Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

popeye

Popeye's Dalek - Dave

85 posts in this topic

Hello all.

I have finally got the time to build my very own dalek. Since I watched DIOE last november when it was on TV I said I want to make that red dalek. And now that I have started, ThisPlanetEarth has decided to start building it as well! Oh well, mines going to be better.

I started yesterday getting my wood sorted and marked out. Then I cut them into nice round circles. The only problem I had was making the chamfer, my cheep router is not upto the job, never mind I have a friend who can put the chamfer on for me.

It was a bit of a downer moment spent a lot of time trying to sort it out with no luck, lost the will to carry on, but started the skirt and all's well.

I think it's just dawning on me what a massive task this is going to be.

Well on with clading the skirt tomorrow.

TTFN

Paul

PS

I am unable to load attachments, it keeps coming up with 'you did not select a file to upload' when I quite clearly did? hope it's nothing I'm doing wrong?

Good luck with the project and I for one look forward to seeing it's progress.

Here's the picture of me cutting my neck rings, the vacuum is attached for dust removale. I also used a piece of stud bar held in the centre with a ring bolt. Others have done it the same nothing special here!

post-122-1210233357_thumb.jpg

and another one of the skirt frame work.

post-122-1210233365_thumb.jpg

One funny thing that did happen when building the skirt frame was that the front support was 2" out? Strange? I will post another picture to describe it better latter, maybe it's something that has happened before?

Well time to go, my first post with pictures!

Great to see the pictures, even though you are not doing anything different to other diaries, it is still good to see them and it helps new members, (who may only look through the latest builds), to see how to tackle some of the parts.

If you have a plane or belt sander just run it around the edges of the skirt frame to bevel the edges where the panels are going to fix. This should stop them trying to bow inwards once they are attached. It doesn't have to be too accurate any small gap will be filled with glue anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Adam S

Well over the last couple of days I've been quite busy. Just can't believe how long it take to do all the parts, the hours just zoom by.

Anyway just a quick tip for anyone with just a hand held circular saw needing to cut long straight lines. Get yourself two off cuts from when you went to B&Q, these are usually nice and straight. Lay one on top of the other and fix them. The distance from one edge on one piece to the edge on the other needs to be big enough so that when you run your saw along it for the first time you trim the bottom piece to the exact distance from the other piece. Now when you lay this on your work to be cut you have a straight edge to work from. this method has helped be tremendously in cutting the large pieces. Hope that makes sence to all of you who read!

post-122-1210439717_thumb.jpg

The skirt section is coming on fine now. I cladded the frame I had made. I just used a couple of panel pins top and bottom then glued the panelsin place with wood glue once all had been fitted. Those clamps are a great invention making the job easier than it would have been. just remember to place a piece of wood as a backing against the panel to make sure that you achieve an even squeeze.

post-122-1210439746_thumb.jpg post-122-1210439738_thumb.jpg

Once the panels had been glued in place and had chance to dry I fixed strips of quater dowling with 'gun a nail'. I put a healthy dollop of the 'gun a nail' on the back of each strip so that it squeezed out of any gap in the panels. Once all the strips where in place and the glue had hardend the who skirt section feels very solid.

post-122-1210439752_thumb.jpg post-122-1210439759_thumb.jpg

While that was drying it the glorious sunshine that we are getting at the moment I thought I would crack on with some other bits.

I cut a couple of 150mm square pieces of 12mm MDF, drilled a 2 1/2" hole in the centre and a hole in each corner for the bolts and now I have a holder for my gazing globes so that I can get round to cutting the 1 1/2" holes. not cut yet untill I get my metal tubing!

post-122-1210439813_thumb.jpg post-122-1210439819_thumb.jpg post-122-1210439852_thumb.jpg

Next was to cut the former for the dome mold. The base for the former was the centre cutout from the base of the skirt, that why it look a bit un round / square :) At least I'm managing to save wood.

post-122-1210439887_thumb.jpg post-122-1210439895_thumb.jpg

After I had routered out the former I sanded it down with a flapper wheel to smooth it off and slightly round the edges.

post-122-1210439905_thumb.jpg

Then I fitted it to the base board with some chicken wire for something to mould onto which I will cover with newspaper soaked with flour and water mix ready to to cover with plaster mix.

post-122-1210439954_thumb.jpg

And finally I made the parts for the gun box from plans supplied on the other fine dalek building site.

post-122-1210439961_thumb.jpg

Well time to go now, hope that enough info for everyone. Any info good or bad is always welcome. if you don't understand something let me know and I will try and expand on it.

Hello to any who are reading!

Well the build continues, another coat of browning on the dome. Browning for those that don't know is like the undercoat plaster before you put the finishing coat (pink stuff) on.

post-122-1210538541_thumb.jpg

As you can see it is more dome shape now, finishing coat next. Maybe tomorrow?

I managed to build the gun box today as well. it looks quite good, hope it fits!

post-122-1210538566_thumb.jpg

I have one question. The holes for the gun, their placement. I have drawn two 45 degree line from the outside corners and made that my center, is this correct? Is there an actual measurement? See the photo below to make it all make sense.

post-122-1210538572_thumb.jpg

I have also managed to cut the top and bottom sections for the shoulders. I hope to be able to make the stuts and wrap them tomorrow.

post-122-1210538580_thumb.jpg

Well thants it for now, more going to happen soon!

Oh yes, we are all watching. :lol:

The dome plug is coming along well, its quite a long process of making it, but you will get there in the end.

