Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

brian hamilton

Radio Mic With PDF Mod Mk5e?

11 posts in this topic

Hi folks as usual I am looking for help/advice .My problem is I made my Dalek R/C by using a sabertooth controller ,the thing is although it works fine after a few teething problems I can,t use the voice mod to control the speech and work the flashing/Sync dome lights as i am obviously outside the Dalek controling it .So i decided to make another base with is motorised using another wheelchair the trouble here lies when i get inside the thing to opperate i find it more than ni on impossible to move myself inside thats once i have chewed my wick out trying to get inside the thing .I guess the main problem is im well passed my youth at 62yrs old plus i,m now on the wrong side of 15 stones.So the question is can i use a radio mic setup to make the voice & domelights work when in the R/C base,if anyone knows if its possible and what setup would i use and will i need any mod doing to the Mk5 voice modulator thanks for reading cheers Brian

Posted (edited)

For the PDF MOD Mk5e you can use this (or similar) wireless microphone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0016WXBYI/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489808749&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

*IF* you remove R21 from the Mk5e circuit board.  Of course if you do that you can no longer use it with an electret mic directly, but can with a dynamic mic.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Edited by RepeatedMeme

Hey  Mike that helps a lot thanks for your help ...Brian

Posted (edited)

I would check these out as well :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Headset-and-Handheld-2-4GHz-Wireless-Microphone-MIC-Range-FM-Plug-Receiver-/131753867538?hash=item1ead247912:g:Al4AAOSwAuNW58dr

The main reason is they are 2.4Ghz digital and likely less prone to instability than the FM band ones.

Edited by RepeatedMeme

Hi folks i am hoping to use a radio mic in my remote dalek ,it is remote for the simple reason because of my years and my size i find it more than a tight squeeze .I understand i need a mod for my PDF mk5e modulator to use a different mic .So can anyone tell me if this mic will work ok and what is the mod and where if it,s a capacitor do i fit it Thanks ...Brian

radio mic.jpg

As specified above, with R21 out it should just work I suspect.

Thanks Glen but on the comment earlier it stated remove R21  & now  you say R24 so which one is it thanks ...Brian

Oops, sorry that was a typo. R21. It feeds DC to the microphone. The radio mic won't be expecting DC on its output.

well i managed to get the radio mike working but not too happy with the output ,i,m just using some 1 watt pc speakers so gonna umph it up a bit i did get one of those 30 watt audio amp but through the speaker i had it didn,t sound too clever so gonna have to play around a bit ,anyway the thing is i,m getting there i just have the dome to turn and the eyestalk to move via r/c then i can have a bash at another one thanks for everyones help with my build it means a lot cheers ...Brian

Edited by brian hamilton

That really is a lovely toy you have there. :) 

I am using these inside Martmods and with PDFMod's with complete success. You need to put them in a box and add a pot for volume though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281820580304?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Otherwise, something like these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331996675223?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=541039096284&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Decent speaker makes a BIG difference though.