Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
domvar

Eyeball Ashtray

6 posts in this topic

This type of ashtray has been around since the 50's looks to me like a good fit for the type of Eye seen in some 60's stories.

Available for under £10 on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Ashtray-Spinning-Black-8-Push-Down-Cigarette-Ash-Tray-Home-Office-/152427713456?hash=item237d6653b0:g:0BwAAOSwjDZYmZAV

I have one on order will report back when it arrives.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Really nice spot for a cheap, quick & simple part.

Though your average Joe Public won't notice - I used & still have a soccer ball "clock" sphere., the front half has been sanded & filled to a different profile as the classic Dalek eye is not a perfect sphere, the best way to describe it as is two hemisphere's, with one slightly larger hemisphere, that's trimmed back to the same diameter of the smaller one (4").

Not that I can really claim to understand the specs, but it looks at though there are two different sizes? One is too small.

Specification:

10.5*15cm/ 4.1*5.9inch (D*H)

9*16cm/ 3.5*6.3inch (D*H)

but the 4.1" inch width is very close and I think it means 5.9"inch height for the stem and sphere. 

When it arrives I'll do some exact measurements and report back :D  

Ok it just arrived the Radius is 1.94 inch at the widest point looking at the measurements on the classic plans it's a touch small 0.06 of an inch it seems to be in proportion in all other respects and the base unscrews with a cross head screwdriver so size and shape wise it's very close. I have a friend with a powder coating machine so a couple of coats of that will build it out a touch so all in all quite happy. 

The other good news is that the 8 scrapes off with a fingernail so no need to repaint it :D