Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Jon Place

Jon Place's Genesis Dalek

89 posts in this topic

I've just started my Dalek build. I'm aiming for a Genesis style but with a few refinements. I read that most people seem to start at the dome and work downwards. Well, Ive made a start on the dome but its still drying out so I decided to make a start on the bit that interests me the most - the skirt section. I already knew that I wanted to have a separate fendor and I might well opt for an NSD looking fendor so the skirt seems to be a logical place to start. Also, it's wood and I understand wood. I haven't done any GRP work since I was taking my D/T 'A' levels and I'm 40 now so wood's the way to go for now.

First of all, I purchased some 9mm ply and 6mm MDF, marked up the ply and cut out the top and bottom panels to the skirt. I used temporary struts to position the upper panel over the lower one both to ensure that position and height was correct and be certain that both parts were parallel to each other.

Once I was happy with the alignment, I started work on the real struts. These took a bit of time to get done to my satisfaction (my thinking is that any minor flaws at this stage will get magnified as I go along) but once they were in I was able to work out the amount to cut out from the top and bottom panels.

Here we are before...

...and after I removed the spare wood...

You may notice the temporary castors I've fitted to the assembly. This is so it can be wheeled out of the way so it isn't continually picked up whilst is in this fragile state.

I'm sgoing to make this a split skirt so the next thing on my list is to creat the two lots of side struts. I'm going to make these out of 18mm ply to give them a bit more strength when the skirt is in two halves.

I've managed to source some 1" pipe from my daughters old trampoline (she's got a new one now - honest). The pipes is steel andif polishes up to a beautiful shine once the paint has been stripped off. I've also found a stainless steel sugar bowl in Woolworths that I'm going to try adapting for use as part of the eye.

Anyway, that's about it until next weekend - only three days to go :D

Hi Jon,

Welcome to PDF. And may I be the first to say that so far this is looking good.

The early stages of Dalek fever are the worst. You will find yourself walking through the shops asking yourself "could I use that on my Dalek?"

You are not far from me and I know you have plenty of good shops to look in.

The weekend is a magical time for Dalek builders. The morning is the time to work on the project and the evening we all watch the main event on the TV with our Jelly Babies.

We are all kids at heart. :D

I can't wait to watch this Dalek grow. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for your reply. You're right about 'Dalek fever': eveything I see is currently in terms of "What part can I use that for...". My wife has declared herself to be a Dalek Widow (aka 'the first victim' of my Dalek).

I've now got myself a split skirt and the back three panels are on.

Saturday mornings are briliant for my build: my wife takes my daughter off to her swimming club and my son and I can crack on...

Once I've finished the rest of the panels, I'll put up a couple more photos.

Hi Jon,

You and you son are going to have fun building together. I wish my dad was as cool as you.

There is a deadly part of "Dalek Fever" that will hit you towards the end of your build.

You will come to the realisation that 1 is not enough to start the Time War so you will start planning another build.

I am almost done with my build and am thinking "I have a Classic and soon a NSD, what I NEED is a Movie Dalek"

So though my room is smaller on the inside, I may have to start another build.

You son will be the envy of all his mates when he tells them he has a real Dalek at home.

Keep us all up to date with the build and there is always help thanks to all the amazing guys ( and gals ) of PDF.

Have you thought of a name for your Dalek???

best of luck and happy building

I've been doing some more work and things are starting to come together.

The subframe of the skirt is now finished: I managed to build it 'splitable' which will be a massive benefit when it comes to getting the Dalek out of the building.

I next started on the back three skirt panels. After much pausing for thought (to convert 1/10th of an inch mearsurments into 1/16th of an inch ones as per my ruler) and panic (are the measurments for the inside of the panel or the outside), I got these panels on I next decided to test my filling-in ability to ensure I wouldn't need to redo the panels (note to self: put more hardener in next time), I was ready to continue.

The problems faced with fitting the two back panels next to the main rear one had given me an much better understanding how to approach fitting further panels. I wanted a bit of time to consider how I am going to make sure the split is not noticable once the panels are in place so decided to now make a start at the front and work towards the split. I also decided to worry about the top and bottom fit of each panel once it was in place. I can then cut and plane the panel flush to the frame.

