Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

DalekLisak

Daleklisak's Imperial Dalek Inquisitor

12 posts in this topic

Well for some reason the Dalek Forums are acting up a lot whenever I try to start a new topic, so best keep it here !

After looking through some Dalek build diaries and with the help of Tk7273, I ordered in some plastic 10cm Christmas baubles. They arrived today and to say the least I was grinning with anticipation to work on them :)

Now that I have these bauble pieces that are the perfect size, I know that they will need the tabs cut off at the side, but I currently unsure if I should cut off the edge on each side that lets them connect together. On top of that I am also unsure of how to actually attach them to the skirt. I know that bolting them to the skirt is probably the cheapest and easiest method but will I need to cut out a thin surface on the back out of something like mdf or wood so that it can be secured right ? I was also wondering if I could get some critique on the Dalek Inquisitor colour plans that I am showing. 

Jake dalek bulbs (1).JPGJake dalek bulbs (2).JPGJake dalek bulbs (3).JPGJake dalek bulbs (4).JPGJake dalek bulbs (5).JPGJake dalek bulbs (6).JPGDalek Inquisitor Colour Scheme (2).png

Edited by John
Topic split. Photos added in a line (we avoid columns of pics as it looks untidy).

Hi i very much like your colour scheme your going for its something different and I like originality. On my hemis I scored round the lip that fits the baubles together with a craft knife and then gently break it off with some long nose pliers same for the tab then I filed them with a small file it was very time consuming took me about 3-4 hours. As for fixing them to the skirt I glue 60mm m4 bolts into them. first I use 2 part epoxy but found some of them were breaking off so I tried some glue called sticks like s**t that I read about on here and so far they stayed put .good luck ☺

Is the Dalek inquisitor from some Doctor Who novel or some other expanded universe material? Also I love that colour scheme as it is unique and the green dome lights look neat.

Edited by 3Dalek

Thanks both of you ! Well I was inspired by a Dalek from the novels called Dalek X (or also known as the Dalek Inquisitor General) and Mechmaster's Second Empire comic. I was thinking what if the Emperor had a high sect of Imperial Daleks that keep other Daleks in line so that they never betray their godly Emperor. He wont look exactly like a 2005 NSD Dalek as I have to make my own design as my teachers say, but he will still look a bit close to the original design. Mostly with a menacing claw, small details at the back, maybe some spiked detail on the stalk like the New Paradigm design and possibly some kind of struts like the Supreme Dalek. Thanks again for help TK ! Although when you say bolt them do you mean as in right in the center ? I am sorry if I am being a bit of a dunse but I have never used bolts before and I do not know how I can bolt the hemisphere to a surface. Will the bolt have to go through the top of it ? 

Hi I glued the Bolts into centre of the hemis inside and drilled holes in my skirt panels pushed them through and secured with a nut ☺

Ahhhh ok I get it now ! Thanks for that ! :D

@DalekLisak You're going to find the build a lot easier if you spend as long as possible reading other people's build diaries and searching the forum. Bolt-on hemis are one of the basics. ;) 

I like the scheme a lot too. Not sure about the green lights though. I think you should consider 'warm' white leds which would be an neat call back to the Planet of the Daleks Supreme. It's all personal taste. But that's the only critique I can offer because I can't wait to see it built!

Hmm yeah I need to look into more diaries and really give them a good look... 

Back again ! After two days of cutting and sanding I managed to clean up all 60 of the soon to be hemispheres after getting some advice from TK (Thanks again :D) with only one of them cracking slightly. Currently going through other builds to see the best way to create the rims on each one, won't have enough money to buy all of the oil seals as they did on the show :)

This is a small batch of eight of them, all cut and smoothed :) 

Camera 3757 008.JPG

Some bits are rough on the inside but when the outer layer gets painted, the rim gets added and its bolted on they wont be visible at all. 

Camera 3757 017.JPGCamera 3757 018.JPGCamera 3757 025.JPG

Looking around as well for techniques to attach the bolt to the hemisphere (with one from TK again :) ) And still looking around for more. 

There's a YouTube called Dalek diaries where a chap uses epoxy and the nylon bolts. Worth a look. 

Ah brilliant thanks for that jimmybav ! Will look into it now ! Sorry all that I have not been on recently I have been super busy with college and an interview for a propmaking course :).  Plans are still going for the Imperial Dalek Inquisitor with the teachers still giving the green light for its construction, which will be soon hopefully when the specialization sessions on my course come to an end so that I can specialize in 3D. Soon I will be going out to buy the nuts and bolts for the hemispheres as well as the MDF for most of the body. I am also been having a bit of a debate on how the claw should look so I will need some opinions from my fellow Dalek lovers once I upload the brainstorm design sheet I am currently working on if that is ok :)