Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Pete D

Tv21, Tv Comic, Tv Action + Countdown Strips

137 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of putting together an online resource of dalek comic strips - I've collected scans of all the TV21 strips over the last few years and the odd page of other appearances, but I'd love to put all the dalek related strips from over the years somewhere where everyone can read them. Does anyone have scans of the dalek featuring Dr Who strips from TV Comic, TV Action, Countdown etc? Do you know of, or have any other strips from other comics or magazines that I've not mentioned here that would make a good contribution. I repeat, this will be a free reference library on-line for everyone.

Let me know your thoughts. Pete

The Dalek Chronicles are here (no idea how much, or what quality) and here (first 24 pages).

A synopsis of the story of The Dalek Chronicles is here.

Iain's brilliant CGI version of the Dalek Chronicles is here.

Best of luck with pulling all the strips together. Would you include the Dalek stories from the Dalek annuals?

Thanks! I've already got all the TV21 strips in good hi-res as a good starting point. By the stories from the annuals, do you mean the text based ones featuring the ADF etc? I hadn't thought of those! Unless I'm mistaken, the strips from the dalek annuals were all tv21 re-runs? Were the strips from DOSB etc unique to those publications?

Some expert help is required here, I think - Mark D perhaps?

There's the "Abslom Daak: Dalek killer" comic book too. Lots of daleks in that, including the Emperor Dalek!! :)

And there's also the little spin off "Emperor of the daleks" which shows how Davros becomes the Imperial Emperor from "Remembrance"

I'll have a route around for it, as i've been collecting what i can of the comics too.

In the four Dalek Annuals in the 1970's there were a mixture of TV21 reprints and a few badly drawn "new" strips that appeared. Generally, the new strips were very poor in comparison.

Sadly, I don't have the annuals anymore, but I'm sure that theres people out there who could furnish you with scans Pete.

Regarding the Dalek Outer Space Book, I think I'm right in saying that the strips were unique to that publication - and further back.... I can't remember ANY strips in The Dalek World book. (Text stories and a photo strip from the first film I recall)

I think the suggestion of a complete resource hosting all of the Dalek Strips, collected together in one place, is a superb idea. I look forward to seeing the results!

:)

Mark

Just been searching through my hardrive and CDs. and so far, i've found that i have the complete scans of:

The Dalek Book (1964)

Dalek Outer Space Book (1965)

Dalek World (1966)

The Dalek Chronicles ( As re-printed in 1994 )

Abslom Daak: Dalek Killer (1990)

The above are all in .CBR which requires a comic book reader software to view it.

I seem to have miss-placed some others that I've printed out but can't find on CD.

those are:

Emperor of the Daleks

Happy Deathday (Which feature the daleks, alongside other enemies)

Doctor Who and the Dogs of Doom

There's also a VERY good web based comic called the Ten Doctors. It's a smashing read and features a very complex storyline involving all Ten doctors to date trying to work together against two dalek factions, ( So it is Dalek related ) and a few other enemies.

here's the link for the Ten Doctors,

http://comics.shipsinker.com/2007/03/10/a-...the-10-doctors/

He tends to upload a new page every month or so.

Let me know if you need any of them

Thanks Jixton! Great list,

Ooh... the Absolom Daak compilation I have that but it didn't even cross my mind- but not scanned, so that would save me alot of grief... all of the others listed sound great too. Someone said to me that lots of those TV Comic and TV Action strips were released in the classic comics series... does anyone know which dalek featuring stories saw reissue in that series?

Cheers! I love it when a plan comes together!

OK. I've been doing a bit of digging and I've found this info on the Dalek's appearences in TV Comic, TV Comic Annuals and Countdown/TV Action:

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, the 1st Doctor did not battle the daleks in TV Comic or TV Comic annual.

2nd Doctor (TV Comic)

The Trodos Ambush - Issues 788-791

*Reprinted in Doctor Who Classic Comics #8

The Doctor Strikes Back Issues - 792-795

Reprinted in Doctor Who Classic Comics #11

The Exterminator - Issues 803-806

Reprinted in Doctor Who Classic Comics #20

Jungle Adventure - TV Comic Holiday Special 1967

Attack of the Daleks - TV Comic Annual 1968

3rd Doctor (TV ACTION + COUNTDOWN)

Sub Zero - Issues 47-54

Reprinted in Doctor Who Classic Comics #5

The Planet of the Daleks - Issues 55-62

Reprinted in Doctor Who Classic Comics #6

The Threat from Beneath - Issue 112

Reprinted in Doctor Who Classic Comics #23

Reprinted in the 1977 Doctor Who Winter Special as a 4th Doctor story.

