Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

iansrobinson

Ian's Dead Planet Regeneration

33 posts in this topic

Firstly, I wouldn't worry too much about asymmetry. Even asymmetry to the extent that you are describing on your shoulders is not uncommon on the 'real' props. Take a look at the gun/arm holes on the black dalek in DIOE for example and you'll see what I mean. Bear in mind that the rear corners of the shoulders will be covered by the collars, for the most part. Some clever variations in the collar spacers might render the whole problem virtually undetectable.

If you do opt to chop and change, then I would suggest car body filler is going to be the best option. Go for the 'easy sand' version and build it up gradually, in layers. I suspect that plaster will not adhere to the existing surface properly and may just fall off. If I was tackling this, I'd probably only deal with the issues that are obvious to the eye, without measuring. That would probably just be the hole sizes. I'd cover the holes from the front, with something hot-glued into position and then fill up the holes from the inside using GRP. Once that was cured I'd remove the external covers and smooth out the surface, marking the centre points for the new holes.

If the boxes are so out of alignment that you can readily see it, then maybe remove the side, from the longest box and then re-fibreglass it into position, to match the shorter one?

I do believe that you'll be just fine, without going too mad on renovations. The gun/arm boxes on original props where all over the place, it's just part of their charm. :)

The real props I have inspected were wildly asymmetrical. I have seen rear-corner 'roundness differences' pretty much as your comparison shows. ;) Unless it's really bothering you, I would consider addressing only the "worst" problems.

Wise heads - thank you. I think I'll try and fix the gun hole pretty much in line with John's suggestion, but nothing else.