Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

JonnyAlpha

Electric Wheelchair And Dalek Size Query

16 posts in this topic

Hi;

I have finally acquired a motorised wheelchair that I intend to use to build a Dalek.

Looking at the plans I would probably like to build either an NSD.

May I ask a couple of questions:

1. Will the size of the wheel chair predict the type of Dalek that I build?

2. Is it more common practice to dismantle the wheel chair and re-mount the motors / wheels batteries and seat etc.

3. I have been considering having two sets of controls for this Dalek, (a) manual (driven by the occupant) and (B) remote control, is this an option?

4. Are these Dalek builds big enough for an adult to sit in? I am 5ft 7in?

Thanks

1/2. Get an Angle grinder, a cheap Stick Welder and a decent Auto-Darkening Welding Mask and *poof* those worries will dissolve like clouds into thin air revealing only possibilities. It won't cost you more than 150-200€ and you will find many uses for these tools around the house, garage, general DIY, etc. You build a metal chassis for the Dalek using these tools and square tubing.

3. Why not? But why increase complexity? The most realistic Dalek movement is performed "Flintstones Style".

4. Yes. Many taller guys can fit into them. However, body weight and dexterity can be issues. You will also have to choose how your Dalek will open, there are like two or three "standard" ways. Personally I tend to like the hinged shoulders.

Is it a wheelchair or a power chair? I have built two using power chairs and the only modification I made was taking the two front wheels off and making a central one to turn it into a tricycle

then just fix the fender to the frame at whatever height you need.

post-22514-0-86988600-1450772896_thumb.j

post-22514-0-37623300-1450772906_thumb.j

post-22514-0-39130500-1450772907_thumb.j

It's more of a power chair I guess, small back wheels. I'll post up some pics.

1/2. Get an Angle grinder, a cheap Stick Welder and a decent Auto-Darkening Welding Mask and *poof* those worries will dissolve like clouds into thin air revealing only possibilities. It won't cost you more than 150-200€ and you will find many uses for these tools around the house, garage, general DIY, etc. You build a metal chassis for the Dalek using these tools and square tubing.

3. Why not? But why increase complexity? The most realistic Dalek movement is performed "Flintstones Style".

4. Yes. Many taller guys can fit into them. However, body weight and dexterity can be issues. You will also have to choose how your Dalek will open, there are like two or three "standard" ways. Personally I tend to like the hinged shoulders.

Funnily enough I already have a Mig Welder and Safety Gear so i'll do just that, need some lightweight square tubing for any framework.

This is what I did with wheelchair motors and square tube plus a mig welder. It is radio controlled and ride height adjustable.

post-1641-0-16198300-1450800270_thumb.jp

Vince.

Nice, what size / gauge is the square tubing?

post-2-0-19109800-1450825859_thumb.jpgpost-2-0-37865400-1450825860_thumb.jpgpost-2-0-76287700-1450825862_thumb.jpg

I managed to get out (in the rain) and take a couple of pictures of the chair, side view, rear view showing the motors and batteries and a close up of the controller.

I think I used 19mm (3/4 inch) tube.

Vince.

Funnily enough I already have a Mig Welder and Safety Gear so i'll do just that, need some lightweight square tubing for any framework.

It's more of a power chair I guess, small back wheels. I'll post up some pics.

Then you can build the whole Dalek out of steel! B)

There should be Aluminium square tubing around but it is going to be expensive and probably weak. How thick is the ~20mm Steel square tubing available at your location? Here it is usually 1-1,5mm which I would say will result to the frame being quite light.

Personally I would remove the two front wheels and the motors along with the wheels and the whole assembly and then I would mount everything on a frame like the one Vince Martyn build. I would also salvage and use this nice comfy sit to use for the Dalek instead of something that would give me hemorrhoids. ;)

I think the wall size on my tube is about 1mm. With the motors on there I wouldn't call the structure light, but it is manageable and solid.

Vince.

Edited by Vince Martyn

Yes motors are heavy but as far as I know their own weight is not calculated because you need to install them and you cannot make them any lighter. Well, things might work different in other countries.

Do you have any data as to how much does your frame weights? I would take a guess and say ~10Kgs based on my experience from furniture.

It's impossible to say because the part I made is just a section of what is in there. The motors were already mounted on a steel U shaped bracket from the wheelchair and I kept this. The main point really is that the whole fender/motor/chassis can easily be picked up by two people and a couple of my younger friends can pick it up on their own.

Vince.

I found that with just the base unit- motors, wheels & batteries, it almost fit, had to make the dual front casters into a single, and it fit great. Most of the chairs are made to drive through inside doorways which can be small{28"} and we know that a Dalek base and skirt are wider than that.

On 12/22/2015 at 16:05, VinceMartyn said:

This is what I did with wheelchair motors and square tube plus a mig welder. It is radio controlled and ride height adjustable.

post-1641-0-16198300-1450800270_thumb.jp

Vince.

@VinceMartyn I have just been studying your chassis again as I have just picked up some 20mm box section. I noticed a red Foxes biscuit tin in the background! It made me laugh as I have a small robot made out of a Foxes biscuit tin - my Grandson calls it 'Rubbish Robot'.

Nice to see someone inspired by my dalek.  It's not so obvious in that photo but I put some angle iron in to hold big batteries and made an adapter plate that fits where the bigger batteries go and gives a footprint for smaller ones.

Vince.

Posted (edited)

What size castor did you fit? My wheels are not as big as yours as you can see in the pic but as long as the castor is no bigger and not to small and it ensures that the frame sits horizontal? Or should it lean forward to avoid tipping? 

Edited by JonnyAlpha