Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

cdngoose

Cdngoose 2008 Davros

28 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, though I still have a couple of projects ongoing like Dalek Nyder and Dreadnaughts re-build I have started a new Davros project. I am taking a different approach to this build and will be making a fiberglass skirt and base. I have already made the forms using Nyders skirt and the base has been made for an NSD project I have on the books for a future build. This build is also time sensitive as I must have it completed by the months end, but it is not a mad rush as I have been making parts for it over the last year. So lets get started and see how it goes.

First off I NEED to send a huge Thanks to Phil, he is a member of this forum and have been instrumental in this project! I am new to the world of 3D printing and I have been using my printer everyday for the last 3 months making Dalek parts. It honestly hasn't stopped yet. However I cannot for the life of me even draw up a simple eye disk in CAD which I find very disturbing. I will take a college course this fall to remedy that situation. But for now and for this project I must rely on the help of other people to draw up parts I can print off. I am hoping to also print off the aluminium head gear for Davros, but alas I need help form a member to draw it up for me.

cdngoose

IMG_3453.JPG

Lets get some of the parts I have already made on here.

IMG_3445.JPG

First up is the Man himself, I have the Davros mask and hand already to go, it fits well and will need to be glued in place the day of the show. I still need to insert the ping pong ball with an LED light and make the head apparatus, I may also cut out a couple more spots in the eyes so I can see better. but all in all it looks fantastic.

On with the skirt, I built Nyder as I needed a Dalek that is portable in my car, I wanted the ability to attend events that would not require me to transport my trailer which houses the Dalek Emperor, Tardis, and Dreadnaught. With the skirt made for Nyder I promptly took a mold from it knowing it will be instrumental in future builds.

IMG_3509.JPGIMG_3507.JPG

SO Now I have the form and though I have a few repairs and clean up on it I should be able to make Davros skirt this weekend.

IMG_3488.JPG

I made this console section then I dropped it while sanding, this prompted me to change out the front section to a metal screen, I know it is not accurate to re production, but I am only going for Camera accurate, to say when someone takes a picture while standing beside me it looks like the one for the show. I changed to the screen as this is where I will be mounting the speaker for the mini mooger fooger I have.

IMG_3483.JPGIMG_3484.JPGIMG_3485.JPGIMG_3496.JPG

These pictures show both the mdf front and the new metal screen front

IMG_3495.JPG 

Next on the list is the backrest, also a part for Nyder

IMG_3446.JPGIMG_3447.JPG

ITs a start and multiple layers to go.

IMG_3478.JPGIMG_3454.JPGIMG_3455.JPGIMG_3459.JPG

This construction is taking up a bevy of tools and I truly love working in the driveway, I have people walking by and always stop for questions or they just keep walking and shaking their heads.

Time for a Stack up

IMG_3457.JPGIMG_3458.JPGIMG_3479.JPGIMG_3482.JPG

These are going quite well for the uprights I decided to go with aluminium, I like the added strength and rigidity.

Never underestimate the power of creativity! I needed to soften the MDF to achieve the bends they will be required to make, so instead of making a large soaker I already had one in the backyard.

IMG_3463.JPG

Pool works well for soaking parts!

IMG_3460.JPGIMG_3461.JPG

Stack up time! this is on Nyders skirt but I'm quite happy at the results so far.

IMG_3456.JPG IMG_3477.JPG IMG_3486.JPG IMG_3487.JPG IMG_3490.JPG IMG_3494.JPG

Edited by RepeatedMeme

So a little run down on 3D printed files. Keep in mind this Davros is not an honest show reproduction, however it is a camera reproduction. Which means I will take steps to make this look exactly as seen on screen when people stand beside it and take pictures. This allows me the luxury of using plastic instead of aluminium. Now also time to state, I had fully intended to mill out the blocks of aluminium I bought for this project, but since I have a 3D printer now I am going to use it as much as possible to make a quality look for the convention pictures.

