Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Torchwood 4

Torchwood 4's Daleks

21 posts in this topic

Hello all.

Here is my 'Dead Planet' Dalek. In seeing other peoples 3D Dalek models in envy, i decided to make my own. It's made on blender, which i'm still a bit of a newbie with. I might fix any mistakes i see in it in the future. There's also a weird black mark on the neck rings which annoys me, but overall i think its pretty accurate (hopefully). Also the eyestalk went a bit wonky in one of the pictures, so mr daleks a bit derpy in it.

Dalek0001.jpg Dalek20001.jpg Dalek30001.jpg Dalek40001.jpg Dalek50001.jpg Dalek60001.jpg

Nice work. I don't know owt about Blender but in some apps you have the option to adjust the crease angle which makes edges sharp. I mention this because the collars look somewhat rounded. A cool looking Dalek, though.

Thanks, i fixed the neck rings up a bit to make them sharper. When i have time i might fix up any other errors i see in it.

post-8878-0-58052100-1407312711_thumb.jp

nice :P Another part to smooth would be the part thats behind the mesh and slats. (I forget what its called :/)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Blender, too (but I managed to create a virtual Dalek even before I joined the forum. Where there's a will...) Regarding the black marks you mention, this might be a result of flipped normals. Try selecting them in edit mode, then in the mesh menu go to Normals -> Recalculate outside. That might fix it.....

best,

/Gary

Looks good, keep it up.

Regarding the black marks on the neck rings, I think gwc42 is possibly right. Or it may just be that you have something wrong with the texture/material.

Thanks for the comments guys. I haven't been on here for awhile, but i'm working on a 2005 Dalek. I've just got the skirt and base for now.

Capture3.JPG Capture4.JPG

I would quarter the skirt panels horizontally, rather than triangulating 'em. Tris look ugly when rendered, since most of the panels are twisted. Quartering helps eliminate the worst of it and also helps position the hemis.

I got rid of the black marks on the dead planet Dalek, using the advice of gwc42. And I made the main part of the shoulders on the NSD. Since i'm a newb to blender, i don't really know how to quarter the panels horizontally. I've looked for blender tutorials on it, but the methods from those seemed to noticeably change the vertices. Also I'm going to be away for awhile, so i won't be updating for a few weeks.

3.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG

try using the re-mesh option found under modifiers, might do the job.

In order to get rid of those horrible lines on the skirt section, i dug around the internet for a solution. I tried the re-mesh option as suggested by Alydon, but that made the whole object disappear (except in edit mode). From what i've learnt I decided to smooth the skirt section and use a edge split modifier. This resolved the problem completely, without having any smooth corners. I've also shaped the shoulder section, and started the neck bin and head. I'm going to be busy during the next past month so i won't be updating for awhile.

head.JPG dswd.JPG 0001.jpg

I've done a bit more work on this model, adding to it a dome cowl, weapon holders, and appendages. I've tried to accurately scale and model the "ear cages", however they don't join with the top ring of the dome lights. Later I realized that despite giving the bottom of the cages a 5mm offset, I gave the bars a 90 degree angle. But when i fixed that problem, the top of the bars were too far inwards to connect with the top ring. Maybe I'll need to remake this part later. The dome grooves are a bit hectic, but I'll try to "carve" them into the dome. And the gun arm seems to be suffering from the dreaded black lines, despite having no extra vertices or faces.

Capture2.JPG Capture.JPG gun.JPG shoulder.JPG dalek0001.jpg Capture3.JPG

Hello, its been awhile since I posted here. And I have not really been working on the NSD.

However here's a model I've made based on my own design of Dalek, I've had awhile ago.

dalek0001.jpg

daleks0001.jpg

I like it a lot.  Some brilliant design elements in there.  Any chance of some orthos, to get a proper look at the thing.

Thanks SamTherapy, I'm flattered.

I'm not exactly sure how I can get orthos on blender. But I'll render the model at the front, side, and back views and see how that goes.

Anyway I couldn't resist on making a background for these guys. And I'm tempted to do a Dalek comic with them, however I'd have to see if I'd have time for it.

Daleks0001.png

dalek3.JPG

Edited by Torchwood 4