In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

hi all
with the help of mechmaster down there in the cgi section
and me in the wood and bodyfiller..section :lol:
may i present Storm...a one off special weapons dalek...
brought to life in the real world... ;)
he is not going to be easy and he may take a while
to do..but im going to have a go... :)

alan

Attached Files

Edited by RepeatedMeme, 12 October 2007 - 09:04 AM.
Opening post rewritten by Alan

#2 John

John

In Churchill's bunker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:34 PM

I'm really looking forward to following this build Alan.

Are you planning to use your usual fiendish combination of MDF, filler and 'random objects' or have you something else in mind?

Either way, I know it's going to be awesome! :)

Edited by RepeatedMeme, 12 October 2007 - 09:00 AM.

#3 dalekoracle

dalekoracle

Dalek History Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:47 PM

As build projects go, this ones going to be an absolute blast.
Mechmasters Render is a superb starting point and I hope that Storm will look every inch as magnificent.
The colour too - a "kiss to the past" with its sleek silver and blue echoing those classic builds of the sixties..... everything about the design feels right and it'll look fab amid your other beasties when complete.

So..... whats keeping you? :P

Good luck!

Mark

#4 alansdalek

alansdalek

In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

hi john

this time on the build i do have a few more tricks
and suprises though....but more or less mdf and filler.. :lol:
and foot power too....you will see why... :)
i have one or two bits already made up so
i will post them as i progress..

alan

Edited by RepeatedMeme, 12 October 2007 - 09:07 AM.

#5 John

John

In Churchill's bunker

• Admin
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:08 PM

I'm guessing foot power is a good choice because of the potential height of the beast. Either that or a Segway. Looking forward to seeing your 'bits'.

Edited by RepeatedMeme, 12 October 2007 - 09:08 AM.

#6 alansdalek

alansdalek

In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

hi..

the biggest problem with this build and always was is the neck rings... and i will give you an example... without giving any measurements away... ;)

if you were to bond all 3 nsd neck rings together you would be just a couple of mm over.... :o for 1 neck ring for storm.... i have had 1 or 2 goes at these in between finishing off the 2 nsd`s...but so far both have gone on the bonfire.... :lol:

the first ring weighed more than maxx.... :lol: kept me warm for an hour or so... :) the second i tried to do barrel maker style.... but the finish was to messy..and would of taken loads of filler to get it right.... but i have a plan....im going to make them hollow.. or rather filled with expanding foam.... 3 x 3MM rings with blocks stuck round..in between then a skim of filler...and if that wont work I'm in trouble.... :lol:

alan

#7 dalekoracle

dalekoracle

Dalek History Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:56 AM

Hollow and filled with expanding urethane foam would work. It would be fiddly and I don't envy you having to rebate the recesses back into the underside of the rings, but it would not be impossible.

Its a shame that the rings are not the same size, as it would be relatively simple to make up a mould and have the top and bottom of each ring vac formed in plastic.

Actually, thinking about it... If you had a sheet of Formica or similar flat (but glossy) surface, you could create a series of moulds in clay (useing the same methodology when creating the Dome Profile using a rotating template). This would enable you to sculpt the recesses on the underside of each ring, and then cast off an individual mould for the upper and lower surface of each ring.

As the ring profiles seem to be the same top and bottom (recesses not included) you need only have three templates (the different diameters) cast off the top of each ring moulds first, then cut the resesses into your originals, and then cast off the moulds for the undersides of each ring.

Its an option that you might want to consider. (and I hope I've explained that clearly! LOL)

Hope that your prep work for the build overall is going well, and I'm looking forward to seeing the first of the progress pictures.

Best

Mark

#8 Fenris

Fenris

Inside the Void Ship

• Section Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:08 AM

hi alan

just a small suggestion, make a sandwich of mdf inner and outer edges then ply top and bottom see pic. this is going to be one hell of a trip!

Attached Files

#9 RattyVulcan

RattyVulcan

Patrolling in Docklands

• The Events Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

Hmm.... might be missing something here, but isn't this a case of making two of each ring in the traditional way and then turning one over and gluing them together?

