Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

horse62

Horse62's NSD - Dennis

176 posts in this topic

Hi I have been quietly lurking in the background watching all your fantastic builds for the last couple of months, gathering ideas as well as hints and tips.

Well I have decided to join you all and have started to build my NSD I am going to call him `Dennis`.

I have been collecting a few bits in preparation over the last few weeks, so far I have acquired 2 Moflash lenses, 10 cold cathode 12v blue lights for my elevation effect, 2 stainless steel 100mm gaze balls, and 56 hemis that require a small dimple filling before painting.

The hemis are well under way at the moment and I am very pleased with the finish I have achieved so far on the couple that I have painted (hopefully there is a picture attached) Today I filled all the dimples in the hemis and prepared them for paint, then I cut the 56 plywood discs to glue into the back of the hemis to strengthen them and enable them to be bolted on. I am sure glad that part of the job is over and done with.

I am aiming to get the skirt constructed over next week. So watch this space.

My wife seems to think I have gone totally mad, but reading through the other posts I am not alone there.

Andy.

post-849-1157051894_thumb.jpg

That's a lovely looking hemi there Andy.

You've made a wise choice to begin by making these. I wish I'd made mine while I was still fresh so to speak. Making them at the end of the project is mind-numbingly frustrating.

Keep at it and get them all done. Stick them on top of the wardrobe, forget about them and move onto the much more satisfying skirt section. You'll really see your Dalek start to develop at this point.

Best of luck with your build,

Grant

Well done on making the transition from Lurker to Builder Andy.

Its not a huge leap of faith and it would be cool if more people bit the bullet and started constructing! Its a fantastic thing to watch a pile of components grow, and when you get onto the sections themselves, as Grant says, the Dalek will start to come together really quickly.

Another NSD... I wonder how many NSD's, or indeed, Active Dalek Builds we've got going on here on the PDF at the moment? I've lost count!

Andy, keep us posted!

MarkyD

Hi Guys

thanks for the warm welcome, I have had a busy few days, the last of my hemis are now in primer. I am going to leave them in primer for a few weeks to let the paint fully harden, as I bet there will be some sinkage in the finish if I top coat them now. As I have had this problem when using aerosol paints before. I have the couple of finished hemis to keep my eye on to see if it occurs. One tip that I can pass on is to put a guide coat on top of your primer before wet flatting (or sanding)

This simply means putting a very light coat of a contrasting colour over your primer coat. I used a can of black paint from my local pound shop. Then when you flat the primer coat the contrasting coat is removed first and when you have finished flatting your primer, any low spots or pinholes etc are highlighted in black (or what ever colour you have used) and you know these areas need attention with more primer or filler etc and you just repeat the process until you are happy with the finish and there are no black marks.

This method is widely used in the vehicle body repair industry. Try it and see, it is a simple way to get a perfect finish, unless you want the battle scarred brush painted finish of course. This method can be applied to any part that requires painting.

post-849-1157290759_thumb.jpg post-849-1157290784_thumb.jpg

I have put the skirt section off for now and jumped ahead and have made my neck rings while I wait for my plywood to become available for the skirt. This made me unpopular due to the vast amount of mess it made, dust got everywhere. You defiantly need a half inch router for this job with brand new sharp bits, mine set me back about £95 (just don’t let the wife find out!!!) and was well worth the money, but I will probably never use it again.

post-849-1157290874_thumb.jpg

Andy

Welldone taking the Plunge Andy.

Another anti shrinkage /bloom tip when painting plastic hemis is to use "primer for plastic" as a first primer coat. As most bumpers on modern cars are plastic, special primer is required...its also available in aerosol these days.

MDF Dust...welcome to the club!!! Buying a half inch router and large professional 45 tip IS a big investment, but most serious builders have to take that step, I look upon it as a financial rite of passage into Dalek building. ;)

The second rite of passage is building the NSD shoulders... good luck !!!!!!!!

p.s. the skirts easy.... just remember this mantra...no nails is a pain to sand down and doesnt like paint..so try to keep it away from the visible surfaces.

Hi Rob

thanks for the tips, I shall be giving the No-nails a miss I hate that stuff. I will be using a polyurethane adhesive sealer that is used in the commercial vehicle repair trade. It costs more at about a fiver a cartridge and needs clamping or screwing while it cures. It remains flexible, is sandable when fully cured and takes paint well. They also use it to bond car body kits and panels in place. The shoulders should be ok we will have to see? I used to be an expert with `a tin of pug` (body filler) so if I slap a good coating of that on I will probably be ok The dome will be my main problem as I just don’t fancy making that. I have over 25 years in the commercial vehicle body trade as a coachbuilder / refrigerated vehicle body repairer. I now unfortunately have cervical spondylosis in my spine and that has left me with problems including nerve damage and muscle wastage to my hands among other things.

