Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

DalekSupreme4

Perforated Movie Neck Bin Mesh

42 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I've found  a close - if not exact -match for the perforated Neck bin movie mesh. I believe Roberts radios (particularly the R200 series) has the correct aluminium mesh.

They also produced the mesh in brass but It was definitely aluminium used on the Movie props. The 'Bion' factory that produced the mesh in the 1960's (and still produces mesh for 'Roberts' radios

today) isn't all that far away from where Shawcraft was based so I'm hoping there might be some connection there. The mesh they produce now for their vintage replica radios is sadly too course and is more similar to the kitchen extractor fan mesh. The mesh was also used on 60's MK2 Jaguar radio grills too, so keep an eye out if you see some.

s-l1600.jpgs-l16001.jpgs-l16004.jpgs-l16006.jpg

These are the Ebay listing pics but I've some more detailed ones of the mesh on my phone I'll post later.

I've a sample taken from a battered 60's Roberts radio to send of to 'Bion' to see if they can replicate it. I spoke to someone at the factory and they did say I could send a sample for them

to examine and see if they could replicate it. Obviously It would be cheaper in bulk and could be sold on the forum if people are interested. I've no Idea if they'll simply say we can't do it or

if they'll bite, but I did state that it was from their factory and she seemed a bit more interested. I've got to drop them an email first and organise sending the mesh and we'll see what they

say. Hopefully it won't be some ridiculous figure ££££ :blink:.

All the best,

M

I'd be interested to see what you come up with. Neck mesh is causing mesh some headaches at the moment, I can't find a solution I'm happy with...

Just had a look at their website - the company began just 1 year before the 1st movie, if they were the supplier, it must have been quite a thing for them supplying into the film industry so early!

Cheers, Scott

Edited by ScottBouch

It's interesting though that the original TV props didn't sport this mesh before the company was established which again suggests a likely link. 

I imagine Shawcraft wouldn't have told them what the mesh was for they probably saw it on either a car or portable radio and said 'Oh! thats the new mesh that

factory, a few miles down the road, makes. we'll ask if we can by any spare off them' (as you can tell i've been predicting what conversations were like in the 60's for a long time :P).

Still haven't sent the email or the sample off to them yet. Appologies. I've a mountain of Daleky things to catch up on and I'm in that state where you dread having to do any of them lol.

But also note that the TV hero props never had the movie mesh (AFAIK) post movies... they stuck with the diamond expanded mesh...

It'd be interesting to directly ask if they supplied to Shawcraft for Daleks, or if anyone's parents worked there back then and can remember. I'd be amazed if they still had records going that far back.

It'd be great to hear what you find out!

Cheers, Scott

Well I had thought about that but I haven't told them it's for a Dalek as some people don't like Daleks or just think your a nerd in general so I'm going 

with radios and people with Mk 2 jaguars to impress them. 

Yes the TV props do have the diamond mesh but they only created two more props (I think) for 1964's invasion.

They didn't make any more TV style props for a while (apart from 'curse of the Daleks' which features the new perforated mesh), with the original 6 being modified throughout the years. So I think thats probably why & obviously shacraft didn't make any 70's props so the bion company was probably forgotten about.

Mind you I'm still assuming that bion made the mesh in the first place and could be completely wrong and make a big fool of myself lol. :( 

Edited by DalekSupreme4

Haha, what's worse, being a Dalek nerd or vintage radio nerd?

I'm both unfortunately... :o/

It's very easy to make a fool out of yourself online, something i'm particularly good at! But you never know, this research may come up trumps! Imagine if they still had the original tooling that made the movie Dalek mesh tucked away at the back of a store room!

It's all "if's and buts" but if you don't ask, you don't know..

Good luck, Scott

23 hours ago, DalekSupreme4 said:

Yes the TV props do have the diamond mesh but they only created two more props (I think) for 1964's invasion.

They didn't make any more TV style props for a while (apart from 'curse of the Daleks' which features the new perforated mesh), with the original 6 being modified throughout the years. So I think thats probably why & obviously shacraft didn't make any 70's props so the bion company was probably forgotten about.

I don't think it's a diamond mesh on the TV Props. It does look so from a distance, but I've got a couple of fairly hires pictures of Daleks 1, 2 and 6 from around the time of THE CHASE and DMP, and when you zoom in really close, it looks more like small roughly circular perforations rather than expanded 'diamond' mesh. This is especially evident at lighter points on the neckbin (either missed painting black, or smeared with silver paint off the neck rings). It doesn't look *exactly* like the movie mesh, admittedly, but the resolution is always going to be a bit limited at this level of detail.