I'll probably do something similar with the panel fit for where the split meets (make slightly over large panels where the split is and then plane back to a tight fit) unless anyone has got any better ideas they'd like to share with me (please).

My daughter kept on asking why the base looked wrong so I had to dig out my old Sevens Model Dalek to show her which bit was what (which?). It turned out she meant that the hemis were missing.

I also had some excitment with Ebay: I found both a dome and some lights that I could use. Alas, I was outbid but I managed to find a silver lining: I've found a Rover Spares site that sells the lights for 70p each. The phot's not too good but they look the part to me. You can see them at http://www.landroverspares.co.uk/product.html?cpdID=521. I'd be interested to see what other people think.

I also got my workshop manual through this week from John. Blimey, that's a well put together document.

Anyway, here's a photo of the way things are at the moment with the Sevens Dalek sitting on top. Hopefully, I've compressed the image properly this time (sorry about the last lot Mr. MOD :D).

I can't wait 'till tomorrow to get the rest of the panels on.

Well it's been a busy time since I last posted.

Firstly, I've got all the panels on the skirt section and completed a first fix on it. I'm now at the 'fill and sand' stage. Here's a photo of the way things are at the moment.

I've also made progress on the dome. I've gone from this...

...to this...

...to this

I need to do a final fill of plaster using the former before I start sanding and filling the dome. Then next month I can buy myself some G4 and start really going to work.

Just to give myself something else to do while I waited for filler and plaster to dry out, I decided to make a start on my eye. I got hold of a magic 8 ball via ebay and performed some surgery on it last night. Firstly, I had to remove the magic bit so I drilled some small holes around the area of the window.

as you can see, the ball is not too impressed with my efforts :) Not to be discouraged by a mere magic ball, I continued to extract the interior part of the ball by joining my drill holes together. The ball got more optimistic at this point...

Finally, I was able to open up the hole just enough to remove the innards.

For those of you that can't make out what the ball says, it reads "Yes in due time". I took this to signify that the ball had surrendered to my ministrations :D After some filling and sanding, the ball now looks like this...

You can still feel the join in places so I'll have to do another round of filling and sanding before I'm happy with this part.

So, this weekend it's

1 Fiiling and sanding the skirt,

2 Fillling and sanding the dome,

3 Filling and sanding the eye ball.

I think there may be a central theme in all those tasks but I can't quite spot it ;)

As a final piece of news, I've decided to call my Dalek 'Nimrod'. I've done a search on the forum and I can't find the name in use by anyone else.

I'd welcome comments / ideas / suggestions on the build. I'm particularly concerned about the dome prepwork regarding GRP and the effect that the weight of the eye may have on dome rotation later on (do I need to worry about counter weighting the dome at the back to allow for the weight of the eye?).

As I say, all comments gratefully recieved.

Well I've had a busy few days with the build:

I've not had much time off recently so I decided to have a day off to do some building. I also took the family along to 'Wings and Wheels' on Saturday and met Orion and his builder Vince (where were the rest of you – did I scare you off?).

When we got home, I decided to concentrate on the eye since I was limited for room over the weekend (people – AKA builders - have dared to store 'things' – AKA 'equipment' in my Dalek command bunker :)

I've found the whole 'cut the pipe into sections and then thread them on the rod' approach harder than I though and I was wasting my nice shiny pipe so I decided to adopt a new strategy. I'm going to use a single length of pipe for the bit that has the discs on and then force fit the discs onto the pipe (with a dap of epoxy if needed). I made a mock-up of this to test the theory and then gave the resultant prototype to my 6 year old son to play with. It survived an entire afternoon of mishandling (and squabbling with his big sister over) so I'm pretty confident that this idea will work. The eye is now complete save for the discs (they're being primed), the electrics for the light and the actual centre of the eye. I really want to find some sort of opalescent Perspex for this. Once I've sourced this part, it will determine the lighting setup inside the eye.

I next turned my attention to the skirt and started sanding, and sanding, and sanding...

Eventually, I reckoned I was there so I gave it a coat of primer to look for flaws and I discovered....

flaws :(

So I sanded, and sanded, and sanded and primed again - the results were much better. There were still one or two areas that need attention but the overall effect is quite good.

