Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

cdngoose

Cdngoose 2008 Davros

28 posts in this topic

I have a lot of work remaining on Davros even though he has attended his first event, I am quite unhappy with several aspects of this build that I rushed at the last minute. So now that the event is over and it will be more than a month before the next one I will start back into this build in a couple of days. First I have to recover from exhaustion and discover what the inside of my house and eyelids look like. But for a first showing I was quite pleased, I also learned on thing, I will also add a Calpadi aspect to this chair so I can go out as Davros and as Capaldi! 

But here is another couple of pictures from over the weekend.

image.jpeg

this is almost a painting in style, but I remember passing this child and as I waved I said Soon you will make a good slave for my Daleks, then he screamed!

image.jpeg

she looks so terrified! Well maybe not! But she screamed at me to stop for this selfie, I took many pictures this weeeekend and it was kind of a neat experience to be able to put my hand on people's shoulders and on top of children's heads. 

Cdngoose

SO lets catch up on some of the areas I missed posting. Painting, I did a lot of it in the last week and went through almost a gallon in three different colours, Green for Dreadnaught which ended up being 8 layers to get the proper hue to match the rest of him, Black for Davros skirt and base and Nyders fender, silver for the rest of the parts of Davros.. Now with all that I ended up being quite unhappy with the silver I have for the use in Davros, it is more of a metal base and has black flecks in it. As I was finishing the painting I was already planning on stripping it all after the show  to re paint at a later date, that is until this morning, I have just watched the witches familiar episode and I believe I am closer than I thought and will try to just tone it down with weathering airbrush work later.

painted backrest.jpgpainted console.jpg

With the console and backrest painted I can move on to the wheelchair installation and Base install.

modified chair.jpg

I almost always use the Jazzy 1103 wheelchair as I like how small it is and requires almost nothing to use in a Dalek skirt, but alas this time I did not have one available so I used this Pride chair. Now I had to weld on several brackets to support the base and in all calculations I actually had to turn the chair around and will be operating it backwards.

controller.jpg

an unexpected snag as I found a problem with the charging and operation of the wheelchair controller, I was thinking it was a broken wire but after taking the controller apart I found a couple of cold solder joints..On the plus side the batteries are almost new 51 amp hour monsters.

controller solder.jpg

I magnified the camera to show the crack in the solid wires that come from the controllers external input to the board, This is a typical spot for repair and it stops the chair from charging and from the controller operating the wheelchair. All I had to do was touch it with a wet soldering iron and it is fixed.

base cutout.jpg

Next up is the base, now that I know I will be using a viable wheelchair and not have to go to the Flintstone last resort I measured out the chair install and cut the base to fit onto it.

base hemis.jpg

I am running out of time and have had to work 3 days straight now to finish up in time. this means no sleep. This whole week from Sunday to Friday I will have only gotten 13 hours of sleep, and without the help of Dalek Clann I don't know if I would have even gotten that much. Good thing I don't have a desk job. so above you can see the installation of the hemispheres with using the 3D printed oil seals I have posted in the file section.

stackup.jpg

Now time for a painted stack up, plus Dalek Nyder, unfortunately I ran out of time for Nyder to have his slats installed, but he looks grand with his new belts.

Remember I live in a small community, plus I am in the middle of Amish community and my neighbors think I'm just a little strange as most have NO IDEA what a TV is let alone what Doctor Who is ! So for them to see this in my driveway is akin to me being Lucifer, though now I can tell them to call me Davros( same as Lucifer isn't it?)

street picture.jpg

SO this is everything just about ready to go to the show, Dreadnaught will have his hemis installed at the show, Nyder will require some wiring, Drax is all set and Davros will require all the wiring to be done on Saturday morning.

On top of all my Daleks I also have to install my Tardis

tardis.jpg

Luckily I do not have to do any repairs to the Tardis and it looks good installed in the Photo booth.

I am tired now and will take a few days off from Dalek work, I need to turn my attention to getting the MGB on the road and some work around the house. But I still have several things to do to this project and will post them as I get back to it. Also have to work on Drax and finish Nyders slats. I have already started making parts for Charity Dalek a New NSD to add to my collection. On top of all this I would like to replace Davros Skirt with a fiberglass version and use the aluminium one for Charity. So I will return to fixing the mold this weekend to get that process started.

