Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ashkorewd

Hello From Anaheim, Ca

7 posts in this topic

Greetings! I'm so happy to have found a site to help me build Daleks! I have the wonderful goal of making a mobile one for me to ride in at Conventions and the such, so hopefully withall your help, I may be able to complete it!

Welcome to a great community. There is so much info on here, for those of us who came to Dalek building late, a lot of the hard work, i.e. working out how to build the darn things has been done, be it dimensions, materials, mechanisation, you can guarantee someone has already tried it. I lurked around for a long time, but now I have started my own build, I have discovered one thing, its addictive, I cant stop working on it, because I cant wait to get to the next step! Having an understanding wife helps :) She has demanded I build a TARDIS afterwards! Any way, good luck with your build, and above all, enjoy it!

I just realized I had posted this... after I created a post earlier today. It's been a long day LOL. Ah well, there's always me hiding somewhere on here :)

Also, Thanks wdb01! I'm looking forward to building my first Dalek :D

Welcome ashkorewd and good luck!
if you have any questions- ask. I'm half way through mine and having a blast.  I'm in Socal also. 

Thanks Stephen! I'm in Covina now, no longer Anaheim (it's too expensive near Disneyland!).

lol- I know what you mean Ashkorewd.  I work in Anaheim right now but live up in the high desert near Victorville.

so- have you looked at the plans on this site and picked out what Dalek you want to build?? My build diary is in the 60's TV area.

they seemed to be the easier of the builds and I am not a wood worker- lol. and I am proving that everyday with my build! hahaha. 

but I am doing it and happy as I go. I've learned in making cosplay armor- all sins can be hidden with paint and aging! Boy is my Dalek going to be painted, hahaha.

so- pick a Dalek and also order the builders manual from this site- that will be your bible as you work. Also look at the other build diaries- they have tons to tips in them that will make this project easy.

I buy most of my stuff at Lowe's since they are close.  Home Depot will have some items as well.  Hobby Lobby for the Xmas ornaments you will use as the hemispheres.  FRY's electronics carry the magic 8 balls for the eye and Amazon for the 4" diameter arm gazing globes.  And just ask-they people on here are really helpful.  

I'm working on an NSD Dalek, actually :) Got my wheel chair the other day so I started stripping that while I wait for the next paycheck so I can start getting the base together. I'm also waiting for the builder's manual to arrive, so, it's a good thing I'm delaying LOL.

I have a Lowes on one end of my street in Covina, and a Home Depot on the other... it's nice to be able to choose by price lol. I'll have to hit Fry's off the 60 at some point for the 8 ball... Hobby Lobby is by the 10... yeah. I think all our favorite stores are everywhere nearby :).

There's also a Michaels and a Joanne Fabrics nearby for odds and ends. I'm gonna check them all out and see if there's anything I can pull together to make parts easier. I have a large roll of 36" construction paper I'm tracing the designs out on first before I start getting too far ahead of myself.

The lovely lady is excited to see me so excited so far. She's keeping me in check, but very excited that I've been actively working on deciding which Dalek for 3 years now lol.