Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

doctorwhoprops

Dalek R1

13 posts in this topic

Hi thought some of you might like to see my new aqusition, Dalek R1 used in Revalation and then in Remembranve as a renagade, in particular as the one in Totters lane junk yard, the Dalek has now been restored back to its correct colour as seen in Remembrance with its distinct, Grey lower collar and seven small slats etc..

post-11401-0-78504600-1345910416_thumb.jpost-11401-0-83591900-1345910433_thumb.jpost-11401-0-17949100-1345910454_thumb.j

Wow. Go you. More pics would be welcome, especially of the inside.

I'll second that wow, fantastic Do tell us more! Blimey Wait til Aaron sees this, he'll freak... :o

Joe you know me too well. Having spent most of this year building this Dalek myself, I am very intersted in the prop! Although I still haven't got that colour right!

I am not sure if you repainted this, or someone else did, but the ball joint of the gun should be grey, rather than black. And obviously when Derek Handley rebuilt it he put on the 'trefoil' style neck rods, rather than the rounded-'square' ones, but that's been with this Dalek since 1994(?) so, it's almost a part of it now.

I am assuming on the Dalek now is a moulded 'Renegade' style eye, rather than the more 'traditional' style eye that it had on screen? It's hard to tell from the image. I am assuming you won't reveal what the silver iris material is? As it looks bang on right from here.

One more question... why are the images called "Earthshock Cyberman?"

Thanks so much for sharing this, I would love you to share so much bigger images of the prop. Currently my goal in life is to own that specific prop.. and one day I will.. yes one day!

Cheers,

Aaron

What an exceptionally small world.

Just finished a morning coffee chat with Aaron...

I happen to be repairing the Base Section of this type for

the Owner of Chicago TARDIS....aka...Dalek George.

flippin' 'eck

The prop was returned to its Remembrance look by former BBC sfx designer Mike Tucker, the grey was hand mixed, the gun ball is grey but seems to have turned out a little black in the images?!

The eye is the correct remembrance moulded style, I will find out what the iris material is, the hemis are now originals apart from eight on the back panel, they were originally gold and came from a imperial, dome is from the imperial moulds, all in all I think it now looks fantastic I belive these props should be renovated were possible and returned to their last screen appearance.

One prop I think would be great to return to original is the Bonhams black necros.

The images are taged Earthshock as I was also taking images of an original head and chest

Good to hear, I wonder what Imperial prop the hemispheres were from? I know one of the Imperials seems to have gone missing over the years, I wonder if it was used for parts for other Daleks?

I would love some larger images to take a look at of the prop, Mike Tucker has done a fantastic job at restoring it.

I would also love to see the black Necros Dalek returned to it's TV state, but I am sure at least one member of the forum is against it! ;)

Another nice addition Jamie!

The iris material is probably the gold foil used on the Imperials, it was a lightweight plastic that used to be on rolls in the Vis FX department. It was used quite a bit because it was opaque and easy to vac form and also it was used quite a bit for visors in sci-fi shows ( trainspotter fact- it's the canopy cover on the starbug model in Red Dwarf ). It's gold on one side and silver on the reverse- they used it for the visor on the battle computer helmet.

Last year I went to Pinewood studios to try and get some from the vac forming shop, unfortuneately its now shut down and I haven't been able to find a supplier for the exact stuff. I had a chat with Mike earlier in the year and he doesn't now where to get it from anymore either- I did see something which looked right on Ali Baba, but it was a minimum spend of about £1000- I really don't need that much!

Edited by Dano

Thanks for the info Dano, you should repost that somewhere easy to spot for future reference. So.. time to bug Mike Tucker for some!

This isn't necroposting. ;) It's filing the following info.

I think the trade name is Mylar... do some searching. I found examples via Google that claimed to be gold one side and silver on the other, and highly reflective. It's used for space blankets, helium balloons, wrapping presents... stretched flat, it can even make a mirror.

eBay sellers are offering small sheets for craft use. I'd suggest messaging them to find out how reflective their stuff is.

I may be mis-remembering, but from memory I don't think it is Mylar- it's too yellow in hue from what I recall. I popped into Amari with a  sample a few years back and they never got back to me, I may have to pop in again.

Mylar is the brand name for a type of stretched polyester film. Melinex and Hostaphan are two other well known trade names for this plastic, which is more generally known as BoPET or biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate. ;) 

I used to work with a material called "Aluminised Mylar" which was mylar sheet with an aluminium coating on one side.

We used it in layers as a thermal insulation material in the vacuum space of superconducting magnet cryostats.

See: www.scottbouch.com/nmrbq.html for photos of this stuff. I refer to it as just "insulation" in this web page. I apologise for this page as it was one of my first, and  need to re-visit it to tidy it up at some point!

It was very shiny silver, probably due to the aluminium coating. You could see through one layer if held up to the light, but not too easily, a bit like old video tape.

I once had a load spare and considered adding it as a layer of loft insulation, but I tested its flammability.. it went up big time, so I decided it was best not to use it in our house! I sadly have no more now.

Brilliant stuff though, wrap your arm in 6 or 8 layers and you'd soon bake under your own heat!

We also had it in 1" wide adhesive tape form for sticking the insulation together. 

As with the insulation, it was very thin and floppy.

Cheers, Scott