The gunbox holes look about right, If i remember correctly, I made the center of mine an equal distance in from the edge as it was down from the top, so your 45 degree lines should do this for you.

Keep going.

Adam S

Just a quick thankyou to the post pixies that fixed my last post. The pictures got a bit muddled up, thanks again.

Well onto the build. The last couple of days have been quite productive.

I built the shoulder section frame, the same problem with the upright supports happened with this as well as the skirt section. The front support dimension were 3/4" out. I'm missing something here? See second picture close up at the top of the front support. Easy fix was to cut it right once the other supports were in place.

post-122-1210750063_thumb.jpg post-122-1210750068_thumb.jpg

I put the gunbox on tempory to see everything fits. A little mod to the gunbox should see it in place just about right. The front should slope at 75 degrees and the bottom 5 degrees down. See picture below.

post-122-1210750072_thumb.jpg post-4882-1210716564_thumb.jpg

I've cladded the shoulders as well, front and back. No holes yet for the gun box.

post-122-1210750110_thumb.jpg post-122-1210750114_thumb.jpg

No picture of the front yet!

I also built the neck cage. i used six supports on this which was made with 1" stips of 12mm MDF. Even though one will be straight ahead, if it anoys me I can remove it and still keep it's stability, only time will tell.

post-122-1210750141_thumb.jpg

Did a quick stackup to have a look how bit it will actually be, it's massive!!!

post-122-1210750161_thumb.jpg

I've also trimmed the base to start thinking how I'm going to takle that.

post-122-1210750165_thumb.jpg

And the final thing for today was putting the finishing coat of plaster on the dome mould. I hasten to add not the final coat.

post-122-1210750197_thumb.jpg

Well thats all till the next instalment. :rolleyes:

Hello Popeye,

well done with the build so far,you giving me the impression whilst reading your

posts that you seem to know what you are doing and progressing at a quick speed.

Quite like how you have shown use of router to get those nice curves on your base,i was just

going to mark my wood up and attack it with jigsaw :lol: . Nice choice in dalek by the way,

i have a red 1st movie version half built,which i can't wait to get back on with after ive finished the

one i'm on with at moment. Good luck with it i shall be watching :rolleyes:

Raymond

Thanks for the kind words RamondHyd. I've got a lot of time on my hands at the moment so cracking on as best I can. I wouldn't say i know what I'm doing, I have just read and re-read a lot on this website while I was unable to build. The method used to cut the curves with the stud bar works very well, but it does have a tendancy to flex and alter your radius if you force it too much, so nice and steady saves the bit and gives nice clean curves.

Everything seemed to go a little slow and wrong today! I did the shoulder section front skin yesterday as my last bit. This morning I tried to cut the holes for the gunbox, but totaly messed it up and had to re-skin the front section of the shoulders. Fortunately not too much damage when removing the panel, pheeew!

Newly skinned shoulders

post-122-1210849820_thumb.jpg

And the cut shoulder section for the gunbox

post-4882-1210794582_thumb.jpg

I have also wet'n'dry the plaster dome today with 160 grit. The finish after about an hour is great. There are some cracks in it from where it started to dry too quickly in the sun though. Now that it's smoth I need to leave it to dry fully before I use body filler for the cracks and a couple air bubble holes.

here's the super dome!

post-4882-1210795111_thumb.jpg

I've also sanded down the skirt section ready for painting. I think more sanding and filling tomorrow. TTFN

Well, I've been busy. I've cut out the base, twice! Stuck one on top of the other then built it up some more with a 2" strip all round sunk back by about 3mm so that I can stick the rubber skirt on. Here's some pictures.

post-122-1211012796_thumb.jpg post-122-1211012808_thumb.jpg

I've still got to filler the gunbox into position. I went to my local shop and they plus other customers in the shop suggested this stuff as it is the 'same' as P38. Time will tell, I'l llet you know how I get on.

post-122-1211012815_thumb.jpg

And finally, a stack up of Dave on wheels, only tempory wheels, still got to sort out the electric wheelchair, ooops, thats the cat out of the bag!

post-122-1211012821_thumb.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed reading so far, there's still more to go!

PS. Why can't I use post icons, they look quite cool?

Now that is starting to look good :rolleyes: must get back on with my Movie build .

Hello all,

Seems to have been ages since I last posted, well here's an update of whats been going on since the last post.

I marked the location of all the hemi's on the skirt. I went with the howit should have been done rather than how it actually was. Lots of head scratching over that one.

I used the two sticks together with a pencil on marking off from the top edge. I've also shallow drilled the centers to proveide location marking. I'm still toying with the idea of making a fiberglass skirt so I don't want to drill anything yet.

post-4882-1211320125_thumb.jpg post-4882-1211320290_thumb.jpg

Finally filled the gunbox to the shoulders using the body filler I mentioned above, and it performed brilliantly, no problems with that, and the filler is about 1/6th the price of P38, I think I payed £15 ish for the 5 litre tin.

post-4882-1211320610_thumb.jpg

I have also rounded off the fender(bumper) edge, which turned out really well. My little palm sander with 80grit paper on worked well.

post-4882-1211320812_thumb.jpg

And finally 4 coats of filler primer latter....

post-4882-1211320927_thumb.jpg

The weather was too hot while I was spraying, strange! Anyway the primer was drying before it landed on the dalek so it's got the texture of sand paper at the moment so some rubbing down needed tomorrow to make it nice and smooth.

Anyway thats all for now.