Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Shytalk

Cardboard Cutout Dome - Basis For A Plug?

58 posts in this topic

You can print it on a normal printer, just make the image 15x34.5 cm, print it on two separate sheets, then tape them together...

I've never had any experience of fibreglassing before, and I don't know if this is feasible, but being on a budget while aiming for a fibreglass build means I have to rule out spending money on quantities of plywood or MDF. it's making me think if cardboard is suitable for using as a plug?

I mean, does it take the usual sealants and is it usual strong enough to take the punishment of laying up?

I'm currently waiting on my workshop guide to come in so I'm taking the time to explore all of my options at the moment. I've done some searching around the forums but either I'm not using the optimal search strings or it hasn't been posted about much here.

Anyways, doing some searching on Google, I've found that it looks like there is a possibility of using cardboard as a GRP plug if you make and coat it properly. This is coming from searching for a combination of looking at cost saving whilst getting a strong end product. I've seen it mentioned many times that it's best for newbies to go for a full wood skirt and then use that as a plug which is what my initial thoughts are.

However, I just wanted to know if anyone has visited this idea and tried it out? If so, what were your results like?

If anyone has a link to a post around here that I missed please link me so I can do some more research.

Thanks everyone!

-Bob

[edit]
Of course after I post this I find the post about a cardboard dome and possibility of making a plug out of it. *facepalm* http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?showtopic=2218 Also discovered the wonders of post tags and searching through them.

For anyone reading this looking for more information: It appears it's possible if you make sure to put pva or plaster over top. The post itself refers to the domes and needs some reinforcement such as expanding foam. I'll be keeping cardboard plugs on the table as a possibility for when I get started.

Edited by aleal

Topics merged.

Oh, I was wondering why I couldn't find my topic originally :P I had meant my post to be about using cardboard as a plug for the skirt etc... not for the dome but it works here too.

Thanks for the merge.

Hello all,

I'm making a full size costum for my 13yr old boy. I am having a hard time making the dome. I would like to use the template that is here but Im not sure what a 4 print is or 1:1 print. (Crazy American). Could someone please post the measurments? Thank you.

but Im not sure what a 4 print is or 1:1 print. (Crazy American). Could someone please post the measurments? Thank you.

A4 is our normal page size which might be the same in your neck of the woods and 1:1 means print to full size, what you print is the full size, 1:2 would be half size,1:4 would be quarter or expressed this way...1/4 etc etc

Thank you so much.

What about using the foam in a can used for insulation?

It is super cheap, would fill in the gaps between supports, hardens fully rigid...

Thoughts?

Do you mean using foam to reinforce the cardboard dome? Or to make a mould (of sorts)?

If you're thinking of reinforcing a cardboard dome, I would use low-expansion foam. The ordinary stuff is incredibly strong and can push a door or window frame out of square as it cures.

I was thinking of using the "ribs" method, then just putting some foam in for strength then plaster for top coat of plug...

I know that foam is seriously sturdy so I was curious

Done with a bit of care, the ribs/fill would probably work. Covering the ribs with tape or plastic sheet might also work.