Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

DalekLisak

Daleklisak's Imperial Dalek Inquisitor

23 posts in this topic

When I was building my dalek my missus couldn't take me out shopping because I was always picking up things that looked like I could use them on my dalek there's a lot of ready made things out there that can used on a dalek :)

Haha when I went shopping out today with my Mother to pick stuff up for the Dalek she had to reign me in multiple times to stop me from spending all of my money :P

Ok more progress news !! Currently have twelve hemispheres with 8mm bolts glued directly into the center with washers on standby to attach when the MDF panels have been cut out and ready. Will take some pics tomorrow with some on a piece of scrap wood.  Currently though after sifting through the Builder's Workshop Manual and a few build diaries I am struggling to choose on what kind of MDF to use for the panels on the side, with what research I have done people seem to go for either 4mm or 6mm. Originally I thought 4mm was the only one people used and after visiting my local Wickes and B&Q I found no 4mm MDF whatsoever. Could only find 6mm and above. I have bookmarked on my computer an Ebay supplier that sells some MDF sheets where you can choose the thickness and sizes of the boards (Here is a link to it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MDF-Medium-Density-Fibreboard-MDF-sheets-/181936420510?var=&hash=item2a5c41769e:m:md2nDTsno1C5FGEQDNA9AFA ) but I am trying to work out which is best as 4mm costs slightly more than 6mm. Will keep doing some research while gluing more of the hemispheres :) 

Hi i wanted 3mm mdf for my panel's but I could only find 2mm locally and i think it only cost about  £7 for a 8ft x 4ft sheet to do all the panel's and it was easy to use I think most people just use what's available at the time :)

Will go a round B&Q and Wickes tomorrow and compare the prices for the 6mm MDF :) Thanks again TK.

Been working on the MDF panels for the skirt out of 6mm MDF. Will have pictures at the ready tomorrow although right now I am having my doubts suddenly about this project getting completed. As of now I only have three panels left to measure out the drill holes for the hemispheres (with the biggest rear panel on my table all measured out and ready for drilling. The official date to start this project is the 3rd of April but to get ahead of the game as you can see I have started making parts in advance, although even with this head start I have a nervous feeling I wont get it done in time....

Posted (edited)

Finally got the panels cut out, now just got to buy some 12mm plywood for the top, bottom and supports for the skirt. Hemispheres fit nice and snug in the bolt holes which is good although I have had two incidents where they were knocked off by accident. Good thing I got a few hemispheres on the side for quick replacements while the other one is repaired :)

Here are the pics of the panels all arranged out. Not all of the panels are perfect, but once the base frame has been done and the panels have been sanded to fit snugly I will try and fix up any mistakes. 

Camera 3860 002.JPGCamera 3860 003.JPGCamera 3860 030.JPGCamera 3860 036.JPG58cdb40e94054_Camera3860039.thumb.JPG.9b9a95a7e498556d45fcf396512344ae.JPG

Edited by DalekLisak

Looking good so far keep up the good work :)