Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
donthedec

Powered Wheelchair Options And Choices

12 posts in this topic

Hi all

has anyone got a picture of there dalek with a wheelchair fitted I can't find any on the forum..

Regards

Don

Most builders don't try and shoehorn the entire chair into the dalek. There is rarely enough room for this, unless it is a small chair or a New Dalek Paradigm being built. The usual approach is to make a frame/chassis attached to the base and then mount the motors/wheels/electronics and batteries from the chair on it.

Though John is right and most builders do in fact make a frame for attaching the wheelchair bits. I personally dislike this approach and prefer to keep the simplicity of keeping a chair as fully intact as possible. Though this is not always the case in dealing with the larger chairs typically using a Jazzy 1103 and almost nothing of the main chair has to be removed just trim down the backrest and remove the arm rests. I have a Jazzy 1103 in Dreadnaught And in Drax which is a Shawcraft 3. In Nyder I have a large wheel Jazzy 1120 and I will try to posts pictures of that after next weekend when he comes out of storage and goes to the first show. My Davros also has the full chair installed

image.thumb.jpg.f3dbb150f8dbedd9e51a9b78e7f9623a.jpg

i just took this picture straight down and the Davros is a NSD skirt so with a full chair I still have ample foot space. Though in my Davros installation I did install the chair backward as I had little time to install it properly. When I get some free time I will add a caster wheel to the fender, remove the front two wheels on the chair and turn it around to the proper installation. Have a peek at the Drax build diary and Nyders and you should see some installations. Next weekend I will take close up pictures of Nyders and Clanns chair installations for you. 

Posted (edited)

Many thanks 

Just got to look for a small chair then .

Anyone recommend one other than the jazzy ..I was looking at a rascal p320 compact ..it looks small by the pictures.

Edited by donthedec
Wanted to add more

Take a look at my build diary. Theres a couple posts showing how I rigged up a frame to attach the wheelchair motors to, and in my first couple of posts I also show how the wheelchair looked before being stripped down to just the motor, batteries, and controller.

The size and weight of a Dalek when manned is quite substantial and stability should be a priority.  The centre of gravity of a dalek is quite high and lends itself to tipping when turning.

I'm not saying it's going to come toppling over, but that sensation of tipping can be quite disconcerting.

I'm not sure how the dimensions of a P320 compares to other chairs, but I would recommend going with a powerchair that is a just fit under the fender and skirt.  Wheel base should be as wide and long as possible.  Personally, I like the units with 6 wheels, because the drive wheels are directly below that centre of gravity and the other 4 wheels are just for stability like outriggers on canoes.  Having the drive wheels in the centre also gives the Dalek a zero turning circle.  All the other accessories (like the actual seat) will mostly likely need to be stripped off saving weight.  Just note that smaller units are generally for children which are not necessarily rated for heavier weights nor have the required power like adult sized chairs.

Hope this helps and happy hunting.

Cheers,

Mark.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, omegagamer89 said:

Take a look at my build diary. Theres a couple posts showing how I rigged up a frame to attach the wheelchair motors to, and in my first couple of posts I also show how the wheelchair looked before being stripped down to just the motor, batteries, and controller.

Great thanks 

Thanks Mark

But the rascal p320 is for a adult and can take a up to 21 stone.

Also it's 33" in length and 23"wide so will just fit ..

Question are you saying with the rear wheeled powered chair my dalek won't be able to turn in a circle and would be best with a mid wheeled drive ?

Regards

Don

Edited by donthedec
Wanted to add more

A rear-wheelchair will just have a bigger turning circle than a mid wheeled one.

Posted (edited)

Ah, I see Bec has answered while I was drawing my pictures.

Bec is right Don about the turning cirlce.

Most (probably all) modern wheel chairs turn by moving one wheel clockwise and the other wheel anti-clockwise.

Moving the joystick hard left will cause the left wheel to rotate backwards and the right wheel forwards and vice versa when turning hard right.  So all wheel chairs effectively have zero turn. It's the position of the pivot point which effects it's turning circle.  See the diagrams below.

58c8fd1977e17_RearMount.thumb.jpg.58f280470f0aa761102022794dcb22fd.jpg     58c8fd1e5c308_MidMount.thumb.JPG.93d49c72c779c42608231890fd76ac28.JPG

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not trying to persuade or dissuade you in any way, but you can see from the diagrams that a mid mount has a tighter circle than a rear (or even a front) mount.

The simplest answer is to use whatever you can get your hands on and make the best of it.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by markhammer
Gesumped by Bec

Many thanks 

Everyone 

Will keep you posted

Don

Another factor that you'll need to consider is whether you can access the mechanism that dis-engages the drive to the wheels.

Many chairs have free-wheeling-hubs on the main motorised wheel hubs. These can be pulled and twisted or pressed or whatever (depending on make) in order to dis-engage them from the motors. Doing this allows you to push the chair/dalek along manually, without using motors. Pushing the dalek is impossible while the motors are engaged, because they lock the wheels solid for safety reasons.

At some point you will inevitably need to move the dalek without power. When this is required, you'll need to be able to fit your hand into the space between the hub and the inside of the skirt. If that space is too narrow, then you won't be able to disengage/engage the hubs.