Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Darth_Muppet

Magic 8 Balls ( Eight Balls, Eightballs )

40 posts in this topic

Has anyone used a Magic 8 Ball for the gun/plunger attachments?

I have one here for testing, don't know whether to drill it to get the liquid out or not?

I'm doing the NSD build so I really prefer black ball attachments ones to chrome like the Gazing Globes.

Theres a few who have used this method mate. You still have to fill the groove around the middle and paint it otherwise you can see the join

The gazing globes take powder coating really well.

Mine were powder coated black for the NSD, and I know that they are in felt lined holes, but so far there isn't any scratching of the black or even a hint of it comming off.

Adam S

Update: Now Jan 2011, the powder coating is still perfectly intact

Adam, did powder coating cost very much?

Reply from Adam:

They cost me the price of a pint, :lol: , its good to have friends in the right places.

Just checked with 3 Powder Coating Companies here in Norwich, one had minimum order of £50.00, the other two £150.00 minimum order... EEK! :blink:

Ideally, you're going to be feeding the gun and arm rods through the 8-ball. You're just using the shell.

Some eightballs have the liquid contained in a capsule that can be removed.

http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?s=&a...ost&p=54339

http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?s=&a...ost&p=53528

http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?s=&a...ost&p=51731

All I did was use the search function to find this info...

Lots of info there Mr Meme but all relating to the eye stalk and not the actual gun/plunger attachments. And I do know how to use a " search" function....

... but all relating to the eye stalk and not the actual gun/plunger attachments.

ReM's found you some links that show you how to remove the liquid and innards. Although the 8-balls are being used for eyes, the principle would be the same for the arm/gun mounts, but bigger holes being drilled.

And I do know how to use a " search" function....

Good! :lol:

Thank you, that's where I was getting confused as I'd read a post where a guy had left the liquid in the ball. Wasn't sure whether to go ahead with the Magic 8 Ball and drill it / leave it intact or the Gazing Globe approach.

But the info was appreciated, just that I'd already come across it.

I decided I'd investigate the properties of a magic ball and using it to form the basis for my eye.

I posted an wanted request on my local Freecycle (Yahoo Group) for one and recieved a responce within about an hour and a half. I collect it from it's current owner tomorrow, a round trip of about 4 miles.

No responces so far for two 100 stainless balls or a pump up water spray

Clawz

Edited by Bare Clawz

Hi all

Heads up for you. Argos currently selling magic 8 balls for £6.99

I just got mine from the bay of E and it cost me £7.99 :(

regards

Fenris

Oh dear Fen,

I got one free and then managed to find a local shop that had them on the shelf @ £5.99 each. All three balls were plastic so nice and easy to drill into.

The one I got free became the eye

post-5318-1222975734_thumb.jpg

Before final shaping and painting Clawz

Ah well

It was bound to happen despite the best efforts in saving money.

Still the important thing is I'm building hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards

Fenris (spend thrift)

Try the local YAHOO FREECYCLE groups. Just post a WANTED ad and you get some replies I am sure.

I got my 8 Ball free just for asking.

If it's of any use to anyone. I picked up some 8 Balls for a fiver each at Wilkinsons. They were old High School Musical ones so the plastic was bright red but they still paint up a treat.