Thus encouraged, I decided to start tackling the shoulder section. I've managed to build the framework quite quickly. I'm now weighing up the pros and cons of hardboard Vs bendy MDF.

Next up was the gun box.

Hmmm. The plans are pretty good on this except for the size of the side panels (I couldn't work them out at all). So I went into my house to do a bit of research. Several episodes of Doctor Who later, I decided on some dimensions that I was happy with. I don't know if they are accurate but they look alright to me. I've so far made the front and side pieces. I put these together and then pinned the result roughly into place on the shoulder frame to check the overall effect. They look a bit wide to me at the moment but everything is correct to the plans. It might be because there is no skin on the shoulders and the gun box is mounted too far forward at the moment.

Since I had a cutoff that was the size I need for the inside of the dome (from the lower part of my should panel), I finally created a test setup for dome rotation. It's basically a 'dumb butler' approach. The bearings I used are from a bow of Geo-mag – the magnetic construction toy - and have the effect that when the centre disk is rotated a quarter turn, the top disc rotates a half turn. This makes the rotation look nice and controlled and amplifies any acceleration quite nicely. The downside is that the rotation is not very light so I'm going to go back to the drawing board for this although I reckon it'd be OK if I were aiming to control the Dalek from the inside. If funds permit, I really want my Dalek to be remote controlled (having seen kids trying to climb on to Vince's Dalek at W&W on Saturday I want to be able to remove said children from my Dalek so Vince's approach seems more practical).

Anyway, here's a couple of the way things stand.

post-122-1214984638_thumb.jpg post-122-1214984644_thumb.jpg

As always, comments, suggestions etc. gratefully recieved.

It's been a while since I last posted to my Diary but I've been busy none the less.

I've pretty much finished the eye stalk. The disks are finished - I was lucky enough to find a tin of Humbrol model paint that was the right colour so I used that rather than visiting Halfords. The grey parts just need a final couple of coats of Rover Tempest to complete the Genesis look.

I have turned my attention to lighting up the eye. My Project Manager (my son) has decided that the light should be blue ala NSD. He had an old broken Sonic screwdriver LED torch that he sacrificed to the cause so I couldn’t really say no.

The photo shows the light during a test fit before the end was filed off to diffuse the light. It now spreads right across the eye very nicely and the Project Manager is very happy with the results. I had wanted to use a white light and had purchased a small battery powered ‘pop light’ (those lights you can just stick on the wall). Those three Led’s are very bright and built onto a small circuit board so they’d have been perfect. I’m now going to either save them for when I build my NSD or use them for the gun.

I have also been busy with the shoulder section. After weighing up the pros and cons of bendy MDF Vs Hardboard, I found some hardboard under my bed so the choice was made for me.

The back section went on easily enough. I didn't bother with a template: I just attached the sheet to the 'spine' of the Dalek and wrapped it round the two sides applying glue as I wend along. Once the glue had set, I was able to untied the ropes (I ran out of clamps - I really envy Adam his clamps), cut the top and bottom off-cuts away then finished off with some sanding.

Of course for the front section, I had to use a template. Rather than wrap the card around and then cut the holes for the gunbox, I fitted the gunbox, then built-up the card around it. Once I'd cut the hardboard I was gratified to see that I barely needed any filler around the gunbox at all. I was less happy with the fact that I'd cut to the wrong line on one side :( Somehow I'd managed to mark to the inside of the side strut rather than the outside so the hardboard was too short. I fixed this by adding a second side strut to the first to increase the thickness of the strut and so have something to attach the board to. I then used an off-cut of hardboard to fill the resultant gap. Finally I applied some P38 to both sides where the hardboard sheets join up. Once it's sanded down it should look like one continuous piece.

The gunbox is not yet permanently installed since I have still got to make the parts that will retain the gun and arm balls. I'm pouring over Adams build diary and frankly Adam I'm gonna steal your ideas. It's your own fault for being so good at Dalek building ;) (how does the saying go? "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognises genius").

The following photos show a rough setup that we did so that the Project Manager could inspect the progress so far.

(He seems to be OK with things).

Even though it's nowhere near complete it is starting to feel like a proper Dalek.

I've also been hard at work on the arm but I haven't any photos available yet so I'll hold off until there are some - the one in the photos above was just something we bodged together so check the feel of the build.

