Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

DalekSupreme4

Perforated Movie Neck Bin Mesh

42 posts in this topic

Without wishing to put a dampner on things... I did ask the Expanded Mesh company for a sample of 922A about a month ago. Unfortunately, it's not in general production, and the minimum order is about £500 worth. They didn't have any samples either.

I think MovieDalek had been in touch with them when he did his mix n match builds. The 801a is, IIRC, too coarse for our purposes...

Hmmm.

Thats silly really. To have a brosure with mesh they don't produce any more. I wonder what they're playing

at? 

What I can do is send the sample I have off to them and see if it was close to anything they had.

bearing in mind that J's sample has slightly wider holes in it and the radio grill is quite course

when holding it. do you mean course as in the holes were too large? In that case your probably right.

£500 doesn't seem as threatening as I thought it might be. If everyone chipped in a bit 

I dare say we could raise that amount. According to their website they can produce custom orders.

Hopefully they mean the metal gauge rather than just a powder coated finish.

I've just noticed they're in Hartlepool which isn't too far from me. I could have a talk with them in person. It always far more easy to just talk to someone face to face rather than vague

emails.

Edited by DalekSupreme4

They do make 922a, just not as regular production. Special order.

Anyway, go for it. They were nice when I spoke to them. And, of course, I'd be willing to chip in for the correct aluminium gauze!

I did get a sample of the 922a from them when I was originally trying to source something for my build. It is a very dense mesh, but the pattern itself is much smaller than on the speaker grill stuff. Here is a comparison between the two:

mesh922.thumb.jpg.084d172e6865db7686d91fceba8ea9ab.jpg

Plus a few others I looked at. From left to right we have the speaker grill mesh, then Wireform mesh, kitchen mesh and finally 922a on the right.

meshes.thumb.jpg.7b31a43da2beaf6909433dc847de560e.jpg

The pattern on Wireform is similar in size to the vintage stuff, but it's very thin and very transparent. It damages very easily and does need speaker cloth backing.

The kitchen mesh is cut from a frying pan splatter shield. I've never identified the grade, but it is much stronger than Wireform. It looks very good but is still too transparent to use without a cloth backing.

I also had a sample of mesh 901a from them, but that was just the car body repair type mesh IIRC.

I'll post a shot of the vintage speaker grill mesh with a scaling reference. For some reason the mesh looks very 'open' in these shots. In reality the holes appear very small from most angles. Maybe I should spray it silver as that would show the true structure of the mesh better.

mesh1.thumb.jpg.e53fbddfc0f4f7ed52c52bba122a12d1.jpg

Cheers J,

I should have remembered these on your build diary. Did you get a sample of the 801A. It looks courser than the 922A whilst the pattern seems

like that of the brass radio grill.I haven't contacted them yet but should ask again if they have any samples of the 801A.

I think it might be a better version of the 922A.

20170221_131832.thumb.jpg.397aaa04ab6705b7347964726e168c7e.jpg20170107_171628.jpg.d7e8da6486f6f7b467e5b189a779bbd7.thumb.jpg.82ff4fa0acb0ba2d4f57b6d076037ac5.jpg 

I have to say the 922A looks exact only a finer grade from your pics. do you have a shot of it with the mesh pointing

downards?

Edited by DalekSupreme4

I never had a sample of 801A. I probably didn't spot it at the time.

I'll try and get some shots of 922 from different angles though, as it probably is the closest in 'structure' to the original. A pity the minimum order is so high now. I probably should have bought some of this stuff when they had it in stock. From memory the minimum order was about £40 back then.

They provide mesh measurements in their brochure; isn't the 801A a bit too coarse? Or am I misremembering?

It could be. I don't have the mesh to hand but I'll measure it with the callipers tomorrow. It does show though that the same style of hole punch/perforation is still

used today though, and that what keeps me smiling lol.

Blimey! £40 to £500 minimum order! 

Edited by DalekSupreme4

Well, there is always the possibility that the persons Jon or I spoke to were misinformed.

For such an unusual mesh, it seems weird to make it prohibitively expensive. Give them a call, see if you can persuade them to run us off a few sheets of 922a!

This was about seven years ago when they presumably still held plenty of the stuff in stock. From memory, the £40-ish sheet was quite small, about enough to do one Dalek. I needed to do two, so with postage it was pushing towards £100 which is one of the reasons I didn't go for it at the time. I took the cheap option and used Wireform.

I've had a correspondence with Associated Perforators and Weavers, www.apw.co.uk . They sent me some samples of their round hole perforated mesh, including the finest pattern of 1.5mm hole with 2.5mm spacing. This was really good for low visibility, and I think would have worked well.

However, the thinnest aluminium sheet they can produce this on is 1mm, same as my sample, which is just too thick. As it's perforated rather than expanded, It's too stiff to be workable, and I think that all but industrial strength staple guns wouldn't get through (the originals appear to have been attached with an upholstery stapler). You could aim for the holes, I guess, but it's still going to be really difficult to work with and bend round the neck bin drum.

Really, you'd need no thicker than .5mm, ideally even less. Does anyone have an idea of how thick the aluminium mesh on the movie Daleks was? It looks only slightly thicker than a foil on the pictures I've got.

Definitely 0.5mm thick I'd say. 

I rang the expanded metal company last week and still haven't received any samples. They didn't ring back to say they didn't have the samples either, so I'll give them another ring Monday.

M