Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Simon James

Painting Parts That Have Body Filler On?

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys I need to paint my neck bin black. I was wondering what the best method is to paint it. The bin is constructed of MDF, plywood, pine dowel and will have some car body filler on it in places. Obviously I'm going to sand everthing first, but then what? Sanding sealer, primer then top coat flat black? Any advice would be great as I'm rubbish at painting. I don't want the car body filler to affect the finish by patches showing through. I also don't know if water based wood paint or auto paint (spray cans) will be best for the top coat. Thanks 

image.thumb.jpeg.0a9aa20727c3a0ecb490c63163ada0cb.jpeg

It's the neck bin.

No one will really see it, except for the operator. I'd spray paint it with the cheapest can of black paint, cover it with the tulle/fabric so no one can see in and move onto the next part.

Edited by bec weir

Cheers Bec. I think why I'm asking is because I plan to paint the base the same way when it's done so it's a two part sort of general question really. Maybe I should have mentioned it. 

The base might be better covered with some sort of rubber or rubberised material, rather than just painted black. I used offcuts of black, flat-roof waterproofing membrane on mine, glued in place with contact adhesive (Evo-Stik). The major advantage is that you don't have to constantly re-paint the inevitable scratches.

Ah ha yes this would be much better. I've seen some people on here use pond liner as well. This would look much better than paint thanks