Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

blackdalek

Special Weapons Dalek Plans

181 posts in this topic

Hi

Sorry new here and I was wondering if there are plans for the SWD or Dalek saucer from the Peter Cusin films anywhere :D

:D

Yes there are plans for the SWD but i have forgotten which post they are in. (Damn that reminds me i really really must get back to work on my SWD, Curse you college work!!!)

I don't think there are any plans for the saucer.

Hope this helps

There are these plans for the SWD. They have been circulating on the net for a while now. They are drawn from the Comet Miniatures kits, so are not quite accurate to the actual prop, but some guys have found they make a useful starting point. I should point out that I don't think they are intended as freeware. They are copyright to N. Roche.

post-97-1144832204_thumb.jpgpost-97-1144832219_thumb.jpgpost-97-1144832229_thumb.jpgpost-97-1144832240_thumb.jpgpost-97-1144832252_thumb.jpgpost-97-1144832263_thumb.jpgpost-97-1144832274_thumb.jpgpost-97-1144832288_thumb.jpgpost-97-1144832297_thumb.jpgpost-97-1144832307_thumb.jpg

Hi

many thanks

I give it a go in the summer

Now these are interesting.

So what do we know about the SWD? I assume that skirt is a classic skirt but are those 10mm hemis?

I tried contacting the author Mr. Roche a couple of years ago to see if he had a version without the terrible jpeg compression (can anyone read that text?) but was sad to discover that he had passed away.

I've got a good few reference pics assembled now but we have any other information that can either confirm or deny the above dims?

I seem to remember the person who 'created' the resin model, of which these plans are derived from, came forward and said the upper section was more accurate than the skirt.

I think you'll find that the skirt section on the SWD is the standard Imperial design.....

Any chance of John utilizing the SWD basic design plans as basis for "proper" build plans.

If for no other reason then as tribute to someone who at least had tried to create

a unique dalek.

Given the diversity of members there are bound to be some who would like to attempt a reconstruction but without

accuracy (of sorts) it would seem to be doomed to failure.

Ideally I would like to build every dalek variant but I do want to stay married :D so is not likely,

however perhaps variants might be the way to go

Please feel free to correct me if I'm hopelessly wrong, but I think the following has been taken as pretty much true:

The skirt is a standard Imperial skirt c/w 90mm hemis, just as dalekoracle says.

The shoulders are standard classic series shoulders without slats, with the addition of a large box to cover the existing gun boxes and act as a housing for the new gun.

The lower half of the head is part of an upside-down dustbin (120 litre).

The top of the dome is the top of an Imperial dome.

That should give you a good start for your build. ;)

Yes, according to the measurements etc. that all seems to be the case.

The SWD has classic-style shoulders? That's good to know ... I think I almost made a mistake (albeit in 8th scale).

Dr. Strange: Speaking as a scale modeler, that's probably the best way to get an example of every Dalek variant, depending on the scale you're using and what you can get away with in terms of shelf space ;)

I'm not at all sure the shoulders are classic-style - they've got the built-in bottom collar and the only shoulder-type that the beeb built like that was the Renegade/Imperial. I don't want to claim to be any kind of expert, but I think until someone who knows for certain posts, you want to hold fire on your 1/8 scale model shoulders...

EDIT: Actually, the more I think about it the more I know the shoulders are ren/imp shoulders. I've got a movie shoulder section sat on top of an imperial skirt in my drive at the moment, and the shoulders are hopelessly small compared to the skirt - if I sit the front of the shoulders over the skirt correctly, then the back is too far forward (a lot too far forward) - must be a ren/imp shoulder section on the SWD

Edited by subcusick

hi, newbie here. so the only plans available for the SWD are the ones in this thread so far?

Hi SWD49gj95!!!

Indeed to date, the SWD plans above by N.Roche are the only ones available anywhere on the net.... ( Unless someone is secretly hoarding any others? )

However, you can make a fantastic build from them, as I believe Ady and his brother Gareth used them when building their SWD Twins, Hillman and Conan. He'res a link to their build diary:

http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?showtopic=4676

Also, there is my SWD called ASBO, which I started to do halfway through my Imperial dalek build, as they share the same Skirt section. ( 80's daleks have a different shaped skirt to the other daleks )

Although my Shoulders were made to go ontop of an NSD skirt, they fit perfectly ontop of an Imperial Skirt which are to the same measurements to the SWD plans above.

My Gun barrel and dome top are also as the plans above. But my shoulders aren't as they were shrunk down to suit the 80 litre bins which are available and used for the neck half. You can see where i started on my SWD build half way through my build diary and near the bottom:

http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?show...=1670&st=20

Although my shoulders and neck aren't the correct size, it still looks impressive and has had alot of compliments.

For the purest SWD build, you'll need a 120 litre bin for the neck section, but as these are extrememly hard to find these days, Ady and Gareth came up with a way to solve the problem within there builds. ( see first link above )

Hope this will help you when you start building... it would be great to see another SWD build on it's way. These special Daleks seem to get neglected.

As far as I'm aware, Conan, Hillman and ASBO are the only 3 SWDs to date that are actively trundling around across the UK.....If there are anymore... they're very shy!!!

There was at least another 2-3 SWD builds a few years ago, but these seem to have gone to ground or retired from exterminating, as they aren't seen around much these days.

There is also, of course, Alans superb "STORM", which is based on the Dark-Dimension-Specail-weapons-dalek that Mechmaster added his design twist too, which can be found here:

http://www.projectdalek.com/index.php?showtopic=2859

Hope this all helps

Hthe SWD plans above by N.Roche are the only ones available anywhere on the net....

Thanks.

are there any larger pictures for those? They're a bit too small to make out the details.

cheers!

Using the info given already in this thread , and photos easily available through Google of the gun bit and the photos in the Project Dalek refrence section , you dont really need these plans.

Project Dalek have imperial plans...there`s your skirt and dome dimensions, the shoulders can be scaled up from the base easily enough using the imps as refrence, the bin is no longer available but check the build diaries mentioned for advice..thats about it . Use a bit of detective work here in the forum and away you go ..good luck.

Edited by rob