So I have to take things very slowly now and have been doing a little each day. Sanding down those hemis over a few days left me in a great deal of discomfort, the neck rings half killed me and one still needs finishing, that will get done tomorrow. But when it starts to look like part of a Dalek there’s a grin on my face and its all worth it. I still have lots of contacts for materials like sheet metals, tubing etc in fact anything that is used in commercial vehicle construction. There certainly seems to be a lot of friendly people here with advice and help. It has given me a new interest with lots of new friends. Hopefully I can start to help others soon as well.

Regards Andy

Hi Red Leader,

they actually came off Ebay, I got 57 balls for £17 inc P&P one half was a green plastic, the other half is a clear acrylic much thicker plastic but it has like a money box slot in that half and needed the lip removing, so I used the green half as that only had a dimple to fill.

Regards Andy

post-849-1157316909_thumb.jpg

Well I have started the skirt today, I made a visit to a pals workshop and scrounged a ½” ply off cut (an 8`x 4` sheet!!!) And the use of his workshop to do the cutting as his jigsaw actually cuts straight lines, mine wanders a bit. That’s the difference between a professional tool and a DIY one I suppose. I know I could clamp straight edges etc down to cut against but the job was done in half an hour doing it freehand.

post-849-1157389268_thumb.jpg post-849-1157389353_thumb.jpg post-849-1157389396_thumb.jpg

Free Plywood?

Well done that man/person/non gender specific Dalek builder !

Whats next?

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew

Hi Andrew

free plywood to a degree!! I have produced a website for my friend who I have worked with on and off over the last 23 years. www.plylines.com is my first go at web designing and he is over the moon. Several of the vehicles shown on the website were down to me about four years ago when we last worked together, the fish van and the mobile tool shop were my handiwork. So I have earnt my plywood really by doing his website (with help from my son) an 8`x 4` sheet of 5mm is the next offcut he will have to find for me. By the way your NSD is looking fantastic and I will probably follow a few of your ideas if you don’t mind.

Best regards Andy

Ah well it sounds like you have earned your plywood after all ! (Cool looking website, nice job on the vans) Such is life. :D

Feel free to copy any of the things I have done, but be warned, I am making it up as I go along ! The main reason I post is so that I have the benefit of dozens of pairs of eyes and minds to spot cock ups before they get expensive. I hope to have the final belt on my shoulders this week and will be posting soon.

Then I guess it will be filler time ! :D

Regards Andrew

Hi lads and lasses, I managed to get five panels fixed in place on Dennis’s skirt today, including the dreaded X factor ones, luckily I had an extra pair of hands to hold the panels in place while I nailed them.

Unfortunately my camera batteries were flat so the pictures will not appear here until tomorrow.

I have another fibreglass supplier to recommend: http://www.polyfibre.co.uk their range is vast and they offer an excellent service. They also supply a range of modelling materials.

Andy

Hi can somebody please tell me if this is the correct floor matting used for the NSD neck mesh

post-849-1157491289_thumb.jpg

Vynagrip® matting Black 10mx91cm roll 16mm thick. Costs a whopping £395 for the roll from RS RS Stock no. 672-352 Andy Ouch!! thats plus VAT and delivery

It's similar. That's the one we found first, but it's a bit thick and heavy.

Please check out the NSD neck mesh threads for pics (dotted about) of the real stuff.

Hi,

here is todays update with photos as promised.

post-849-1157565835_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566484_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566494_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566505_thumb.jpg

My skirt is panelled with 5mm ply as this was available to me free of charge; I cut and fixed the rear panel first, using a 2"x1" batten to support the top of the skirt towards the front while this was fixed. Then the two X factor front panels were offered into place and fixed with the aid of a second pair of hands. The rest of the panels were then marked out cut and fixed into place one by one.

post-849-1157566520_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566532_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566545_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566554_thumb.jpg

All of the panels were cut freehand with a jigsaw and bonded into place with a PU adhesive and a few brads from a nail gun, this adhesive has also been applied to the inside of all the joints and provides a very strong joint. Body filler has been applied to some of the joins and the rest will be filled before applying primer. I may well fibreglass over the PU for a belt and braces approach to prevent any cracks appearing. Masking tape holds the panels in line with each other while the PU cures.

post-849-1157566570_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566581_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566598_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566613_thumb.jpg

Yes that's me sitting in the skirt, I just could not resist!!!!

post-849-1157566626_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566654_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566675_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566691_thumb.jpgpost-849-1157566702_thumb.jpg

That's all for this week, I have struggled to get the skirt done today and now need a few days rest to cure my aches and pains.

But its been worth it.

Andy

post-849-1157566715_thumb.jpg