Welcome to Project Dalek

You need to be a member in order to access our content.

Click Here To Join!

For instant access to the plans and all Forum features, choose Active Membership.

Forums

1. Welcome to the Project Dalek Forum

1. Information for Guests

What you need to do to join

1. Hello & Welcome

Members can use this section to introduce themselves and find out who's building Daleks near them. Please post in the sub-forum that relates to your location and also supply a town or regional location.

When introducing yourself, you might also want to add your location to the Member Map. This will greatly increase your likelihood of finding friends and help, locally.

Essential information, forum business etc.

1. Technical Questions

General Forum (software) technical questions. Problems searching, posting, downloading or opening files? Ask here.

Download discussions and download news. Note: the downloads themselves are accessible by clicking on the links in "Project Dalek Essentials", at the top of the page.

Problems with plans? Disagree with dims?
      Frank open discussion welcome here.

1. Builders Progress Diaries

Superb 'hands-on' reference material for new builders. When you start to build your (full size) Dalek, please join in by contributing your build diaries and photos here.

A place to show off your finished Daleks. Please share your photos with us here, even if you've already completed a build diary.

Information, plans, downloads etc for active Project Dalek members

5. The Workshop: Dalek Construction & Design Discussions

1. 1,045

Colour schemes, detailing, finishing touches.

1. Working with GRP

Problems with fibreglassing or moulds? Ask here.

Working with wood. Making wooden sections. Problems and solutions.

Collars, slats and mesh. Best materials, cutting and shaping.

What type and when to use it. PETG, acrylic, polystyrene. Vac forming and pressure forming etc.

Paint types, compatibility, priming, spraying techniques, finishing and polishing.

Post here for help with materials not covered above!

1. Voice Modulators

All voice-mod related questions, reviews, research and development in here, please.

Non voice-mod electrical topics such as wiring, lighting etc.

Adding motors, batteries, control units, PIR etc.

1. 13,216

Just getting into dalek building? Decided to build a scale model before you attempt a full size version? Talk about it here.

Are you considering doing something a little different Dalek-wise? Plans still on the drawing board? Post here for discussions, advice and help.

1. A History Of The Dalek Props

A detailed, in-depth look at the History of the Dalek props.

Did you or someone you know meet/photograph a Dalek in the 60's, 70's or 80's? Did you take photographs of Daleks at a fete or at the Blackpool Doctor Who exhibition etc? PLEASE email or share your pics here.

Exhibition Daleks, stage Daleks, Edwin Hall Dalek ride etc.

1. Events, Conventions and Meet-ups

Now you've built your Dalek, why not get involved?
      Create events or let others know about events you're planning to attend. Sign up for and chat about existing events. It doesn't matter if you're not the organiser... if you're attending you can tell everyone here.

1. Talking Daleks

Dalek-related exhibitions, news, websites, suppliers and other items of interest to Dalek builders. See the sub forum (inside) for Dalek toys, models & DVDs.

Dalek related but not build related, (no fiction). Post it here and we might let it stay, if it's interesting!

• Ferrain

Dillema - POTD in the cinema tonight or just wait for the colour DVD.
      · 2 replies
    • Thomasdregos

Started a few years ago with downloaded MK-III plans and the handbook. I have a lot of tools but there are a few I will not do without a second time!
      I made a base out of 1in plywood for strength but the front section wound up too long and narrow. I'm not going to fill the gaps as the skirt is sturdy and the error is underneath and hidden. To save weight and money I tried using 0.25in plywood for the panels but everything warped so badly I had to completely redo the panels with thicker plywood (I hate using MDF). The truss I built from 2x4 lumber helped greatly in centering the top of the skirt and getting the new panels on. The new panels still warped some but that's due to my workshop being an open carport! The cheapest hemispheres I could find were 4inch foam balls I could paint halves to look like the show. These are still $4 US @! The panels are staying smooth for now.
      The Gunbox was tricky as the plans were not specific about it's dimensions nor where to place it exactly. I finally just made a rectangular box and attached it where I thought it looked good. For the arm hole balls, I drilled a 3.5inch hole and beveled the inside edges. The backplates worked perfectly but are hard to access to get the nuts on the bolts.
      The skin of the Shoulders came out well. I used thick paper to wrap around the curves and not crumple. With everything covered by paper, I coated the paper with polyurethane. This stiffened the paper so I could fiberglass over with just two layers. Then something fell on the Dalek and chipped the Gunbox edge! Bondo to the rescue.
      The Neck Rings came out okay but I could only rout a 45 degree edge down 0.5inch, so my rings look like the Imperial ones.
      I built a Lazy Susan type head swivel out of two plates of 0.5inch plywood with matching routed grooves. I filled the grooves with marbles as a type of bearing. I later found a much better Lazy Susan from a Science Surplus catalog and will use that next time.
      I'm on my fourth Dome attempt. The first I measured wrong on the template. The next few times I tried different modeling methods but none worked well enough. My last try was a beach ball I covered in paper machie. The idea was basically sound but the ball deflated overnight and I had to add to the edge to make it clear the neck struts. I have this dome to the point where I am fitting the eyestalk pivot.
      I have to redo the pivot as the first one came loose in my drill press and the eyestalk hole became off center. I want the hole through the pivot as I am planning to put a web camera in the eye of the Dalek.

One thing I really need next time is a workbench. For this build, I used the base of the Dalek as a workbench.

I'm going to complete this build but use my experience to build a much nicer one next time!

Going out with a funny story. We have salespeople coming door to door, selling security systems. I like to lead out to the Dalek and describe how I'm going to make it an automated security system with facial recognition and more! Their eyes get big and leave vowing not to ever bother my house! The security sign on the lawn will state "forget the owner, beware the Dalek!"
      · 4 replies
    • James Rice

Whats the best site to host images from? for larger picture, because I plan to make a Thread soon and don't want the pictures to be low res =)
      · 1 reply

• New Topics

• Popular Contributors

• Download Statistics

• Files
    • Comments
    • Reviews

Latest File
    By John

70    0

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room