Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

cdngoose

Cdngoose's Dalek - Nyder

24 posts in this topic

Well some days are just chocked full of luck! This is definitely one of them. I enjoy working on the Daleks in my driveway, I don't have to I have enough room to work in the garage or a lot of room to work in the basement. Working in the driveway always invites people to drop by and scream it's a Dalek can I take pictures! I enjoy seeing this happen almost every time I work on them. So last week just such a thing happened and this huge van pulls in the driveway belonging to a mobility repair business. We talked for a bit and I discussed about some of the projects I have coming up and what I do with the Daleks at events.

Well yesterday I came home to find two functioning mobility wheelchairs delivered to my driveway ! SCORE! The message attached was I know you will put these to good use, enjoy and I will drop more off as they become available!

so now that I have an extra set of motors I have started to design the new frame assembly that will allow me to raise and lower the drive wheels. This process will take a bit of time to refine but I will post the final version with measurements and a how to on assembly.

cdngoose

Have spent the weekend doing work to Nyder, unfortunately due to shoulder injury progress is very slow, but it is still progress. I will upload some of the new upgrades tomorrow. One of the things I will be doing is installing the PDF MK5 voice mod, and I have ordered a new amplifier to go with the install. Unfortunately it will not be in by the weekend so I will have to use the old amp system but by Fan Expo Nyder will be sporting a 600W ( not a typo) Bluetooth amp designed for a Motorcycle or Marine use which means it is also waterproof! This system will almost be as loud as Dreadnaughts and take up half the room with much less power draw! I will see how it fairs in Nyder then I may upgrade Dreadnaught and Davros to the same system. I have also ordered custom made earplugs as this will be the first time I will try installing the speakers in the Dome, Normally they are located under the fender, below the skirt, they may still go to that location but I want to try a dome installation first and see if it interferes with the Mic.

cdngoose

Lets start off with a bit of a review and why I'm still adding to my build diary almost a year after Nyders first public show. Nyder was never meant to be really, he was born out of a failure to build Davros in a short window. But a Shawcraft can be built in a short window, thus Nyder was born in just over two weeks of work. But in doing that many shortcuts have to be made! Which is why this build diary is still a work in progress.

IMG564.jpg

Often I open my Garage and say where do I start! Which ones needs the attention more so they can all go to the next show. and each one of these needs serious attention before Fan Expo, including the two ( Dreadnaught and Drax) which are not present in the garage. But this time after pulling parts from each one I just stopped and said this time only one at a time till all have been attended to, I will go from worst to least need.

SO Nyder is first up, I plan on going from the very top to the bottom and repairing everything I think I need too, then look after him and call him a complete build.

IMG579.jpg

Eyestalk, I made a new eyestalk pivot from Ferrains 3D files the first week I got my printer, but never got around to changing it out. Today is the Day, on top of that I really did not like the plexi glass eyestalk rings I made when I built Nyder so I printed up new ones from my files in the 3D section and added a bit of thickness to them, well if 5 looked good 9 surely look better! I like that this Dalek is from my imagination and not adhering to any screen version, this allows a certain freedom and I always liked the look of a 9 ring eyestalk. The Eye was good so it stayed, but iris was a solid white, so I printed off a semi transparent version and have installed LEDs inside the Eye, kept the same look with the blacked out sections but when powered up it will glow a beautiful red.

IMG581.jpg

Disaster! while painting the pivot I left it for a few seconds and the wind blew the whole eyestalk off the scaffold and smashed the eye!, but I had just finished making a new eye for Drax a couple of days earlier so now Drax needs me to make another one.

IMG582.jpgIMG583.jpg

I love the hand operation of this Dalek, it is soo much more intimate that my other creations with servos and motors to operate everything. But this was another slap together last year and never worked smoothly, so out came the files and replaced the dome wheels and adjusted everything for a smooth operation.

IMG584.jpgIMG585.jpg

With the new pivot came a simpler way to attach it to my operating stick, some rope and a limiting bungee and the eyestalk bounces around happily and can now point almost straight up at the sky

.IMG586.jpgIMG587.jpg

SO Now, dome is finally finished, operates with great motion and smoothness, plus I really like the look of the 9 disks, all that is left is the wiring.

IMG588.jpg

Time to move down and work on the neck and shoulders, this will definitely take a few days on the shoulders alone. I left a lot of rough work on the inside and more than a few times Nyder has drawn blood from me in its operation, not to mention it looked like I lost a fight in a crazy ladies cat house from all the scratches!

Earlier this week my wife finally said she will take Nyder out at events! she has yet to ever get into a Dalek. I was so happy! I even told her I found a way to give her TWO more inches and promised by weeks end she will have that extra TWO inches. It was the biggest smile I have seen on her face in years!

Cdngoose

First up tonight Is to get rid of one of my nightmares.

IMG592.jpg

See all this fiberglass work on the backside of my shoulders? this is here because the wire I had installed to hold my hinged shoulders open broke and two hemis caved in my 3mm MDF shoulderswhen the shoulder unit rotated into them.

IMG589.jpgIMG590.jpg

The string and /or wire used to hold open the shoulders is gone, I tried to just install a strip of 20 gauge metal but didn't like how it held a bend when one in introduced, but my old metal ruler was perfect, it bends and returns to its original shape, though I am sure I could introduce a bend, it will typically only see a flex in this use. added a nut and bolt to either end and it works perfectly and is very fast to install and remove.

