Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John

User Display Names - Please Read!

27 posts in this topic

This topic applies to all members, so please read...

In the near future, we are planning a major software upgrade, here on the Forum. This will keep us up-to-date in an ever changing world, giving the Forum better integration with hand held devices without the need for third party add-ons (Tapatalk etc). There will also be many other enhancements, but also some significant changes to the way the Forum functions.

More on this nearer the time, but for now there is one important detail that you must consider...

In the next version, there will be no option to have separate user login names and user display names.

Once the upgrade goes live, all user's login names will also be their display names. I know that the bulk of you have these set the same. If this is the case, then you need take no further action. However, if you are one of the few people who have separate names for logging in and display, then please be aware that after the upgrade, your display name will change and your login name will be the one that is displayed on the Forum, in your posts etc.

If you are not OK with your current login name being displayed on the Forum, then please post a reply here, asking for your user login name to be changed to something that you do want to be displayed on the Forum (I suggest your display name).

Note that changing this changes your login credentials, so once you have replied here, if you can't access the Forum, please try your display name as your login name.

I suspect this may read as clear as mud, so any questions, just ask. :)

Hi John please could you change my login name to my display name.

Many thanks Jim.

Hi John,

Please change both my names to VinceMartyn.

Vince.

Hi Vince, that's done (you should have received an email). If you're reading this, then I suspect you know that already. ;)

Hi John,

Can you also please change my login name to my display name?

Cheers,

Les.

Done. :)

I fully understand the need to upgrade the forum... are you keeping the the same Invasion Power ?

I only ask because I am on another IP forum and rarely go there now because the change in the settings have made the forum very difficult to read.

At the moment.. on here we have "View new content"

This appears to have been changed to "Unread content"

Consequently navigation is now muddled... :)

I believe such things are configurable, though the solution to your problem would be to mark the forum as read and then work from there.

When you click on the unread content link, you are given a list of topics with posts you haven't read. That list is ordered with the newer posts first, so all you have to do is read down as far as you like. In reality, not much difference at all.

The changes won't be to everyone's tastes (mine included), but support for the version we are currently running is being discontinued soon, so Invision leave me with little choice.

Yes... its one of those unfortunate compulsory updates to have the latest security in place.

My concern is that people who are very use to the current format will be put off with the changes...

Will have to see how this pans out... :)

Hi John please could you change my login name to my display name.

Many thanks Jim.

Hi Jim, that's done. Apologies for missing you out!

Last call for name changes. The upgrade will be carried out this week.

I must confess I am seriously considering changing from Colonel Barker to Aaron J Climas simply to avoid confusion later on.

Yes change me to Paul Brown

Paul changed, still awaiting Aaron's decision.

There's no rush with any accounts that have identical login and display names, though if anyone else would like to convert to their real/Facebook name, please let me know. I know it helps save confusion, across social media.

Okay let's go, Aaron J Climas it is.