Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

JonnyAlpha

Base Material Options

5 posts in this topic

Hi;

I am looking for some help in sourcing some appropriate board for a motorised and sit in DALEK base.

18mm Hardwood Ply is about £32 per 2440 x 1200 sheet from Home Base (probably wont fit in my car!!

Any other choices / places I should be looking to bring the cost down?

You should compare the prices at Wickes, they might be a bit better than Homebase.  If you can't get a full sized sheet in your car, you have the wrong car ;-)  I swapped to a Chrysler Grand Voyager to get my dalek, wife and dog in the car.  It also copes with a caravan on the rear at the same time.  I recently went to Wickes with a friend and we bought about 11 full sheets of ply and put them in the car.  Now they have stopped selling the Voyager I am stuck for what to get new time.

Vince.

Plywood or MDF are pretty much the standard choices. Thats not to say that no other material can be used, but these two offer the best combination of weight, strength, availability, affordability, and how easy they are to work with.

Also, as for fitting a sheet of plywood in your car, I had the same issue. I have a prius, so theres no way in hell Im fitting a 4' x 8' sheet of MDF back there. What I always do is figure out what the largest single piece will be, and cut it to that size before I leave the store. For example, for the fender, the single largest piece of wood would be the 'top' of the fender, which all the angled side pieces then attach to. This piece needs to be 88CM by 119.6CM. Since your local store has plywood sheets in 120cm by 244 cm, I would just have them cut the board at around 90cm down the legnth of it, so you end up with a piece that is 120cm by 90cm.
This would be large enough to cut the top piece of the fender from, and also small enough to fit in a lot of cars. Then, just cut the rest of the board into a few smaller pieces, and it should all fit.

Posted (edited)

I am a little lost sorry, by base do we mean the fender as well?

I am having a little difficulty working out how it is constructed? According to the plans I have (TWD_BASE), in the pic TWD BASE00, it shows a view of the base from underneath and the profile pic attached 

On the second page TWD BASE01 it gives a plan of what I think is the top of the fender that you 'omegagamer89' are referring to which is where you get the 88cm wide x 119.6cm long. But what I cannot figure is whether the fender is built up from the base (the base layer of material) or hangs down from the base, because it does not show an image of it completed?

On the second page it doesn't show any internal cut outs - but I guess that is down to personal preference and use - a static model would not need a cut out?

Also the skirt seems to sit onto the top section, I thought it would sit on the bottom with the fender butted up against it?

I am doing what I hate burying technical info under the wrong heading :-(

Found some pics on this page. This guy seems to have made a base (the bit that his motorised frame is bolted onto) around the same dimensions as the top layer of the fender. He appears to have the bolted a fender onto the base? His top fender layer seems to be made out of two halves but thinner material? Whereas his base is one piece?

So if I get 2440 x 120 and cut it 90 x 120 (as you suggest) I'll have 1540 x 120 left over to make up some fender pieces which can all be made out of 18mm ply?

Edited by JonnyAlpha

The 'base' is generally the top of the fender, the fender sides hang down from the base sheet and the skirt sits on top of it. There is no need for the fender to have a bottom as it is not seen unless your Dalek falls over. Have a read through a few build diaries, I'm sure there are some pictures that will show it somewhere.

Or take a look at this scale build - http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?/topic/12980-chiaras-13-2005-dalek/&do=findComment&comment=165770 - which shows it very nicely, full sized fenders are made the same way.