IMG591.jpgIMG592.jpg

Next up is power transfer, since Nyder is my winter Dalek he needs to be taken apart constantly, in the summer he travels in the trailer with Davros and Dreadnaught and remains in one piece, but come the winter my trailer and summer truck go into storage and I'm left with a Chrysler PT Cruiser. SO I installed brass fittings that when the shoulders are closed a circuit is complete and power is interrupted when the shoulders are open. This also means I can disassemble everything without unplugging the wires.

IMG595.jpgIMG596.jpgIMG597.jpgIMG598.jpgIMG599.jpgIMG600.jpgIMG601.jpgIMG603.jpgIMG604.jpgIMG605.jpgIMG602.jpgIMG593.jpgIMG594.jpg

Now time to stop bleeding inside my Dalek, the shoulder supports were so rough that I would constantly get scratched up and often left Nyder a bloody mess, a few cross cuts with the mini saw and ALOT of sanding and not only did I make this safer but I gained quite a bit of room.

This was important,  since my wife of 30 years has shown an interest in Nyder and wishes to operate him at the next show I endeavoured to make him as comfortable as possible. I was so happy at the space gain of over 2 inches that I called her right out and showed her that I was able to give her 2 more inches! at which point she groaned and slapped me! ( I'll never figure woman out) I thought sdhe would be happy getting 2 more inches!

IMG606.jpgIMG607.jpgIMG608.jpg

One thing I have found invaluable is an Airbrush, it is fast and easy to clean and makes touch ups after a show a non event. Plus you can get quite creative with your Dalek and this tool.

IMG612.jpg

Travelling downwards, in loading and unloading Nyder into my trailer he is too low to the ground and needs to be lifted a bit, plus the bracket on the back of the wheelchair needs to be addressed as it often comes loose.

IMG613.jpgIMG614.jpg

This is the second attempt at attaching a fender skirt, the first time I used hot glue and also a fabric spray adhesive, neither of which worked for very long, in fact the fabric spray didn't even make one trundle. so this time I used wood glue and a product called No More Nails construction adhesive! ITs good to have many clamps, I used almost all the ones in the Garage and almost thought of running down to the workshop for more.Though I could have easily used far less clamps and some wood scraps.

IMG616.jpgIMG617.jpg

Another addition is the felt strips on the gun and plunger balls, I have worked these for a year without anything to smooth out the movement and it makes a world of difference with these installed.

IMG618.jpgIMG615.jpg

Some final tough ups on the inside of the shoulders and finally a completed set of shoulders waiting for wiring!

That's it for tonight

Cdngoose

Congratulations on completing these builds!  I was lucky enough to join the Canadian Dalek Empire at Toronto Fan Expo last weekend, and got to see these up close (Mark was kind enough to let me trundle in Nyder). The attention to detail on both of these was incredible - which is amazing considering the timeline!

zday.jpg

Nyder had a crazy night meeting Peter Calpaldi, Steven Moffat, Pearl Mackie and Brian Minchin. I have a great many pictures as Nyder was used as  a Central piece in a Meet and greet venue and as a backdrop for an interview. This is Nyders Proudest Moment!

Mine Too!

dngoose

Dalek Nyder has just had a run in with the Doctor! After an extended period of being attacked with a Sonic Screwdriver some of his systems started to fail. All is fine this is one of the special effects I am using in my daleks. But only after the Doctor uses his sonic 

cdngoose

Packing a Shawcraft for a trip

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.549a77315c426a48227d8353221d2970.JPG

electric wheelchair is first in and it sits on a board. 

IMG_0313.thumb.JPG.dbf4393cc2b60741ca8b01bf09f5cbe1.JPG

next in was the shoulders beside the wheelchair. Also I had to lift them up after this picture to put the guitar amp in and the shoulders rode on the amp. Yes it is quite big. 

IMG_0312.thumb.JPG.06cd2f9296b6e326fc01a7c4a46dffbf.JPG

neck and dome go in as one unit and the skirt is placed over top of the whole neck assembly, fender rides on top of skirt.

IMG_0314.thumb.JPG.cb2eedf297ab753903ab95f1cb5b7d42.JPG

This allows me to have a passenger seat. When Nyder traveled in the PT Cruiser I lost the passenger seat to the neck assembly. But he did in fact fit inside a PT Cruiser. 

IMG_0314.thumb.JPG.cb2eedf297ab753903ab95f1cb5b7d42.JPG

All packed and ready to leave for the first convention of the year. 

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.a2136e89277a4a1dde760bd2a11d1ae6.JPGIMG_0317.thumb.JPG.e66da1e54a736b742820a52ca85ddd6e.JPG

wife and I have arrived and Nyder looks ok. Unfortunately I was unable to paint the fender prior to the event. But I just didn't want to travel with wet paint. 

Weekend is over. Tomorrow Nyder will find his was to the living room and I can start on making 3 new fibreglass fenders or make the neck rings so I can do more moulds. 

Cdngoose

One of the highlights of the weekend was getting to meet Sean Pertwee. As we trundled over to meet another celebrity Sean came out and asked for pictures with the Daleks. We didn't even approach him it was all a bit surreal how it happened. IMG_0333.thumb.JPG.53832463655e844b0194d2088f99e55b.JPG

cdngoose