Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Peekaymac

Papier Mache Dome - Not A Silly Idea

47 posts in this topic

As I have an over-active imagination, and time to burn one day, I started thinking about my next build (being almost a quarter of the way through my first one)

I was going to try and build a dalek by recycling as much as possible e.g skip-raiding, and I got to thinking about ways to make a decent looking dome and possibly hemis too, using papier mache. Has this been tried before? I had a look on the forum and couldn't see anything about it, but I know I'm not the first to think of it as I found a good papier mache site here. Did Mr A. J. Dawkins ever get anything posted on the PDF?

If not him, did anyone else ever try this and what success did they have?

Phil

This is far from a stupid idea. It's been talked about a few times round PDF.

The most notable success story is Crispin (Scarfwearer on PDF). His domes are papier mache:

http://www.relative-dimensions.net

more specifically, see:

http://www.relative-dimensions.net/Dalek/dome_and_eye.htm

Papier mache can be very strong and durable. Various more-serious glues, and even resin, can result in a very strong result. It can even be sanded, smoothed, drilled...

Hi

I too used papier mache to create my dome.

Admitedly my Dalek is half scale but I am sure it would work in full scale too.

I have some pictures and some short video clips of the dome you can quite clearly see the newspaper.

I used newspaper, kitchen roll and loo roll, several layers then sanding---repeat.

To give it a hard surface for sanding I used gesso this also helped find bumps and uneveness.

You need to be patient (like with anything) make sure it has dried before going to the next stage.

The painting was by several cans of car spray paint the type you buy to spray over body repairs on cars.

The whole lot was then sealed with a spray varnish.

Stan

Nice work Stan!

I never even gave papier mache a thought...until now!

Pete

I'd been thinking of using it for my hemi's, but hadn't even crossed my mind for the dome. Great idea, thanks!

I was suggested this, but i thought that it wouldn't be strong enough. But now that i think, it's not a silly at all!

People always think that papier mache must be cr*p - because of what we did at school with it, and the mess we got into with flour and water. But layered paper and all kinds of 'glue' have been used for centuries, the world over, and are still used. Even furiture has been made with it. These days, you have a wide choice of glues (and resin) that mean an extremely strong dome could be made with layers of paper - with a very 'finishable' surface.

The procedure isn't a million miles from layering up glass matt and resin.

I had an some sort of a good idea.

It would be a lot faster and easier to shape the papier mache dome with steel net.

The steel net would be shaped as a mould, and papier mache would be placed inside the mould.

Papier Mache sounds like a good idea for my build. My house has tons of newspaper lying around and this sounds like the perfect idea to get rid of most of it. :lol:

Hi every one just looking through the new posts and found this on papeamash domes etc .Im in the early stages of making a dome out of papiamash ive made a plug wich im covering with mash .ive made other domes before as experiments wich havent turned out not to bad if your interested look at my build diary second page under the heading Whitelights dalek theres a few pic on it .

http://www.projectdalek.com/i...?showtopic=2269

JIM.

This is a question for the builders who succeded with a paper mache dome. What types of glue do you recommend to make the dome as strong as possible and is the glue readily available in the US?

I made one papier machee dome with thinned wood glue and newspaper, which worked fine on the outside of a dome (making a slightly overlarge dome). When I tried this on a negative mould, the thinned glue all pooled at the bottom of the mould and wouldn't set.

I've had much better luck with negative moulds using a powdered wood pulp and dried glue mix which the pros use for papier machee. In the US there's a product called 'Fast Machee'. I've seen a similar product in HobbyCraft in the UK, but I forget what it's called. It can take up to two weeks to dry properly even with occasional help from a fan heater. Don't help it too much or it will dry unevenly and the dome will lose its shape.

Also beware that the bottom edge of the dome may shrink away from the mould very slightly, particularly if you help it with the drying by heating it.

I found the domes needed a layer of polyfilla type material over the top to get them smooth. I applied this fairly thinly and then later sanded them carefully with a directional light source (a posable lamp would be good for this). After this I sprayed them with thick primer and then car paint.

With hindsight, the polyfilla has been the weakest part of this approach, as it tends to chip. It might be worth experimenting with car body filler or the like.

You'll likely end up with a dome which is thicker than fibreglass, so you may want to cut your struts a little lower to accomodate this. I spray-painted the interior of my domes matt black before painting the outside.

Crispin

I am thinking of starting my Dalek dome down and i am planning to make the 60's dalek but i am trying to make it as cheap as possible because i don't have alot of spair cash but would like the fun of owning a dalek.

i was thinking paper mache but then i thought i need something to build the paper layers onto so any ideas would be welcomed i am not picky as my project does not have to be perfect a domes a dome lol

thanks in advance

I'm thinking a paper mache dome might be good for the Dalek I'm brainstorming. To anyone whose done one already and has also made the more conventional fibreglass ones, which do you prefer? Is one vastly superior to the other? Are they both reasonable choices? Does the difference in construction difficulty make a huge difference in which you would prefer to use?

Hello all budding papier-mache dome builders,

I'm in the process of making a papier-mache NSD Dome, and am probably about 80% through the process. I have posted a few pictures of the process so far.

Construction is cardboard core held together with masking tape, coated with newspaper (soaked in PVA), then covered in several layers of mache made from toilet-paper, PVA, wallpaper-paste and (a small amount of) linseed oil. I used a template on plastic-covered paper to ensure I kept/developed its 'roundness' as I worked through the build.

I still need to put on the final 3mm or so of skim, and I need to flatten a couple of areas, whilst raising others (the peak of the dome isn't quite central at the moment). The cork that is clued on will be pulled off once the final coat is dried, leaving those nice NSD depressions. I will put the lines in with a dremel. After some more sanding off the final coat, I will use high-build primer and so the usual sanding/painting as if it were a fibreglass dome.

It's a very hands-on process and takes a while (you need plenty of hot-weather to dry it at each stage), but it does basically seem to work and I think the final product will actually end up turning out quite well (assuming I do plenty of sanding/filling/priming) before painting it. The big plus is you don't have to work with anything particularly toxic, you can do it in the kitchen, and it's cheap (newspaper, PVA, and several rolls of nasty-quality toilet paper!).

When I am done, I am going to cover it in cling-film (the perfect release agent for papier-mache) and make a hard papier-mache negative from it (using boiled up egg-cartons), so I can try building one without the cardboard core. All good fun!

Cheers,

Stu

post-4648-1196132145_thumb.jpg

post-4648-1196132159_thumb.jpg

post-4648-1196132173_thumb.jpg

post-4648-1196132225_thumb.jpg

post-4648-1196132235_thumb.jpg