4th Doctor (TV COMIC)

Return of the Daleks - Issues 1215-1222

Reprinted in Doctor Who Classic Comics #17

The Dalek Revenge - Issues 1251-1258

So, has anybody got the original or reprints? If not, I will begin the laborious process of getting these off ebay...

OK... SO far I've assembled:

All the TV21 Dalek Chronicles.

The strips from the Dalek Outer Space Book

Dogs of Doom (DWW)

Return of the Daleks (DWW)

Jixton - would it be possible to get the strips from:

The Dalek Book

Dalek World

Abslom Daak: Dalek Killer (I have this, but it will save me the grief of having to scan it)

The full CBR for each would be fine - I will pull out the image files.

I was gonna say something a while back when I first saw this topic, but figured it wasn't really all that worthwhile. I have a .rar file of The Dalek Book, along with several annuals. But, seeing as someone else also has those, then I didn't think my information was valid. Just throwing it in anyway. If you're interested, I can pop 'em up onto MegaUpload or something.

Hi Trak Nar,

that would be brilliant... I thought folks here would be running with the idea from the off and we'd be pooling the strips left right and centre but it looks like it's fallen flat... I don't want to put something on the web that is 2/3rds empty it would just be rubbish. I think your assessment of it not being worthwhile is probably on the nail.

Thats the spirit!

Actually, as ideas for a resource go, its a sound one and a site featuring ALL of the strips is long overdue. (as I said the other day, in post 5, above :lol:)

Indeed, you only have to look at the replies to the thread to see that theres a couple of people who already have the strips in their collections, and all it would take would be a PM to these people to ask if they could arrange for the strips to be scanned.

I look at my own collection and the majority of the printed material are the factual books. I don't have a single annual nor "kiddie" book, and Dr Who Magazine (and similar publications) get bought, are read and within a matter of weeks, recycled. If I was a hoarder of items, I'd be scanning and emailing you the resultant images!

Better to have a site on the net that is partially complete and extend the request for the missing strips to be submitted for all to enjoy than to not have a site at all?

The other thing to bear in mind, is that the majority of active members here are gearing up for Exterminate45 - we've never had so many active build diaries on the go at any one time before! So thats providing a huge distraction.

But maybe, if people have a few minutes whilst waiting for paint to dry, resin to set, they could take a look at their own collectionas and see what Dalek Strips they have?

Don't lose heart Pete D. It IS a brilliant idea. Its not fallen flat at all (One only has to look at the time it takes for us mods to suggest a project / download / Teeshirt and for it to take months to bring it to fruition! The best things take time)

Start pulling together what the guys have already offered, and build upon that!

MarkyD

:)

OK...

I've been chasing various contacts that are comic collectors and Dr Who fans and I've turned up some good stuff:

2nd Doctor (TV Comic)

Jungle Adventure - TV Comic Holiday Special 1967

Attack of the Daleks - TV Comic Annual 1968

Sub Zero - Issues 47-54

The Planet of the Daleks - Issues 55-62

The Threat from Beneath - Issue 112

4th Doctor (TV COMIC)

These are in FABULOUS quality and will really set the project going.

However, I've flicked through the TV21 strips and they're quite low quality, so I might hunt for better scans.

I still need:

2nd Doctor (TV Comic)

4th Doctor (TV COMIC)

We're on our way and BTW, the TV Action /Countdown stories are fabulously illustrated if you've never seen them before.

Keep at it, Pete!

These books and comic strips were the stuff of my life when I was a lad. With very few exceptions nothing remains except fond memories. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to being able to read them again. :)

I wish I could help with your project, but all I have left is The Dalek Outer Space Book, The Dalek Chronicles and a disgracefully dog-eared copy of the Dalek Book, and no scanner. Sorry...

Hi all,

I've now got

4th Doctor (TV COMIC)

So this only leaves:

2nd Doctor

Out of the TV Comic strips.