town (do other Australians have this problem) so therefore i cannot buy it and when i made the plaster head plug i had to use a spray on varnsh.

The neck bin/cage will have 4 flangers hopefully this will help in getting the GRP to seperate from the plug.

Polyurethane varnish is what I use to seal any plugs that I'm going to take a fibreglass mould from.

Make sure its NOT the water based stuff though.

That works just as well as G4 and is easier to get hold of.

The neck bin and cage as a single piece, thats going to be a challenge to do.

good luck

Adam S

Hi well its been a long time since I last posted on this forum. I have been slowly  building my Dalek. its a long term project but it is getting closer to being finished.

I gave up on the GRP combo neck and went for a GRP neck bin and MDF rings. At the present I am trying to put the mesh on. How long should I cut the mesh into smaller pieces. I tried about 6 inches but this did not work out with the slats.     

You need to temporarily position the slats first. Use clothes pegs or tape to get them positioned correctly, then you can figure out where to put the cuts in your mesh, so that the joints are hidden behind the slats. Just work with the size of mesh sheet you have and cut it so that the joints are hidden. There's no specific length that's appropriate. It's best to mark out the cuts on a card/paper template of the mesh before you do the real thing. That way, you can double check that it fits and that the joints are hidden.

Thanks I will do that. Now why didn't I think of putting the slats on first. Good idea. 

Hi everybody

I have a big problem with my Dalek. I have a Pride electric wheel chair and have attached it to the base of the Dalek. The problem is the front swivel wheel at first I had 1 inch chip board but it was to thick and I could not do the nut up. So next I tried 10 mm mdf this worked and I could do the nut up so I took the chair/Dalek base for a test drive this went ok. Then I put the skirt section on which added more weight. I then took it for a second test drive, well the mdf that the swivel wheel is attached to cracked and split drew to the weight.So now what can I do? use steel to hold the swivel wheel in place or will this also bend under the weight. what can I do to fix this. Any ideas.   

Now a second problem has shown up as stated before this chair is very heavy. The stress on the Dalek base is casing it to crack. I may have to add a fourth small size swivel wheel to support the weight. The builders workshop manual does not show how to attach these chairs to a Dalek.

G'Day Greg,

Sorry to hear about the drama's.

Post some pic's of the issue/s and I'm sure someone here will be able to suggest a solution.

Personally, I tend to over engineer things.  I used steel to support my fender.  Sure it adds weight but it's down low and doesn't effect stability.

Here's a link to my set up - http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?/topic/3196-hammers-nsd/&do=findComment&comment=151253

It's times like these you just have to step back and have a beer.

Cheers,

Mark. 

Edited by markhammer

Thanks for the photos. You kept the four wheels intact. I removed the two swivel wheels and then made a new plate for just one wheel. That problem with the front wheel I fitted a steell plate and this seems to have fixed that problem up. But the second one still causing me headaches. I will get some photos up soon.  

I looked for how to resize photos in FAQ but could not find anything. I also did a search but no luck. (This site is hard to navigate)   

So hear is two photos of my Dalek base and power chair. Sorry for the size of the photos. The front wheel has been removed that problem seems to have been fixed by using a steel plate.

IMG_6234.JPGIMG_6235.JPG

Hi Greg,

From your photos, I can see that your fender is attached to the underside of the metal frame work of the wheel chair.  In that configuration, the fender, not the chair, is bearing the full weight of your Dalek.  I would suggest swapping this over so the chair bears the weight.  It may mean modifying your steel frame lower and with some wider steel plates but it will stop any further stress fractures of the fender.  I'm not sure what your fender clearance height is at the moment but if your too close to the ground you will scrap the fender on every bump and on every inclination.  I'm running at approx.2.5" and I still get the occasional bump on my driveway.  I also used ply on my fender as I believe it's stronger and more stable than any MDF of the same thickness.

Hope this helps.

I look forward to watching your progress.

Cheers,

Mark.

@Greg Camo The forum automatically resizes your photos when you upload them. ;) 

The lower section of the fender is made of rubber so if it does scrape the ground it will not damage the higher up wood work. I will see what I can do about the steel work in modifying it. 

Well I made some changes to the attachments by adding two brackets and two 4 inch swivel wheels, the Dalek now has 5 wheels Two drive wheels, two small swivel wheels and one large swivel wheel. Then I took the Dalek for a test drive on the footpath out side my house. That's when I noticed road noise or should I sat footpath noise as the two small swivel wheels are solid rubber. I did not like this at all. So what now I cannot put the original axle and wheels back on as a Angel Grinder put an end to this. Can you get spare parts for these chairs?  

One other problem also the speed of the Dalek even on its fastest speed I could walk faster then this. The chair by its self without the Dalek on it and when I walk beside it the chair has plenty of speed. If I sit on it the speed drops down a lot. Then I put the Dalek on and sit in it the speed drops down to a slow speed.

Maybe try posting about your speed issues in the Motorisation section?

Greg a few things are possible here firstly you can get spare parts for most chairs but often I found it advantageous to have a second exact chair for parts. As for speed when the weight load changes so does the power draw upon the batteries and electronic systems. So if your batteries are in good repair I would look at first having a wheelchair repair centre re-program your  hand controller and if you still have the power drop issue then in my cases when this happens it has always been solved by replacing the joystick unit 

cdngoose