Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

davidcreighton

Movie Dalek colours?

35 posts in this topic

Is there a post that lists the classic movie colours and what would be the modern spray paint equivalents ?

David

I've moved your post here. If you check through this section, you'll find that a lot of the colours aren't tied down.

There are suggestions for the classic 60s pale blue. But most colours that get suggested are based on what looks best. There's a 'favourite' for Genesis Daleks (a grey that changes a lot in different lighting conditions). The only suggestion for 60s silver is based on the idea of getting a slightly grey silver, rather than anything too brash and clean.

We know the colours of the Imperials, and (pretty sure) the Renegades.

All this info, the suggestions and preferred colours have yet to be pulled together.

I've been trawling around the forums trying to find the accurate colour for a DIOE 2150ad Red Dalak, but no one seems to have recorded it on the forum. The other tag on question I would like to know is that when I make the dome can I used a red colour gel coat and if so which one is closest to the origional. Any help will be as ever much appriciated.

Volkswagen India Red .

The flat colours are fairly straight forward. Most people pick one they like, or think is the nearest. Robs suggestion is as good as any I can think of. The metallics cause a bit more of a headache, especially where the movie props are concerned.

I remember a few years ago, Dave M (RedDalek) was trying to find a good match for the gold dalek from the DIOE movie. I spent months looking at gold cars every time I was out and about. I dont think I ever saw a single gold that I though was right. :(

In the end, Dave painted the dalek... black!

Thanks for the info, Volkswagen India Red it is, that is unless a major discussion starts on this! BTW I think I am going to call my Dalek 'Douglas'

If anyone's interested in the black Dalek from the first film, I recently completed a scale kit build (Photos in the scale daleks section), and the colours I used were available from Halfords; main body is Gloss Black, Skirt hemis and centre neck ring are Volkswagen Satin Silver; and collars, top and bottom neck ring, skirt bumper and hemis are Ford Solar Gold. If the photos look about right to you, those are the colours I used; I'm fairly sure the movie props all used the same shade of gold in the first film.

post-978-1210697540_thumb.jpg

here's a photo of the kit for reference.

Edited by Seeker

Hi,

For the red and black daleks in DIEO is the black dalek dome a satin black and the red daleks a satin red (if there is such a colour)? or have they just been sanded down lightly after they were sprayed? Also if any careful viewer spotted this, as the black dalek is about to start its decent down the mine shaft it, seems like they have changed the eye to a standard drone type style. The dome of the black dalek also changes to a nice gloss finish! however the red dalek remains the same. This could be just me (as a 14 yr old) :rolleyes:

Mark

DIOE is the abbreviation for the TV story from 1964.

What you're referring to is "Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150AD" and the shorthand for that is "The second movie"

And the paints for the Hero Props was gloss. The stunt props as not as well finished as the hero props as they were put together for specific sequences and would have been planned to be seen on screen for a matter of seconds.

Check out the History Section on the main board, download the "Evolution" booklet in the download section, and also the rather splendid www.dalek6388.co.uk website for more information

Cheers

Mark.

Hi Mark,

I can understand that as soon as I mentioned I was 14 I'd know nothing of the old series. But luckly I've seen all the dalek serials appart from the missing tapes (which I'd love to see). But I was trying to say is that the red and black daleks from the second film don't seem to have nice gloss coats and they look as if the've been sprayed in gloss black and red only to have a light sanding afterwards. Cheers for the site's but unfortunately I've already had a snoop round and i could'nt find the info i needed. Could you explain?

Cheers

Mark

hi

they more than likely were high gloss finish.. but the problem with high gloss for film makers is that it shows up reflections of everything around it so what they used to do was smear Vaseline on the
gloss object...be it dalek/car/glass/or other highly reflective surface...this then minimized the risk of the camera crew filming themselfs in the reflection... :)

take a look at some old starsky and hutch...or kojak films and you can quite clearly see it on the cars... ;)

alan

take a look at some old starsky and hutch...or kojak

films and you can quite clearly see it on the cars

and on Telly Savalas' head??

Moving swiftly on...

Hi Mark

You'll find the First Dalek Movie history on 6388 here: http://www.dalek6388.co.uk/dr-who-and-the-daleks-film.htm

and the second film history here: http://www.dalek6388.co.uk/daleks-invasion-earth-2150-ad.htm

and over on our main site you can see quite literally hundreds of prop reference images from both films.

Shiny shiny shiny

What information do you need and why? Which particular Dalek are you trying to replicate? Or if not replicate, whats the angle you are investigating and why?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Whel Alan managed to answer my main question (Cheers Alan) but I have quite alot of fiberglass props which include the following: a tv/movie skirt (depending on where you want to place the hemi's), a fender off a movie dalek taken from an original mould, a shoulder section which I'm guessing is not an original due to the missing defect line inbetween the arm boxes, and also my father bought some imp parts. These parts include a replica imp skirt and dome taken from the original moulds. So which dalek would you recomend building first? I would prefer to build a red movie dalek from the second film with the added complicated detaling as well (e.g. working iris, claw, defect line on shoulder section) but this may be a somewhat silly idea for a 14 year old boy who has no expirience on how to build a full size dalek. So as I am working on this project alone with only funding from my father, would it be better to just work with an imp first?

Many Thanks

Mark

Does anyone know a good blue for the fender of the first Movie Dalek workers?

The instructions suggest Peugeot Wedgewood Blue but I looked at the colour of the cap in Halfords and there is no way that is the right colour, far too pale.

For anyone interested I've used Ford Azure Blue Metallic for the dome and bumps and Vauxhall Haze Blue Metallic for the main body and it's come out looking quite nice.

Edited by Jay Owen

It would be great to see some pics. :)