I did some more work on the arm last weekend:

I looked at using Aluminium pipe but it just looks too good for a Genesis build so I've decided to use waste pipe. Although I'm building a Genesis Dalek, I've decided to ignore authenticity and go for a three stage arm. I'm also keen on the innermost section looking like it's some sort of hydraulic piston so my parts list is:

Outer Pipe - 1.5" waste pipe

Middle Pipe - 1.25" Waste pipe

Inner Pipe - 1" Chrome pipe

Although I could use electrical tape to crreate the bushes I still needed something for the end of the middle pipe. I finally found some pipe covers that seem to fit the bill.

The cover is simply a forcefit over the end of the 1.25" pipe. The centre hole is then dremelled out a little to allow the chrome pipe to fit inside it. I have based the mechanics of the arm on Adams classic build so there's not much point in re-writting the method here.

When the arm is in the closed position everything looks nice a tidy...

... and it opens out to a reasonable length.

Here's a "plan" view of the open arm.

All the above photos have been without the plunger to make it easier for you to see what I'm going on about but here's another with the MK1 plunger on the end.

I went to my local Wilkinsons and found a nice hand plunger for about £1 that I'm going to use instead of the half ballcock shown; I think the soft rubber will be a bit safer when children are around at events.

I've painted the arm parts with Plasti-kote Metallic Silver and then covered this with lacquer. I did some paint tests on an offcut of the pipe and once the lacquer had been given a couple of weeks to cure it seem to be reasonably tough and because the lacquer takes away the silvery-ness the end product does look pretty much like metal (instead of something sprayed silver to look like metal ala Blue Peter).

Good looking arm, with a nice close fit between the sections too.

I used tape to bush out my first arm, but the first time I went out for a trundle, the tape got rolled up inside the tube and jammed the arm completly. I wouldn't reccomend using tape as a bush.

Adam S

Ahh Holidays. Long, lazy days on white sandy beeches; nice cool drinks in tall glasses with those funny umbrellas in them; quiet contemplation of sunsets with a glass of wine in your hand...

Nahhh. It's Dalek building time :D

After a week away in Cornwall (where the weather was frankly wet, damp or moist depending on your attitiude at the time) I've come back home fully refreshed to carry on with Nimrod. Holiday discussions with the Project Manager determined that it was about time we finished something off before we started on anything new so there has been steady progress on the arm, gun, eye and shoulders.

We invaded Halfords and invested in some Rover Tempest Grey and set to work sanding the shoulders. Next we made ourselves an 'ACME Dalek protractor' ala Adam to mark out the position of the two collars and drilled some guide holes help us site the packing parrts that go underneath the collars. We have now primed the shoulders and put a first top coat of paint on them: very pleased with the result so far.

We next turned our attention to the eye stalk - although it is built, it still needed the Rover grey top coat. The stalk has now recieved two coats and it looks really good (I hurt my shoulder trying to pat myself on the back). The only problem is that the Project Manager scratched the eye ball so I had to use wet and dry to smooth it off and respray. I don't know why but every time I paint the eye ball now, the finish goes dull (a sort of semi-matt finish) even though its gloss paint. So if anyone has any ideas as to why this is happening (or even better a cure to this problem) please reply here or PM me.

Next came the arm. We decided follow Adams advice and abandon the tape bushes so we made some out of some waste pipe. I don't know what thay make these pipes out of but the resultant action is very smooth. Since we are using a magic 8 ball for the arm and gun, we were able to drill the ball in such a way that the ball forms the other bush (for the inner pipe). This worked so well that we had to put some of the protective plastic back over the inner pipe in order to provide some resistance (it also makes a nice hydralicy sound too). Anyway, we have now declared the arm to be finished.

The gun came next: We sanded down the other magic 8 ball and then drilled it and fitted it to our gun pipe (I wish I'd taken a picture of my son sitting on his beer crate with a towel over his lap patiently sanding down the filler on the 8 ball with some wet and dry). The whole lot then got a couple of coats of primer and a coat of gloss black. We have yet to get the rods we need for the gun so this is as far as we can take the gun until funds become available.