first let's start with the console, this one is built to the dimensions in the PDF plans, it is still in the rough stage but I needed it inside for measuring part sizes. 

image.jpeg

now we see the first part on the left and I will be posting all STL files in the 3D print section on PDF. I measured the size of the panel and made the part to fit that size as seen in other pictures of the original and the size is almost exact as in the plans. I still need to include the aircraft eyeball vent and paint a aluminium colour.

image.jpeg 

Next up is the base of the right section, I still need to add another layer under this part.

image.jpeg

I printed off the switch using the same percentage setting I used for the base.

image.jpeg

Next up was the Center console transmission plate. I made this to fit, but I'm not satisfied  with it yet and I'm presently making the part again in two sections a bit bigger so I can add the dome part.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Made a mistake above and hit send before I was finished, so I will continue here.

I printed off these little pieced in a brass filiment 

image.jpeg

next I printed off a stand block and a silver base for both pieces, though I seem to be missing one at the moment and the cat has a guilty look on his face. I bet it's under the couch!

image.jpeg

another run with the printer and I have the three light bases.

image.jpeg

I was going to buy these lights as I have all the other indicator lights in LED. But I had clear filiment and thought it would be worth a try to print them, I'm sastified with the results and will keep these printed versions. They actually look good when I light them up.

Often I run the printer while I'm at work or go to sleep, it's like getting a present daily. But this was a huge mistake in size and quite a surprise when I woke up in the morning!

image.jpeg

I printed in imperial size instead of metric, oh well it was a good laugh.

image.jpeg

In Canada we don't have the car that these mirror rubbers come from and after a day of searching for something similar I gave up and purchased flexible PLA filiment and just printed off the boots!

image.jpeg

I also decided to print off the switches that go in the boots. I do not need these functional so they will just be glu d into the flexible boots.

image.jpeg

Final post for today, here is my panel at present, I am re making the transmission plate to make it a bit bigger but all in all when these parts are painted they will be quite acceptable for the purpose intended.

image.jpeg

One thing I need to say is that all these files will be available in the 3D print section of PDF. Using the 3D printer has been an amazing bonus to my Dalek factory. I have to admit that I am NOT capable at present to draw anything in CAD. I did not create any of these STL files, in the 3D print section I will give full credit to the PDF member that without his help none of this would be possible.

Also I wish to thank other members that have taken the time to post 3D files, I have been using almost all of them. I just finished printing off hemispheres oil seals for Davros skirt as well as for a NSD I will be making next. As well as the oil seals, I have also printed off all the collar slats for the NSD as well as new ones for Dreadnaught!

Thank You all that have contributed to the 3D section of PDF, you folks are Fantastic!

image.jpeg

Thought I would add a bit about the 3D printer I am using, I got this toy a little over 3 months ago and it has been printing every day since purchase. Originally I had planned on buying one that was listed for $399 and I even did a test print on this unit and was quite happy with the results. But I decided to go with the Wanhao Duplicator 4s which is a dual head heated bed unit. It had the print size I desired and since the wife was with me and said to get the more expensive unit I didn't argue! After 30 yrs of marriage, when the wife says to do something I simply say Yes Dear! 

image.jpeg

i printed off this eye for Dreadnaught, I may use it I am not sure yet, but if not on Dreadnaught it will definitely be used in the Canadian Dalek Empires display booth as a Dalek periscope.

image.jpeg

so far everything I have printed is in PLA filiment which is why this printer is still in the living room. As soon as I use ABS I will move it to the workshop due to fumes the abs gives off. On the top of the printer you can see the oil seals of which I have printed over 120 of them, the NSD eyestalk from the 3D printer section of PDF and my first plunger. I will be making another plunger, half with flexible filiment and the other half with PLA this war I have a plunger that can suck the face off a human without harming them.

image.jpeg

Here are 4 things I have made, I am quite proud of each one!

