Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

jbourd

Jeff's 2005 Dalek

30 posts in this topic

So after months of waiting and a little planning I finally started on my Dalek! I do not know how many do this but I decided to start with some "mini" projects, like the voice mod and such, first to get me going.

I have almost finished my voice mod and once it is complete will begin on the eye and eye stalk with closing and opening iris! Very new to this so any tips, advice, and help are extremely welcomed! Especially with the dome, right now it is the most intimidating part of this build since it is so far out of my wheelhouse. Anyone who really has this down could definitely use pointers video heck anything!

Cheers!

IMG_7948.thumb.JPG.a5dadf56be83926f33f830976cd7b9f6.JPG

Are you planning to make the dome from fibreglass? If so, process of making the plug/pattern from plaster and then creating a mould from it is reasonably straight forward. It just takes time, planning and quite a bit of patience.

Hey jbourd,

Always encouraging to see another build start stateside.  If you're short red LEDs, you can use any color.  I just suggested red to remind people red is bad.  Tune the pot so the red isn't bright.  On the other hand green is good.  The green LEDs add good distortion to the voice, which is present for the Daleks in the show, though might be gotten for them a different way.  That one you can adjust as needed to overcome your Texas accent.  We'll, they may not provide that much magic, but they do help...

Thanks John I will probably be going through a lot of diaries when that part comes; and Elem yes I found some red ones. However, last night as i tuned it on for the first time and started attempting to tune it following the manual the red light will not turn off no matter how many counter clockwise turns I do...

Thoughts? Also here is an updated picture of it in its new case!

IMG_7953.thumb.JPG.dcdea9b0a428d9036ea642abb1c84d9f.JPG

Is it one red light or both?  If only one, which one?

Only one the top one in the picture above it is steady and fairly bright.

I'll stare at the schematic for a few minutes when I get home and try to identify what might cause that.  Do you have a multimeter.  I'll probably suggest you make some voltage measurements.

I do have one not uber versed in it... But I can follow if you're willing to explain

thanks

Hi Jbourd

I completed my board yesterday and I had the exact same problem with the red LED (the top one stayed on all the time).  I'll defer to elembivos' expertise on what might cause it, but in my case I seem to have fixed it by removing the board from the case, flipping it over and checking the leads on the R14 pot (keeping in mind it is soldered into the board) with a multimeter. It read 10k as I turned the screw, and I swear it felt like I had to turn it back 100 times till I saw an adjustment happening on my multimeter. Then I dialed it back further, popped it into the case, and the light was off, and I was able to follow the instructions about turning it up until the lights just start to come on and flicker. 

Hi there,

I can't see a capacitor in C12. Maybe its an old pic or I am seeing it wrong, but C11 and C12, and R11 and R12 need components if I remember the circuit correctly.

Yes I somehow missed those I will correct that tonight and see, also I will take vic's advice as well see if I cannot get it up and running this evening.

Here is a random slightly off topic question for anyone who can answer.

If I want to get a 3d printer to print components for my build what size should I go with?

I ask because it seems like the 8" x 8" would be big enough for most of the parts on this site and was wondering what the recommended size would be.

Jeff, it looks like you and I are (so far) doing the exact same things at the exact same time, and are seemingly at the same place in our projects. I look forward to following your progress!

If it helps, I was advised by a senior member on this board to consider the Wanhao 3 v2 printer.  I'll likely be putting an order for one sometime next week (after I've had a chance to mull it over some more and look into details).  Also, apparently Simplify 3D software is required for it, but I don't know anything about that (yet). 

Me either, I work with 3d software all day but they are for architecture and not printing sadly. 

I wouldn't think it would be too bad especially with all the great files on here!

It is finished! The voice mod works like a champion, tuned in the mod and the amp and sound pretty close, (fooled my wife, she thought I was watching it on TV) will post a short video or sound clip this weekend when I have a little time.

Next task shall be the eye stalk, I like the electronic components side since they are less intimidating than the dome, however after the eye stalk the dome is next...

Here is a sample of my voice mod

Dalek.m4a

Sounds fine. Like a Texan Dalek. But fine. :)