Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Budgebrewer

.pdf Files Corrupted?

6 posts in this topic

I always thought .pdf files were pretty safe and secure but suddenly ALL of my .pdfs appear to have been corrupted!

I did a Reader upgrade at the same time as a couple of other things so I can't quite put my finger on what caused the change - ?even viral!?

This includes all of my PDF .pdfs as well as numerous electronic component datasheets I'd acquired over the years, even my telstra bills!

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem, and if so has anyone tried the registry hack that involves telling Acrobat Reader to ignore certain parts of the header of .pdfs?

A right pain in the proverbial as I begin to re-download all of these files. This time I'll print them out and keep the information on a piece of paper in a file ... just like the "old days"!

And THEN I might finally get to start my own Dalek build!

Have you tried opening them with an alternative PDF program, such as Foxit Reader? 

Windows 10 trying to open it with Edge & royally making a right mess of things?

Perhaps instead of printing them out for the future and wasting a ton of paper and ink, you could simply make a backup of all the files onto a flash drive or external Hard drive? Or use a cloud storage system. Heck, Google gives you 15GB of storage for free with google drive, and you'd have to have literally hundreds of thousands of pages worth of pdf files to fill up 15GB.

EDIT: Also, in addition to what John suggested, have you tried opening the files using the same program, but on another computer? Perhaps its not the files themselves that are corrupted, but your pdf reader installation.

Edited by omegagamer89

22 hours ago, John said:

21 hours ago, omegagamer89 said:

... using the same program, but on another computer? Perhaps its not the files themselves that are corrupted, but your pdf reader installation.

Yes indeed, I quite like Foxit and am now going to make it my default. Tried a restore, tried re-installing and reverting to an older version of AR. Tried same files on three machines using AR.

They all misread and report as faulty.

21 hours ago, omegagamer89 said:

... wasting a ton of paper and ink, you could simply make a backup of all the files onto a flash drive or external Hard drive? Or use a cloud storage system. Heck, Google gives you 15GB of storage for free with google drive, and you'd have to have literally hundreds of thousands of pages worth of pdf files to fill up 15GB.

and then 15GB of corrupt .pdfs would really make me upset. I guess I was kind-of being facetious, but then a piece of paper with heat-fixed ink, laminated, locked in a file drawer with naphthalane balls is not likely to ever become corrupted - even if silverfish did get in they wouldn't eat through a whole ton !

But thanks for sharing my angst. :)

3 hours ago, Budgebrewer said:

and then 15GB of corrupt .pdfs would really make me upset. I guess I was kind-of being facetious, but then a piece of paper with heat-fixed ink, laminated, locked in a file drawer with naphthalane balls is not likely to ever become corrupted - even if silverfish did get in they wouldn't eat through a whole ton !

I think you may have missed my point a bit. If you have copies of all the files in the cloud or on a flash drive, then you dont need to worry about the files getting corrupted again. Even if the local files on your own computer did become corrupted again, that would have no effect on the copies stored elsewhere. Even if you have the same problem with your computer and those copies get corrupted, it is physically impossible for it to corrupt files on a flash drive it has no access to.

So even if the local files get corrupted again, you just delete them and download a working copy from the cloud, or from your flash drive.