image.jpeg

Nyder has been my newest addition, he is not finished yet as he is getting new belts and slats, he is also presently using Davros electric mobility chair and will be switched to foot power. Nice thing about Nyder is that he fits inside my wife's Chrysler PT Cruiser with the power chair and this allows me to visit smaller events that I don't have to set up a booth. In the past I omitted such events due to hassle of transporting with the truck and 25 ft enclosed trailer. Now instead of a $100.00 in fuel the same trip only costs $10.00 in the PT Cruiser. Plus their is just something about a shawcraft Dalek that makes them a pure joy to trundle in! Though that is not the available space! Keep in mind Dreadnaught is so spacious inside he actually has a mini-bar inside and air conditioning!

cdngoose

I was planning on pulling out the fibreglass skirt mood this morning but today being May 15 th and living in Canada I woke up to this!

image.jpeg

Yes that is SNOW! And it has been snowing on and off all day today, so no fibreglass work today, in fact I couldn't even decide if I had to mow the grass or shovel the driveway!

good news is that it will be 27deg Celsius by weeks end.

yes Welcome to Canada!

cdngoose

Well the day is already perking up, snow is gone and it is 14 deg out. So time to dig out fibreglass projects that need to be started this week.

first up my NSD skirt form. If you look back at Nyders build diary you will see how horribly wrong this process went. Nevertheless I did end up with a viable form and today I will start the repairs to that form in preparation of making 3 skirts.

deep in the basement is my storage. I have the room so I leave them assembled.

image.jpeg

yes the son got artistic on the walls, at least he didn't tag the neighbourhood, just our place.

image.jpeg

This is the skirt mould I made from Nyders skirt, since I was planning on Davros last year Nyders skirt is made from the NSD plans, though I don't think their is much of a difference from the Shawcraft skirt.

image.jpeg

Now for the ugly, when I applied the gelcoat to Nyders skirt a combination of too thin and 2 day old paint created ugly bubbles and paint separation on the skirt form, (not to mention 100 percent humidity at the time,) this transferred to the mould and is first order of business for today. I will mix up resin with talc filler and fill up all the wrinkles in the form. Then sand it all back to be ready for wax and fibreglass. Needless to say I will not be using gelcoat in any of these skirts! Since I will be painting everything I will just go heavy on the first layer of resin before I start adding the cloth.

image.jpeg

With all the skirt work I also have to make a form for this base, right after I body fill the seams, prime and paint it. This time I will give it at least a week to cure before making the mould. Why is there a shawcraft dome do you ask? Well I need to pop out three of these little critters for a future project going to charity and two for a local mom and son team that have been working frantically on their two shawcraft Daleks, I also believe my 3 d printer will be making some shawcraft Dalek eyes for all three projects!

thats it for today, it may be a few days before I get a chance to post again, I hate using my iPad with sticky fingers! But I will save the process pictures on my phone and upload when I get a chance.

cdngoose

Well, the Shawcraft film style skirt is what was used on on MT1, so that's about right.

I need advice, I am still a newbie to working with fiberglass, slapping it on a car and working with bondo is not a problem, but I have little knowledge when it comes to working with forms.

peel.jpg

I had planned on using resin mixed with baby powder to smooth these orange peel issues, but after a through cleaning yesterday I seem to have more than I thought I had and some are a little deep. Is it possible to use bondo ( autobody filler ) ? If yes, what would I use to seal the body filler before I start adding the parting wax in prep for the new skirt?  What have others done in this situation?

cdngoose

Body filler should work fine, just make sure that the area is clean before you add it. Pick off any loose bits and pop any air pockets before you start.

Maybe wipe it down with a rag soaked in acetone. If this softens the surface slightly it will help to give a good key. If the filler is sanded back with a fine grade of wet and dry (for final sanding), then it shouldn't need any further sealing, before the addition of parting wax. If you want to smooth and shine up the surface further, then use a cutting compound and plenty of elbow grease.

Thanks John spent most of today just doing repairs, I have been working on Davros skirt form hoping I can start making a Skirt tomorrow. Dreadnaught was also in need of Repairs after being backed into by a trailer during a Christmas Parade. But On a side note I have a visitor that dropped by to motivate me.

