Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

omegagamer89

NSD Dome Light Lenses Unavailable - Any Ideas For Alternatives?

16 posts in this topic

So yeah, moflash is no longer making the lense used on the NSD dome lights. Anyone have any ideas for alternative items, parts, pieces, etc, that can be used instead?

I have a convention in June 1, and im hoping to have my dalek done before them, but as it stands even if i get done i won't have dome lights. 

Potentially you could cast a set if you could get a hold of one, I have seen a few people make two part silicone moulds that appear to work well.

Id considered that but as I need this for a convetion in just over two weeks, the only really feasible option would be something thats pre-made. Right now Im thinking of trying to find a clear plastic cup that looks similar enough. I actually have some I used as actual dishes that look decent, but theyre too big. Im going to look around next time Im out at the department store.

I've got some less than perfect casts.  Given that moflash has stopped supporting us I've been planning to give it another try.  Unfortunately my next attempts won't be ready in time for your con, but I can send you what I've got.  Have a look at my Dalek Luce build diary and if you are interested PM me your address.  They aren't perfect, but should be better than any cups you could find in time.

Mike

I have just uploaded a 3D printable Moflash lens to the 3D section of PDF it should be available to members in a couple of Days when John or another admin approves its posting. This should allow you enough time to print a couple off at a local Library in clear PLA filament.

Cdngoose

Edited by cdngoose

omegagamer89 the files are now available to download, you should be able to get these printed off and be in time for your show. If you are unable to get this done let me know and I will print off a couple and send them to you. Though I am out of clear filament I do have some that is clearish and would work well. Check out my Davros build and look at the parts I have printed for the panel, I have 3 little dome lenses, they are clear and let the light shine through but have a milky white to them. I believe this actually enhances the light and I will be using this filament for my NSD Moflash lens. I live only 4 hours away from you so I should be able to get them to you by mail. Due to this being a Dalek part, I will be out of pocket for these, but If you cant find a local source to print these files I am more than happy to help a fellow Dalek builder out.

cdngoose

The only place I would have access to a 3D printer is the local maker space, but they charge a $150 a month membership fee with a 6 month committment, which I really cant justify considering that the lenses would be more or less the only thing Id be using it for. If you would be willing to print up a set for me I would be SO grateful! If theyre a little bit milky or not perfectly clear thats perfectly fine with me. Honestly I think it looks even better with that sort of frosted glass look than it would perfectly clear. I know it has to be out of pocket due to copyright and all that, but Id be more than happy to return the favor if you ever need a part that I have or anything like that. Ill Pm you with my address. Thanks a bunch!

11 hours ago, elembivos said:

I've got some less than perfect casts.  Given that moflash has stopped supporting us I've been planning to give it another try.  Unfortunately my next attempts won't be ready in time for your con, but I can send you what I've got.  Have a look at my Dalek Luce build diary and if you are interested PM me your address.  They aren't perfect, but should be better than any cups you could find in time.

Mike

I took a look at your diary and those casts look great! I greatly appreciate the offer, and I might take you up on it in the future, but right now my immediate concern is finding someone workable as soon as possible, before the convention. Thank you though! :)

From my printing software

Build time: 13 hours 41 minutes

Filament length: 30438.9 mm

Plastic weight: 91.52 g (0.20 lb)

Material cost: 4.21

I have changed a couple of settings and will be printing both lens at the same time. I did a through cleaning and leveling which takes about an hour and your lamps are just now starting to print. Hopefully all goes well as I will have to go to work soon and will be leaving the printer on its own. These parts should be done when I get back. Now just a caveat to everyone. This is a special circumstance that was explained to me in a PM, so I have no issue at this time to print these off for omegagamer89. I have also done work for other Canadian Dalek Empire members. He will also be on the hook for bringing his Dalek to Canada for the 55th Anniversary special event we have planned at Fan Expo.

Most library's now have 3d printers as well as schools  and can be used for a minor cost compared to the maker places. Also keep in mind  a brand new printer that makes good quality parts is not out of reach for most of us! Tell the significant other that it will save you far more than it costs, or it makes a nice present.

I got mine here and originally this is the model I was after

https://digitmakers.ca/product/3d-printer-duplicator-i3-steel-frame-assembled/

In the states at the local dealer that is $399.00, this is not a sales pitch, as I receive nothing for this info, but I have always shared what I feel is valuable for information.

cdngoose

I should have some spare moflash lenses. When I brought mine back in 2005 I had to buy in bulk. As far as I remember I only sold one par to another builder. Al the parts for my build are still boxed so I should have some in perfect condition.

omegagamer89,Mark Perry has original lenses and I will not be offended if you go that route and get the original look for your Dalek, but if you still wish for a set of 3d printed ones I have made a set and can send them out today.

SO I tried to print two of these at a time and I inverted them so I would not waste material as filler, I failed! then I tried to print just one and Failed again. So I went back to the original orientation and all is well in the world and I have a nice set of printed Moflah units.

image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPGimage4.JPG

Above are the pictures I took during and after printing, first one is nearing the end of print and the second is print finished. The third one is with the filler removed while the last one is with a flashlight with weak batteries. all in all I prefer this look over the original Moflash unit, I like the silver finish and it glows nicely.. Once the light hits it their is an oddness about the silver glow that makes it far more Dalek worthy!

Enjoy, and with the discontinued production of these lenses take heart that we will have them forever now! Gone are the days of scrounging and pleading in back corners for obscure parts to make our obsession!

These and many others files are available to everyone in the 3D print section. I will try to do everything in my power to EXTERMINATE obsolete part searches!

cdngoose

Edited by cdngoose
spelling error

Messaged both of you. :)

Lenses have been sent, PM ed a tracking number. Please post pictures of lamps installed and lets see how the semi transparent versions work. I think they will be fantastic.

cdngoose

Have you considered printing the entire light cage (including the exposed areas of lens) in one go? It could be done in semi-transparent and the aluminium bits painted.

Now that's a neat Idea, I have a dual head printer and can run both clear and aluminium in one print. But many members are just starting in the 3D arena and most will likely have just a starter printer. I have tested the Wanhao 3i which is a single head printer for $399 and it does great quality for such a cheap price on the Dalek parts I tried, so keeping the files simple was a key thought. Though I may give the combining a go and post the results as this is well within my capabilities. However it will have to wait till after my next event. My printer hasn't stopped in the last week and I had to fit in the two lenses for Omega to get his Dalek ready for a show.

I still need to get someone to draw up in CAD Davros head gear apparatus  then I can get it printed along with a few other parts in the next week!

Anyone care to donate some CAD time and help me get the head apparatus drawn up for my Davros?

cdngoose

I found a dimensionally similar lense but it does not have the side ribs on e-bay.  (470-L-Clear Tomar Strobe Lens For Model 470 Tomar Clear in Color) $9.00 UDS + shipping

I'm using them on my NSD.

s-l1600a.jpgs-l1600b.jpg