Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

LorraineG6DNN1

Dalek Sound Effects

30 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area for this but here goes. When it comes to sound effects we normally think of voice modulators. At some events we hear other sound effects and audio samples being used. When I was at the Leicester Space Centre, there were a few genesis style daleks, but as far as I know none of them had an extermination effect. I think there was one dalek that had some sort of sound sampler device that could play samples at a touch of a button.

I wonder if anyone uses sound effects in their dalek, what sort of sounds are you using, and how are you playing back the effect, for example cassette player, digital sound sampler device, or chipcorder (where sound can be recorded onto an intergrated circuit then played back).

If you wish to post some clips here, then please do so.

So I will start off:

I have reworked the genesis gun effect. The trouble is, there is always some other background noise that interferes with the effect if you have taken the effect from a video or dvd dalek story, either someone screaming or groaning from being exterminated. So I've sampled an extermination effect from "genesis of the daleks" and made the initial firing burst a bit louder and cut and pasted the secondary effect to create that longer time effect as used in the genesis story and in doing so I was able to edit out any interference. I hope you enjoy the sound clip.

genesisgun.mp3

regards

Lorraine

Cool sound effect there Lorraine .... B)

I know 'Steve the Dalek' has some sort of sampler device installed with various sound effects, such as Tardis sounds and even the dreaded 'Crazy Frog'.

I would also be interest to learn more about this type of device and how they are best used with Daleks

Maybe this could be the basis of another electronics project?

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew

well steve the dalek(dave james) and goldie (terry smiths) both have yamaha sound sampelers in side them

at the Leicester Space Centre i think some had mp3 players in as well

they all had things on them like the exterminat effect ,the tardis etc etc and as andrew said even the crazy frog

hope thats of some help

tom.m

Terry and David both use Yamaha SU10 devices which go for around £80 on ebay from time to time. MP3 players can of course be used but you don't have the immediacy of being able to press a button and hear the sound - or perhaps even create a 'stutter' like "exter..exter..exterminate!"

I've realised for some time that this functionality is what people want (and need even if they don't realise it) so the new RattyMod caters for this completely and rivals the SU10 - but you'll have to wait for the full spec.

Now that sounds very interesting ....

Now what would be nice would be the abillity to play some sort of backgroung noise (tardis/engine room or whatever) and the play chosen sounds over the top.

How long will we have to wait?

Regards

Andrew :)

Edited by RepeatedMeme

I have a Roland MS-1 sampler... It's slightly larger than an SU10 and so therefore often alot cheaper, but it's just as good for Dalek purposes.

I'm not sure how many voices the SU10 has but the MS-1 has four, meaning that you can have as you said a TARDIS noise going in the background with 'exterminate' and a few gun noises on top.

I dont know much in the field of sound so a mp3 player or tape recorder will have to do but I could make the voice my self.

made with a low quality mic

not moddedexterminate

moddedmodded

and i will post some of the dalek wav files from destiny of the doctors video game no I dont oun a copy I copied it to my hard drive when I borroed it form the libary.

That's a bit heavy, try a lower frequency.

Oh thanks for that I will see how lower frequencys go

here are some of the wavs from destiny of the doctors

here are the sounds

Jordan: Link removed. It linked to this topic. Please don't use whole sentences to make a link. Please tell people what they are linking to. Please test your links after you've created them.

I have reworked the genesis gun effect. The trouble is, there is always some other background noise that interferes with the effect if you have taken the effect from a video or dvd dalek story, either someone screaming or groaning from being exterminated.

Hi Lorraine

I took a dalek gun sample from 'parting of the ways' and i removed the backing from it and I then made it louder.

ModEdit: Quote of complete post removed. When you wish to reply, please use the Add Reply button at the bottom of the page, to avoid unnecessary quoting.

Hi morgs,

Are you able to post your resampled dalek gun effect, it would be nice to hear it.

I have a software version of the synthesiser that the Radiophonic Workshop used to make the sound effects in the 1970s - this evening I had a play around and recreated reasonably accurately the genesis gun effect. I'm not claiming it's a 100% accurate, but it's got the right kind of feel to it - I've attached it here. It's a DVD-quality (48kHz, 24-bit) mono wav. I might also make some alternate gun effects using the synth... watch this space I guess.

gengun.wav

Does BBC offer a CD or anything of sound effects from Doctor Who and mainly hte Daleks? I don't have much way of getting things for Doctor Who considering Im in the USA and everytime I say "Doctor Who" I get the same response "Who?". No one here knows what I'm talking about. This is the greatest show on earth why are all the people here in the USA so stupid sometimes. Anyway, I'm sorry I responded to your question with another question. Any help? Maybe I can pay someone in the UK to send me a CD. I have a paypal account I can pay you with. Thanks.

The initial discharge is spot on. You need to work on the following pulses a bit but that said not bad at all.

keep up the experimenting! I'm working on a circuit, but I need to get 8 1M variable resistors for it, to make

'wierd' noises.

regards

Fenris

Hello Fenris,

What is your plan for the sound generator?

Why do you need 8 1Mohm pots?

Greetings,

Bertus