Cdngoose

although I am not done this build by a long shot and will be working on it all weekend, I do finally have a few pictures from last weekends first showing.

13342945_10157765506940206_2253431256645915709_n.jpg13392305_10157765518530206_5392938575679105244_o.jpg13413519_10157765520830206_3860289167364052905_n.jpg13433108_10157765507000206_2160600577941522913_o.jpg13445577_10157765514895206_5266854184644025301_n.jpg

I have a lot of work to do on Davros but I am quite proud of my progress and this is the first time in my life I have ever worn a mask! I think it Is Fantastic!

This build though finished and at conventions will now see a new life of posts in this construction diary. 

I am very happy with the hardware and the mask is an amazing likeness of the creator  however it is the most disgusting thing to wear! Made from latex it is good and provides for a great static price for the booth but I wish to replace the mask with a silicone version. 

My latex mask is poor fitting in my nose area and it fails to stay near my lips so almost every breath I exhale has moisture that weeps into the mask and after an hour of use when I pull it off their is actually a river of sweat that actually pours out and then takes almost an hour to dry out even with  a wipe out after each use. 

So a new mask is a necessity and I am aiming at something that has a whole day wearability. It must be skin tight which the silicone is far better suited for and the nostrils must enter into my nose as well as the lips of the mask must go inside my mouth thus allowing every exhale to exit my body and not enter into the mask. I understand that a silicone mask is hotter to wear but it will be nothing compared to the one I presently have endured. 

First up is to actually make a life cast of my own face and shoulders, instead of using a styrofoam version that has been roughly adjusted to relative dimensions of my face.

IMG_0268.thumb.JPG.7684aecb2ac47237c8d59368d8407428.JPGIMG_0267.thumb.JPG.423b2cb91512ab3b8b609e1f33409cdf.JPGIMG_0266.thumb.JPG.56e6a004d108cb37229b6b732d39ff20.JPGIMG_0265.thumb.JPG.6fac7b606cc451b5da116d2a30482665.JPGIMG_0264.thumb.JPG.16a14918607674df39cd7adba799bd2f.JPGIMG_0263.thumb.JPG.c04fe48b1732a88a436f624d720a187b.JPGIMG_0262.thumb.JPG.4efc37d090e2323fea8f704385f1d555.JPG

this is a messy procedure. Instead of doing a alginate or silicone mould of my face I had two accomplices just use the plaster bandages. I do not need super fine details for making this mask just the details of my face and a casting with an open mouth. This is quite difficult to do a closed mouth cast is far easier to do but I will need to have the masks lips tucked into my mouth.

image.thumb.jpg.0b28687e7b8ba2c2c25cc49803e6bb4d.jpg

now that the casting has been removed and I took a very long and hot shower to get rid of all the vasalene the cast is drying out. Soon I will add more plaster bandages to seal nostrils and to weld the two halves together. 

This is a secondary project to my 3 Imperialistic Daleks but I will do my best to keep at it when not working on daleks  I am hoping to have this new Davros mask for June 1st which means I will have at least one more show with the latex mask

Cdngoose

Alright all sorts of comments have been made for this picture below some of which are not appropriate for this forum and some just down right disgusting. But my wife is having a great laugh and is asking if I need to tell her something even though she was present all day! 

IMG_0261.thumb.JPG.fa2f855c9d34f9e555fd592789c0abc1.JPG

ahh nothing like a smoke after a busy day! Ok that didn't help either!

I have brushed the inside of the mould with Vaseline and then mixed up quite a bit of Ultracal 30 and poured it in the mould. For about 10 minutes I have been tapping on the mould to remove air bubbles. And though it is supposed to be set in 30 minutes I will leave it for the night and demould in the morning. 

IMG_0270.thumb.JPG.2c17616c030296c880602947dfba92c8.JPG

Thanks for Following my adventures

Cdngoose

This morning I pulled my bust out of the mould and it turned out quite well. I have started removing the wrinkles from the bald cap and a few from my face :) 

IMG_0271.thumb.JPG.c1000d67ef0f821bf91433e34ad13b2e.JPG

of course the mould is destroyed , but it has done its duty. 