We decided to do a test fit of everything so far. The pictures below show the state of play at the moment with the finished arm and painted gun in place.

post-5844-1219862560_thumb.jpg post-5844-1219862571_thumb.jpg post-5844-1219862580_thumb.jpg

NB. The original intention was to build a high quality Genesis Dalek that was as close as possible to a 'showroom' finish. The more and more I've built Nimrod, the more I keep going back to the orginal Genesis feel. If you look at the props in this story you notice more and more imperfections and cobbled together bits. I've come to believe that it is this imperfections that make the Dalek look more 'real'. I've already decided that when Nimrod is finished I'll be building an NSD style so I've decided that this will be my showroom Dalek. I've become more and more interested in treading that fine line between leaving some imperfections in to add a more authentic feel vs building the best Dalek you can. I'll post some pictures of examples of what I mean in a few days but I'd be most interested to hear other peoples views on this matter.

Anyway, that's all for now.

Looking good im building a genesis and trying to get the old look as in bent gunrods neck ring spacing and paint finish .I think it adds to the build

Im still trying to decide if brush painting it was the right think to do. As for the finish on your eye with the paint ,could it be that when you spray it the tempreture of your room is to cold and your getting a bloom on the finished last coat of spray or are you leaving in a drafty area to dry ,just a thought anyway good luck with your build bye ..JIM.

I managed to get the collars and slats fitted over the last couple of days and to get some more paintwork done too.

I downloaded the PDF collar templates and ran a test using thin card and after a bit of jiggery-pokery I got a decent fit. I had been a bit worried about the lower collar because I had made the rear corner of shoulders stick out a bitt too much so I knew I'd have to make the collar cover my mistake. I was very pleased to find that I had enough hardboard for all four collar parts. After a quick raid of Wickes I got hold of a sheet of 3mm MDF for the slats. I built a slat template out of an off-cut of hardboard and got to work. The collars have all had a couple of coats of primer and the upper collars have had their first coat of Rover Tempest Grey. I have not yet made the front and rear clamps that cover the joints - a job for next week. Fitting the slats was much easier than I though it would be. I did all of one side pretty much by eye - I blu-taked the slats onto the collar and kept adjusting until I was happy. I then marked the area of the collar where each slat went (remembering to number each slat) and then drilled each slat using the template. I finally fitted each slat to the collar making sure that the distance of the top of the slat to the top of the shoulders was the same all the way 'round. I then measured the gaps between each slat on the done side to create a mirror image on the second side. I have used small panel pins to temporarily fit the slats until I decide on how I will attach them properly (I'm thinking of investing in a riviting set from Halfords so if anyone has used them I'd be grateful for opinions).

After all the hard work, my Project Manager and I decided to put together a mock up of everything that we have built so far.

This shows the Project Manager standing next to Nimrod and gives a nice idea of scale.

This is a close up of the work over the last few days. As you can see, I've used mushroom headed bolts for the lower collar. They will be sprayed RTG along with the collar eventually.

A view of the other side of Nimrod showing that I've run out of primer for the skirt.

Of course the whole point of a Dalek is to be able to get in and trundle. The Project Manager bravely volunteered to be the test pilot.

Anyway, That's about all for now. I'll be taking some close ups this week of the areas of deliberate imperfections that I was going on about a few days ago so I can show you what I'm going on about.

Happy building.

It's been a while since I last posted an update so I thought I'd attend to that oversight.

I've been working on trying to finish off the whole shoulder section so that I can then kid myself that I'm about a third of the way there ;)

I have now made both the slats and the grills that go between them. I went in to B&Q for Ali mesh but when I saw the price I knew that my wife would "go mental" as my son puts it so I settled on steel instead. Cutting the mesh was no problem since the slats had already been positioned I simply had to arrive at a size that I was happy with. Again, the amount of available funds meant that I had to arrive at a compromise between what's on the plans and what I had to work with. I simply didn't have enough mesh unless I cut them silghtly too short. I suspect that you only notice it if you know about this though.

Once the mesh was cut I was pleased to note that it was nice and easy to fit: the slats hold it in place without the need for additional securing. I was worried though about the sharp edges on the top and bottom of each piece until I hit upon an idea.

The above photo shows the edges I'm talking about. I have highlighted the area in purple ink.

