Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

cdngoose

3 Imperialistic Daleks

115 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

All the dome lights that will be painted gold are finished and the clear sections are in the printer now

image.thumb.jpg.b371048a669b6ac9b3ddf5809f823b7f.jpg

I have trimmed the excess fibreglass and removed the ring from the table. I have flipped it over and started waxing the bottom for the second section

IMG_0386.thumb.JPG.f3f1a7956a29b485feba43fbfcdea64f.JPG

while I am waxing the bottom I am also fibreglassing the middle ring top. I am hoping that this one turns out as well. I waxed it heavily and used two layers of PVA release. But I omitted the sanding sealer and I am wondering if it was not a major mistake. Oh well I will find out later and I am still learning this mould thing and what is possible

IMG_0387.thumb.JPG.8e0070b6aab2f43b35bc518b2154a646.JPG

cdngoose

Edited by cdngoose

Just a small update, just got home from a night shift and the first set of center discs are finished for my dome lights. I have just started the second set and as soon as I'm happy there will be no issues I am going to bed. 

IMG_0389.thumb.JPG.982d881d58244f79a8b18e5630501c3b.JPG

wit any luck I will paint these gold this weekend I am really excited to see them in final trim. 

Cdngoose

Love the dome lights!  They are going to look great once painted. 

Help for paint choices! Anyone please! Turning my attention to paint now, has anyone tried exterior house paint for a dalek. I have always used automotive or a custom made two part epoxy. But these daleks are only going to be imperials for a couple of years then two of them will be converted to shawcraft 1&2 versions. So the plan goes. 

So with that in mind I don't wat to spend $500 plus on paint and was considering house paint like I use on my Emperor 

i will be spraying it but need info on thinning and finish such as eggshell gloss or flat 

all advice and help appreciated on this also and colour codes would be greatly appreciated. 

Cdngoose

Hi there.

I had a similar problem in that all the metallic paints I wanted to use were just too expensive.

In the end I found in B&Q: Ronseal Diamond hard floor paint. I can't remember exactly how much it was but it was pretty cheap for a nice big pot.

It was acrylic so water based, but it brushed on really smooth & shiny, almost like gloss, so I reckon you won't have any trouble with exterior paint at all.

Hope that helps.

Good luck, I'll be watching with interest.

Russell

I have been occasionally hauling paint color cards to the EMP ((Experience Music Project) now called MoPop (Museum of Pop Culture)) to compare to their repainted Imperial Dalek for several years. Unfortunately, I am caring for my mom too far from my home to go get the current closest matches to give you any numbers, but I would still like to give you my opinion, if that is OK.

Since you are still reading -

When you look at the screen-used Imperial in Seattle, it is faded, poorly re-painted, under do-no-harm lights (not full spectrum), and under thick glass. Given that, both visible shades of white are near – not pure - white (close to what used to be called Eggshell when bright white, off white, and eggshell were your three main choices. (Yup, I am that old.)). Most of my color cards were not white enough. On the color wheel, pure white can go in every direction of the color wheel. My close comparisons go toward the yellows, not pure yellow but a bit orangish. Many of my white color samples clashed a bit with the antique, metalic gold of the hemis, causing the Dalek to look pinkish or pale blue, so don’t head that way on the color wheel. Maybe test both together before painting everything.

58f95c0dd5222_EMPImperial2039.thumb.jpg.beb4148965877e06c1962550fb1440cc.jpgwww.sessions_edu.thumb.JPG.be535d52398d0d5dbf2b7a0e949b2b83.JPG

The paint on the original looks to have been applied with a brush. If the missed spots are an indicator, it was in a hurry and with the shoulders on something that blocked the underside. The finish seems satin to me – not semi gloss, but also not flat. Whether that is time or original…. Photos add their own error coefficient to the formula.

If I were painting yours, I would use an indoor/outdoor, water clean-up, thinnable (to spray) cabinet (as opposed to wall) paint for the white. If I were going to distress the Daleks, I’d use satin. If I wanted them to look newly hatched, I’d make them gloss. (To many, if not most people, gloss equals metal.)

