Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kinga

Microphone Sensitivity

3 posts in this topic

I bought a cheapy electret microphone headset on eBay and it's VERY sensitive compared to a small mike on a stand that I already had and yet it seems to lack the volume and punch that the mic on a stand had.  Is that possible that a mic could be more sensitive but deliver a quieter sound?  The sound is less bassy too if that is any relevance.

Sensitivity is such that even light breathing is picked up enough to trigger the dome lights.  I have to move the mic away from my mouth so far that I have to noticeably raise my voice to get the same volume out of the speaker that the other mic gives when pressed against my lips with no breath activated lights. 

Its ts a bit weird.  I would have thought more sensitive equals louder output.

Bit of a black art finding one that's just right for you - I burned the foam mic cover away on a clearance one with a soldering iron by accident, that had given very good service with the Martmod MK 5 & its not the same & not really looked for a new foam mic cover as yet.

I picked up a couple of Sennheiser headsets recently, but not had chance to try them out.

I quite like the sound of the one I liberated from the stand mic.  I might try and use it to replace the one in the headset.  It was only a few dollars and it's really unusable the way it is now.