Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
martyn.miller

Bluetooth Receiver Into The Mk5 Voice Mod?

7 posts in this topic

I’ve built my voice modulator, based on the MK5, plans and using the circuit board obtained from this site.    I’ve gone with the configuration for the classic sixties sound and filament lights.  I have to say the results are very impressive.   I’m very pleased with it.

What I’d like to do is plug in a blue tooth receiver so that I can play pre-recorded phrases from my iPhone.  I thought the aux socket might be for this purpose but when testing - I found that the sounds go straight to the speaker unmodulated and the lights don’t flash.    Also, not surprisingly, it looks like the blue tooth receiver output is not compatible with the mic input.

Is there a relatively un-complicated change I can make in order to use the blue tooth receiver to play phrases from my phone?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Martyn

Tackling your wish list from the top:

The Aux on the Martmod's III\V & the PDF Mk5 aux input is designed to allow music & sound effects to be played back without modulation, as such the Dome Lights would not normally be flashing so only the real time treated voice operates the dome light (It's a Dalek not a mobile disco) - What you need to do is mod the Mic input (or make it switchable) so it doesn't provide DC biasing for the Mic input & provides a normal sound input like the Aux input instead. 

I have had a similar experience, where I wanted a standalone Bluetooth transceiver to sync to a pair of Bluetooth Headphones into Genes Martmod for speech & listening back - The difficulty I had was that normally you have some form of display\authentication with one device registering the presence of the other & needing a "Confirmation" to continue\pair, something both the module & headphones lacked, but I was able to stream music to the Aux input from my phone via the Bluetooth transceiver. 

There are some Bluetooth apps out there that claim to be a Bluetooth PA system, for that to work in my case I would need to use a phone or tablet (or IPad\IPhone if you must :P ) with a wired headphone\mic connected (not quite the wireless solution I wanted).  Then paired with the Bluetooth transceiver connected to the Headphone & suitably modified Mic input any speech in real time & for you at least playback of spoken dialogue would be transmitted, treated & output (flashing lights & all).

Just had a quick look at the Mk5 circuit, removing R21 should do it or adding a SPST switch to switch it in or out, but you may have to play around with the values of R22 & R23.

Fantastic - thanks for your help - I'll have a play around and see if I can get it to work.

Like Ferrain said, you should remove R21 to prevent damage to the receiver.  R22, R23, and the potentiometer R24 set the microphone gain.  If you roll R24 all the way back the gain will go down to 1x which should be ok to pass the Bluetooth signal into the modulator.  Only one channel will make it in though, I don't remember if it's left or right.  If you post a link to your Bluetooth system we might be able to give better advice.

Mike

Little filament bulbs?  Or big filament bulbs?

Hi Mike

Small bulbs, 12V 6W 0.5 Amps.   Incidentally, I'm currently using three 12V batteries (I think they're motorcycle batteries).   One for the lights, one for the voice mod and one for the audio amp.   Probably over-kill.   I think one battery may be enough though and I'm going to test that theory.  

I shall temporarily remove R21 and if that works I'll add a switch so that I can use either mic or Bluetooth.   

I've got 2 Bluetooth devices -

Yoyamo Portable 3.5mm Streaming Car A2DP Wireless Bluetooth BT211

and

P 6697  EasyAcc Mini Portable Rechargeable Bluetooth Speaker - this one's a BT speaker but with headphone output.

Again, thanks for your help

Martyn

Just a quick follow up to this, sorry - it's taken me a while - removing the R21 resistor works brilliantly.  I was going to make it switchable but messed up by melting one of the tracks on the PCB.  I don't think that maters though as I can simply use a battery powered mic instead of the original electret mic.     Anyway, I can now pre-record phrases into my smart phone using any voice memo app and then play back through the voice mod using the Bluetooth receiver.  Hours of fun?

Thanks for the advice and guidance.   Much appreciated!