IMG_0273.thumb.JPG.78eacd0ebe19ea23760f421308687308.JPGIMG_0272.thumb.JPG.cf161f38406c942edeef5cae62cca72a.JPG

I have spent the next 3 hours trimming and cleaning 

IMG_0274.thumb.JPG.1c89ecc46acaadd72fea0594e1d0c0bb.JPG

I still have quite away to go but I have opened the mouth and mistrals as the new mask will enter into both those areas. I do have a lot of work to do around the eyes for later masks but for Davros they are almost perfect for making the eye features so for now I am going to leave them alone. When I need to define them better in a few months I will just have to use a dremeil instead of a knife 

cdngoose

I have smoothed the mould out as best as I could and well enough to call it finished. But I still had some air bubbles and seams to do a build up on. So I mixed up a little bit of Ultracal 30 and used my fingers to apply and fill in any defects. When this dries I will give it a light sanding and then seal the whole thing and start on the process of making my mask plug. I will use krylon crystal clear and do 3-4 coats. Then I will move the bust inside and put it on a lazy Susan so I can start turning my head into Davros using NSP clay and spend time watching the tv 

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.9a841d919eceae28e77a3f88250c6c13.JPGimage.thumb.jpg.79a4dc447ebd2e59474c33394cfa03c3.jpg

Now I must add that this is the first time I have done this process and I am learning as I go. If anyone has any suggestions to offer I am wide open for all knowledge. I wanted to learn this process for a few reasons firstly a Davros mask that is skin tight and very expressive. Secondly we spend the year raising funds for Sick Kids Hospitals and as such our booth is fantastic with the props I have made. However besides my Tardis our booth is primarily Daleks and we do have a couple of good cosplays but nothing like what I want for the future so this is the first steps towards making many Who creatures for our booth display  

cdngoose

Ok so wife walks into workshop and says Hello. Then turns sharply to new bust and says Hello Odo! It took me a few seconds then I smiled! I was thinking more Data but Odo works

IMG_0279.thumb.JPG.3b12b82d0eb3a5b2fe757647f20ffb36.JPG

cdngoose

On 3/13/2017 at 19:33, cdngoose said:

Now I must add that this is the first time I have done this process and I am learning as I go. If anyone has any suggestions to offer I am wide open for all knowledge.

Check out Neill Gorton's excellent DVD series 'Creating Character Prosthetics in Silicone' 

http://shop.mfxwarehouse.co.uk/dvds/dvd-s/the-art-of-silicone-prosthetics/creating-character-prosthetics-in-silicone-compilation-set.htm

They're not cheap but you can stream them which is a cheaper option.

It covers every aspect in great detail and will probably save you a lot of time, money and heartache as there's aspects of the process that you might not have considered yet, such as reinforcing certain areas of the mask and placing of bleed holes.

I used the techniques for my Thade mask

http://shop.mfxwarehouse.co.uk/customers-dvd-gallery/planet-of-the-apes-mask-by-ray-phillips.htm

Ray

www.rayphillips.co.uk

Thanks Ray the DVD's look excellent and I have ordered the whole series. I have an extreme lack of knowledge in this area and I am very eager to learn. 

Cdngoose

No worries, you'll not regret getting them. They really are superb.

I've been looking at the photos of your current mask, can I ask where you got it?

Cheers

Ray

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ray, though the $200 dollar bill was a little hard to swallow I have spent a lot more on mistakes in the past and have learned education is always the cheaper route. 

As for my previous mask, hence the main reason for me embarking on suck a steep learning curve in a short time. I would love to have worked with the fellow that helped make my first mask. But the information I had on him is no longer valid and I was unable to track him down. I made several mistakes on the first mask in how it fits and  that is the only issue I had with it. I was hoping to send a lifecast to the fellow and have a fitted version done instead of just sending measurements but it looks like I will be embarking on a new adventure out of necessity 

Edited by John

I have decided to wait for the ordered DVDs before I start on the clay side of this project. I am quite sure of the steps I must take but it is best to study first. So in that I have not done much else to my bust other than seal it. For that I used several layers of krylons clear sealer. It seems to work well and the bust now looks ready to go. I will set it on a lazy Susan in the living room so I can work in front of the tv. I just know the wife will be happy to see me inside the house for a change, so I plan on alternating days 2 or 3 in workshop and one inside with wife and my bust. 

IMG_0309.thumb.JPG.d0144735c662f41c3dcce2cdbcbfc45c.JPG

that counts as quality time time doesn't it? 

Cdngoose