Interestingly, Dalek 7 appears to have TV style neck mesh, despite being constructed around the same time as the first batch of movie Daleks, and I can't see Shawcraft differentiating between two differed types of gauze...

I was told by the company foreman that Shawcraft looked after the various Dalek props until the end of the 60's, despite their dwindling work on the series (which I believe ended around mid-1967). Certainly, the coarser diamond mesh was put on by the BBC in the early 70s when the props were revamped for DAY OF THE DALEKS.

Edited by John P Kelly

I have some of this type of mesh, but in steel. It's quite a bit different to all of the modern meshes I've seen. It's more like a cheese grater in miniature, with much less 'open' area than expanded mesh.

When the original movie Dalek was put up for auction in Derby I took a bit with me to compare against the original. The rusty bit on the left is the steel sample I took - the original stuff was aluminium. 

moviemesh.jpg

The holes looked perhaps a little larger on my sample, but we couldn't be sure due to the thick layer of paint on the Dalek mesh. Also, the two examples of mesh are not being photographed at exactly the same angle, which is crucial with this stuff as the holes change shape quite dramatically depending on the angle it is being viewed from. Either way this stuff is by far the closest I've ever seen. If they can make something like this again it will be well worth it.

Now you mention it, I can see what look like tiny circular holes on early TV props. This is Dalek 6 in DIOE.

TVmesh.jpg

The early TV mesh does indeed look like tiny circular punched holes, while the movie mesh looks like tiny 'louvers', also punched into the metal.

Neither made by expanding, as you would for diamond shaped mesh.

Great photos guys!

The mesh of Shawcraft's SC1 is the circular punched type too as just identified on early TV props. Not sure if the holes are quite the same diameter / pitch, but it backs up John P Kelly's good observations.

While not movie, and not strictly in line with the thread title, it is interesting to note, as these images are clearer than any TV screen grabs, and also the mesh isn't gummed up with layers of paint.

Shawcraft3.jpgShawcraft_1.jpg

Source

Cheers, Scott

We're actually pretty sure that mesh on Evans Dalek is a replacement put on in the 70s. It's much coarser than the original. Nevertheless, if I can't find anything more suitable, it's the kind I may well be going for on my build.

This is off another Roberts radio. Is it the same mesh?

meshy.jpg

This is one example I've found. Is this the right structure? (I have no idea how big the pattern is)

meshy2.jpg 10-16GDM.jpg

The triangles look a little pointy to me, but as MovieDalek says, the shape changes considerably depending on the angle you're looking at it from.

Here's the kind of thing I'm thinking of, Dalek 1 from DMP... but, as I say, hardly definitive. But it certainly looks perforated, and the open area must be in the region of 20-40 percent.

You can also see the bolt through the lower neck ring.

DMP.jpg

Edited by John P Kelly

Also, need to consider the thickness of the sheet. It can't have been much over .5mm thick on the originals. Not thin enough to be considered a foil, but still thin enough that a sturdy upholstery stapler will happily get through it.

Well this was a topic I was going to raise about the circular mesh but everybody had decided that the shawcraft prop had had it's mesh replaced so I never 

brought it up.

But yes I do think that the circular mesh could be a possibility. An operator did also say that in the first Dalek story they had a black fabric covering the rest of the mesh to stop the light shining through.

When the original movie Dalek was put up for auction in Derby I took a bit with me to compare against the original. The rusty bit on the left is the steel sample I took - the original stuff was aluminium. 

I remember when this pic was taken and remember the slot being wider when laid flat against the mesh which is why I wondered if the 

smaller perforations might be right. I really should spray the sample I have but don't want to compromise it's raw state.

Yes RepeatedMeme that mesh is similar. Bion are actually still producing the same mesh just a little courser like the kitchen fan mesh. I'm just hoping they can go to a smaller gauge.

more pics:

20170107_171628.jpg.d7e8da6486f6f7b467e5b189a779bbd7.jpg20170107_171647.jpg.eea5a0d831d36fea04eed82fea61f05a.jpg20170107_171803.jpg.3b29dd3dad5f3cfeabc5f61c1ae61233.jpgmoviemesh.jpg.51c479465a991fa8c24a5c80006d3814.jpg

M

Edited by DalekSupreme4
More pics