Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wes Taimuty

Life Size Dalek Needed

6 posts in this topic

Hello?

Sorry, but I am completely new to this, so forgive me if this is not the place I should ask this question.

Long story short, I have been a huge Doctor Who fan for many years.

Longer story short, I am trying to acquire a custom life-size Dalek.

Longest story short, I graduate from college in May of 2018. I wanted the Dalek so I could roll across the stage to accept my diploma (I am not joking. This has been a dream of mine for years).

I had a guy who could make exactly what I want. However, he has bailed on me for some unknown reason (he hasn’t responded in over two months).

I have money (I’ve been saving for this for nearly a decade), and I have friends who might want to invest in it depending on the price and functionality.

I guess I am looking for anyone who can build me a fully functional custom life-size Dalek. I can’t build it myself unfortunately. I just don’t have the time, skills, or resources to do so.

Sorry if this is not the place to ask. I am just trying to get this thing in motion as soon as possible.

Hate to say it, but I believe this kind of posting isnt actually allowed. My understanding is that the BBC is cool with us all making Daleks and such (even though they'd be within their rights to send cease and desist orders to every one of us because they own the copyrights to the Daleks) as long as we dont buy/sell Daleks or Dalek stuff.

Im not saying its impossible commission someone to build something for you, Im just saying I dont think youre allowed to post about *paying* for a Dalek on the forums.

Edited by omegagamer89

We can't, don't & won't build to order even on a not for profit basis.

We are strictly a hobby home workshop\forum for our own builds, stepping outside of that could most likely see us closed down (The BBC are not exactly cool with us, tolerated would be a better description).

Your options.

Use the forum to "borrow one" for a charitable donation.

Buy a licensed replica from This Planet Earth (see Becs comment above to how feasible that  is).

Edited by Ferrain

Thats basically what I thought. Thanks Ferrain.

Also worth noting, that if you live nearby to any other PDF members, you could always see if anyone is willing to meet up and help you do the build yourself. Building a Dalek is a long-term process, but most of the people on here are really cool, and I wouldnt be surprised if you could find someone (or multiple someones, depending on the area) willing to come and help you out a day or two each month in exchange for Pizza and drinks afterwards.

Ive seen plenty of build diaries by first timers mention about a PDF veteran coming over to help, or letting someone use a tool or mold or some such. Depending on where in the world you're at, you might have a veritable smorgasbord of other builders nearby.

So yeah, your best first step is gonna be to let people know where you're located.

Edited by omegagamer89

Or Iconic Studio Creations if in New Zealand or Australia, as they are also licensed to produce Daleks and other Doctor Who props.

As mentioned above, trading in daleks is strictly against Forum rules as it will most likely be in breach of copyright. Licensed full size dalek replicas are available from the companies mentioned above, who are legally allowed to sell them. They should be our first post-of-call.

Trading of this sort is something that we try to avoid in order to avoid the threat of being closed down. With that in mind, this topic will now be closed.