13246308_1497504973609102_5571468481979241895_o.jpg

YES My Master I will get your chair ready soon!

cdngoose

Well this week has been one of challenges, son moved to new residence, wife had must complete honey do list and absolute frustration with Fiberglass mold.

SO lets start off with Dalek duties, I must be ready for next weekend show in Niagara Falls Canada, first up is Dalek repairs.

13217180_813171572147983_173834774609621333_o.jpg

Dalek Nyder is getting new aluminum belts, slats and wire mesh, paint is toughed up and some minor electrical repairs and he is all set to go.

Dalek Drax is getting new Eyestalk complete with new eye and Disks, controller on wheelchair has been repaired and his paint is touched up.

Dalek Dreadnaught, as some of you know Dreadnaught was a victim of a hit and run by a large trailer while I was inside him and he was pushed back several feet, collapsing the Aluminum skirt and trapping my legs against the Electric wheelchair, His Aluminum base was bent the skirt was collapsed in and the motors for the electric wheelchair were damaged, also a loss was the fuse panel which was cracked in half. His fenders were also damaged and needed to be repaired. Though I had planned on a full restoration of Dreadnaught over the winter, Life got too busy and little was done except repairs. Everything has been corrected to as far as I need to for this summers shows, he is just in need of sanding and painting of complete lower half, then I will try my hand over the next few weeks at airbrushing a weathered look onto him.  

13305136_814632802001860_3444562375141035618_o.jpg

I have build Daleks out of Wood, and aluminum and I have used fiberglass extensively on domes and shapes , but I wanted to do a complete Fiberglass Dalek and I thought I would start on Davros Skirt first. A big part of this journey for me is to learn! Fiberglass is a new world to me and I'm jumping in. However, The moment has come in which you give up on what you want to learn for that which you know. I truly wanted Davros to have a fiberglass skirt from this mold. But I am just out of time trying to prep the mold for use. So time to switch to that which i know!

13305207_815004868631320_7760059289998692027_o.jpg

When learning becomes a detriment to a completion date switch to that which you do know well. Here is Davros new skirt it was supposed to be a floor to an airplane , now it will live its life as the Creator to the Universes Master Race. I know how to work in aluminum and I have all the tools, so last night when I threw in the towel ( temporarily) I ran to the hangar and bent this skirt up in a half hour. Should be painted tomorrow. Weather provided

3D Printer is running non stop for the next few days and I will also show the Davros progress parts that it is making,

Cdngoose

Need help, I have made this headrest 4 times now and trashed each one. I just had a friend disassemble it and draw up the angles and sizes in an easier to read format than the Davro's Plans. For those of you capable of doing this can you look at the drawings and tell me if you see any issues, they are attached below

Thanks

Cdngoose

HEADREST.PDF

Just a small update, with the event in which Davros having to attend is only two days away I have not had as much time as desired to keep up with my manual.

image.jpeg

the aluminium skirt has been sanded and etched using alumi prep and then primed with self etching primer.

image.jpeg

while the skirt is drying I moved onto the base. This is very much a NSD base.

image.jpeg

paint, I got the black painted on the skirt and base, though it was late and it got dark out when I did the last coat. In the morning I found a couple of mosquitos had decided to do the back stroke.

image.jpeg

here is the first 30 hemis getting ready for paint, I use the fill able ornament versions in all my builds.

image.jpeg

also been working on the panel, the 3D printed parts really look great for the camera, which is exactly as I desired! They don't pass the purest human test, but they shine for the enthusiastic fan with a camera!

more to come, long hours to go!

Who likes puzzles? Yup 3D printer runs amok once again!

image.jpeg

need to clean up, assemble and build then I will paint. This ought to be a fun project

cdngoose

I will finish this build diary in a couple of days, but I can't resist posting the picture of my forum at the show

.image.jpeg

the final result is decent, I still have a lot of work to do but I'm happy how this looks right now! So off to day three of the show!