This shows the start of my solution. I already had a quantity of earthing sleeve so I cut a piece to length and then carefully sliced down the entire length of the 'pipe' with a sharp knife. I was then able to wrap the result over the end of the mesh and secure it with Araldite

As you can see, after a coat of paint, it looks like purpose built metal edging.

Here you can see the test piece I made compared to an untreated piece. I will treat the top and bottom of each mesh on the actual pieces but this picture gives the general idea.

I know it's not authentic, but I feel it is much safer - especially for the general public when I take Nimrod out on a trundle.

I have yet to decide on the colour to paint the mesh. As Im building a Genesis, it should be Rover Tempest but I am also considering either black (as shown above) or some sort of metallic gunmetal if I can find it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I have also been working on the gun for some time now. I have been putting this off for weeks now because I was concerned about it being a bit fiddly. I had made the main barrel out of some copper pipe that I had from when I had to plumb in a new bathroom. I had already made a complete dogs dinner out of the steel pipe I was intending to use (in the end I used this to practice drilling accurate holes).

After a quick trip to Wilkinsons (now how many times has that sentence been used around here?) I was the owner of several packets of 3mm knitting needles. I worked out the required length and then made a jig to ensure each rod was exactly the same length. I then made myself a second jig out of a small piece of oak that I had been saving for the purpose of bending the rods: I simply drilled a 3mm hole to the correct depth and held the jig in my bench-vice. Then I just had to insert each pre-cut rod into the hole and push the rod over to create the angle. I was pleasently surprised how easy it was to bend these into nice tight 90 degree angles using this method.

I then used the old folded paper trick to work out the equal spacing for the rods on the barrel (one piece of paper that is the circumfrance of the barrel in length, fold this in half three times and then wrap it around the barrel again. Each fold is 1/8th of the way 'round the barrel). Because I was using copper, the holes were nice and easy to drill and I gave myself the extra insurance of drilling with a 2.5mm bit and then using a small warding file to open each hole up to the correct diameter.

My main worry was then in front of me: fixing the rods to the barrel. In the end I decided to use the second half of my threaded rod to act as a depth gauge. I inserted this tube inside the barrel so that I could have each rod touching this so that each rod would be the same distance fro the barrel. I made a couple of mdf washers to ensure the lamp tube was centered inside the barrel and was then able to Araldite all 8 gun rods in one go. I had originally intended to remove the lamp tube once the Araldite has set but I liked the look of the end of the barral so much I decided to leave it in position. To my eye, it looks more link a device and more dangerous.

This is a pc I took just after the Araldite had set. You're looking down into the business end of the gun. I think it looks as if the outer barrel and the rods are there for cooling purposes. Not accurate but what the heck :)

Here is a side view of the gun taken at the same time.

Once everything had set, I was able to remove some of the excess Araldite and the prime and paint the gun. After a couple of coats of gloss black, I was getting pretty pleased with the gun. My son, (the Project Manager) made one of his appearences at this point and decided that we should have a light installed (this makes him sound a bit like the pointy-hired boss in Dilbert but I'm sure al the Dads and Uncles know what I mean). I was able to use one of the many broken LED Sonic Screwdriver torches that David has to achieve this. I cut the end off the torch at the point where the four supports are and sprayed this black. I had removed the small clear domed cover and the led. I filed down the led to difuse the light a bit more and after soldering some CAT5 cable to the led, I replaced the dome and cover. I then threaded the lde up the lamp tube from inside the Dalek and fitted it into the torch head. It is currently activated by a door bell button but this setup is just for now. I will probably fit something better later on that activates a suitable sound when the light goes on.

Here's a photo of the final gun.

As you can see, quite a bit of work.

Things are pretty much at a standstill now until I get myself a router. Then I can start the neck.

I have also agreed to take my Dalek along to a fund raising event that my Father-in Law is helping organinse so I now have a deadline that I have to meet to get the Dalek finished. I have until May next year. Let's hope the weather warms up quickly next year or I'm going to have to try and negotiate a dome off someone :(

Anyway, happy building, everyone.

Some nice detailing there Jon,

although they are not screen accurate they don't look out of place. I really like the look of the end of the gun. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you will make your deadline in time.

Adam S