I’d pick a gold that complements whatever Mylar-ish product will be used as the solid and the sequin waste on the neck bins. You can tweak the paint to match them; the reverse is not as easy. If aiming for original, some of the gold samples I tried seemed very orange or red compared to the EMP’s gold hue. (Remember all of the caveats above.)

Stunned people are going to yell, “Look, up in the sky! Daleks!” No one is going to say, “I’m not afraid of them, the shade of gold is a bit off.”)

I am getting a lot of satisfaction out of knowing that not just one, but three more Imperials will be in the Western Hemisphere!  Mine may be on hold, but yours are really making me happy!

It has been awhile since I posted. Life has been busy and the Daleks suffer in the interm. However I did get back at it this weekend and during the last couple of weeks I decided on paint. Thanks for all the advice I have been pouring through online pictures and all the advice given, but it was when I went through the old pictures of the emperor I built that made the decision. Depending on the lighting the daleks change hue and tone on their colour and while looking at the Emperors pictures I noticed the exact same thing. In fact I was able to match up the Emperors colours with every hue on the Imperials I found online depending on the lighting. So with that I decided to paint the 3 Imperialistic daleks the same paint as my Emperor which is Cyberspace Grey. It is a bright white in clean light and a cream in yellowish light and since the daleks will only be on display with the Emperor a matching colour just seemed to make sense.

Today I spent some more time on the eyestalks and I now have 2 of them ready for paint I also trimmed the domes, shoulders and skit to remove the excess fibreglass strands. On top of this I have started making the slats for the shoulders.

in this I am doing new ways of accomplishing this, I thought I would 3d print them but I have a weight limit of 50lbs including lights and batteries so I have opted for styrofoam for the slats and belts to keep the weight down and once again these daleks have a limited life as a static display before being converted into trundling daleks. 

IMG_0431.thumb.JPG.22e924a385ac453e722a064b0d40dcaf.JPGIMG_0440.thumb.JPG.a8c3aee6030bce2cf692dc9ed00499e1.JPGIMG_0441.thumb.JPG.34a25949ad5359da560dfe2d46cd36ed.JPGIMG_0442.thumb.JPG.bef3b761c3d983500a353069a8f28042.JPG

i have also also been working on my Tardis and have printed off a new lamp for the top. Along with fantastic new electronics to improve its presence. 

IMG_0439.thumb.JPG.84333b0fd2ea816d2c628dc110550a83.JPG

i must admit i  it I am starting to get worried about timelines. I have to finish these daleks shortly so I have time to get the Tardis presentable with new paint, lights and backdrop. 

I also have a major re-build to do on the Emperor to have it ready for a new season 

Cdngoose 

Eyestalks are finished and ready for install,

IMG_0447.thumb.JPG.b54040c3b1746c655a754f4bea688188.JPG

now I must turn my attention to the shoulder and slats. 

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.4f0554841c0bb47bb296efe965b94360.JPG

i am doing a styrofoam install. I would never do this for a functioning dalek that had to trundle. But seeing how these daleks will never be available for touching or even close up investigations I have a bit of liberty  

I am quickly running out of time and must increase my progress 

Cdngoose 

Well I am ready to hang head in shame, I have made more than enough eyestalks over the years and I have made mistakes in the past but this time I really messed up the ones in the picture above. When I referred to the plans I looked solely at the top diagram of the plans and mistook the pivot as a sleeve and added a 100mm sleeve to the base of my eyestalk, then added the pivot  ( SLAPS forehead) so I was hoping to just disassemble the eyestalk and remove the sleeve, cut the threaded rod to size and re-assemble. Not going to happen before my show in June, it seems that during assembly I used gorilla glue on everything and it is truly holding up to its name and I cannot diss-assemble the eyestalks for the adjustment. Since I am running out of time in building these daleks I will have to live with these extended versions of eyestalks till after the show and then make complete new ones , One step forward and two back, but I doubt few will notice at the show and hopefully I will get them setup at the show prior to the other Daleks arriving!

cdngoose

If you don't tell anyone, they will never know.

Building three Daleks at once is a bugger of a job.