Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimmybav

Wheels. What Type, Size And Quantity Worked Best For You?

7 posts in this topic

Looking at replacing my three castors which are 100mm for some 125mm but I was curious if anyone else would share some specifics about the kind of wheels they found worked well. 

Im in the planning stages of rebuilding my fender and having the wheels attached to that, hence the question being in this section. 

Jimmy

my pic is of one possible candidate from eBay. 

IMG_2881.PNG

The bigger the better. 150mm on my last build. You will need to recess the wheels into your fender / base to get the ride height right.

RV

I used 100m wheels on Ron they gave me 125mm of ground clearance and at  £15 for 4 not bad price .they work great quite smooth only time will tell 

20160901_212533.jpg

Maybe you could search wheels, castors or casters (titles only, using advanced search)? ;) 

Results such as:

http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?/topic/1558-size-of-casters-castors-wheels/

http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?/topic/9495-number-of-wheels/

There are other results too. Saves everyone repeating themselves. ;) 

Thank you all for your replies. 

I agree that searching can reveal some gems and I hope nobody feels that they must repeat themselves but has the opportunity to contribute if they wish to.

I did a lot of searching and scouring build diaries etc and decided to post this particular question because someone may have a recent wheel related discovery to share, somebody may feel like the wheels they used and recorded in their build diaries weren't all that good, certain wheels may not be available if they were mentioned in 2007 (just a stab, but one post began in 06), a new reliable eBay (or other online) seller of wheels has become known. Did someone use polyurethane wheels with plastic centres?

I feel it would be important to keep data like that up to date for current builders especially if they are somewhat reliant on electronic vendors. 

Quite true. There are some things on PDF that date back to just before Noah built his ark. ;) We try to keep them updated. At least you're aware of the search function. It's a mystery to many people, so we try to keep on top of the old questions that re-surface. When we tell one person, we're telling everyone.

You've been to John Kelly's build diary. I think he was the most recent member to talk about wheels/castors.

I went with 3" casters, but mine is never meant to go on rough ground. You need to balance this up with ground clearance and height considerations, much of which will depend on your build technique. Plus, of course, which type of Dalek you are building. 

Ultimately, best advice is to measure, a lot.

Revvo made the original casters used apparently, the Keystone Caster Co in the UK sells them.