Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

trevorkeast

Cutting And Chamfering Gunbox Holes

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have built my gun box and I am about to cut the holes for the ball joints. I am going to use a hole saw for this however I have no idea how people then angle or chamfer the inside edge of the hole so that the ball sits in there nicely...

Any info would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Trevor

I machined mine on a lathe. You could use a router with an angled bit but most builders opt for wrapping glasspaper (sandpaper) onto one of the spheres and using this to chamfer the hole. I think I saw one post where the sphere and glasspaper were spun on a drill.

I had also considered roughly shaping the hole then plastering on filler and pressing a sphere covered in clingfilm into place.

Try out the 'search' function, you'll find further info with images.

I hadn't considered roughly shaping the hole then plastering on filler and pressing a sphere covered in clingfilm into place.

I Like that idea a lot.

I cut the hole with a jigsaw with the blade on maximum angle ( still not enough) then got a good coarse rasp and filed it to the right angle Dont be too fussy as you're gonna line that monkey with nice thick felt with some clean grease on it to help the ball rotate smoothly :)

i used a sphere no a drill with sand paper on it. you could use a flapp paddle sanding drum and carefuly sand it round. if you glue felt to the shamphered edge it will stop the joint squeeking.

I also used a sphere with cloth paper screwed to it and just spun it in a drill until i had the required depth.

post-9494-0-16146100-1327959072_thumb.jp

Hi Guys,

As you may know from my previous post I am in the process of building the gun box for my shoulder section. I have it mostly figured out but I am wondering about how to do the holes for the ball joints...At first I thought I would just buy a 96mm hole saw on eBay but I don't see any of that size...

How did everyone here do it?

Many thanks,

Trevor

I'm sure someone will be along to answer this soon, but in the meantime, it would probably be better if these questions were raised in your build diary (which is what most others do, as they encounter problems of this nature).

It's a bit dusty, but your diary is here.

It would be nice to see where your up to, with this build. :)

Hole cutter in both of mine. I didn't have much of a problem finding a 96mm here, found it for less than $12 in a pack of four.

Hi I used my fret saw to cut the holes finished with sand paper, and copied the builders workshop manual, screwing separate squares inside the gun/arm box to clamp with captive coach bolts.

chris

I have grp shoulders so I've made some ball joint rings to go inside the shoulders but I'm not sure how to line up the hole in the rings when making the new hole in the shoulders. Hints welcome. 

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. Can you try and explain in a little more detail what the problem is?

I think he has MDF squares with holes in them, and wants to know how to make sure that the holes he cuts in the shoulders aligns properly with the pieces he has already cut. 

The answer, is of course, to work out the appropriate position for the arm/ gun hole, and cut them, and align the two holes together, as you know exactly where the exterior ones need to be for practical reasons. 

Hi Jimmy. I'm assuming you've cut the hole already in the support ring? If so, use thin masking tape from the centre of each bolt hole crossing in the middle to form an x. On the ring. This will give you the centre point of the support ring. Place the ring on the shoulders where you want the port holes to be. Tape in place. Then use a punch, nail or marker to mark the support ring bolt holt positions and then the centre point where the two tapes meet. This will give you the centre point of the hole for the shoulder port holes if that makes sense.