That way the detailing on the underside ring would be relatively easy to achieve as you'd at least have some meat to cut into.

RV

#10 mugsyuk

mugsyuk

Patrolling in Docklands

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

I think RV might be onto something, the only problem with his idea is that of the weight.

So how about this, you make 6 rings, chamfer the correct angle on the outer edge to give the right shape, then with a wide router piece, rout out an inner track on the sides that stick together.

Effectively its kind of combining Fenris 's idea and RV's, if you cut the discs, put the outer chamfer on then cut out the track on the sticking side then cut out the inside disc you shouldnt have a problem with the strength during production either.

like this;
Attached File  rs.jpg   40.18KB   55 downloads

You could then pump insulation foam in to give strength to ithe core

Edited by mugsyuk, 19 September 2007 - 04:27 PM.

#11 RattyVulcan

RattyVulcan

Patrolling in Docklands

• The Events Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

Yep, I like that - the resultant ring could end up being lighter than an original.

RV

#12 alansdalek

alansdalek

In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:22 PM

hi all

thanks there are some good ideas there!! some i hadnt thought of... :( RV,...i did make one out of 3...18mm rings... but the weight of it was stupid... :lol: so i threw it on the log burner... i have gone down the mugsy... fenris route... with my own twist to make them lighter.... the pictures here show parts for just one ring... all out of 3mm mdf.. there is the centre ring...the 2 sloped rings... another sloped ring where the bottom detail is the inner detail bottom ring....the top and bottom... and the inner coller..... :o the 3 sloped rings were cut bigger than was needed... and had a segment cut out...when these rings are pulled together they go into a cone shape that is the right angle for the neck ring.. these are now being glued...and when they are dry will be trimmed and stuck on to the centre ring... then the top and bottom to add and cut out the detail bits on the bottom of the ring, ive thrown it all together for some pics... so you can get the idea... i will trim it all tomorrow and stick it all together and see what it looks like... 1 neck ring in 2 days... :o its not so bad. thanks for the help guys..

alan

Attached Files

#13 alansdalek

alansdalek

In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

thanks guys...

bodge it and scar-per was my nick name there ian.. :lol: anyway i have been hard at it again...in between rain showers and i have managed to get the ring trimmed and glued together im quite pleased with the way it has turned out... its 2mm too short...but i can live with that.. :lol:

i have put a skim of filler on around the detail on the underside to soften it up a bit.... 1 down 2 to go.... :) and if your still in doubt about how thick these rings are...check out the picture with it next to maxx... and thats the smallest one :o and its really light too...about the same weight as an nsd ring...

alan

Attached Files

#14 Sacristan

Sacristan

In Tranquil Repose

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

Alan,

Are you sure that's a neck ring and not the rim of a Dalek Mother Ship?? I'm going to review your earlier pics as I can't figure out how you got the conical section with such a smooth curve... :unsure:

Ian :unsure:

Nope that didn't help Keep the kettle hot, I can sense a tour of inspection is due ;)

#15 alansdalek

alansdalek

In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:35 PM

the kettle is always on ian you know that... yes thats a ring....now you see why i didnt use solid mdf.... :lol: here is a picture of what it should look like im pretty close... ;)

alan

Attached Files

#16 alansdalek

alansdalek

In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:15 PM

thanks guys

its hard to believe...but no power tools were used
in the construction of the ring....
it was all done by hand...
well a plank of wood 2 screws and a craft knife
a roll of tape and some glue and filler...
and a dust free back garden... :lol:
i should get the next 2 done faster now i know
how to go about it....
its 90% think time and 10% work
when you start on something like this...
i want him done for Christmas if i can...

Alan

#17 alansdalek

alansdalek

In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:38 PM

hi all thanks for the comments guys..

I'm pretty pleased with the way the rings have turned out...as they were the things that were bothering me so now they are done i have decided to try some of the more fiddly bits...the back pack and the dome for the dome I'm going to use the cardboard segment aproach..thanks to ian...sacristan for printing that out for me...and for the card.. ;)

the back pack is going to be all 3mm mdf... with the exception of the outer rings..these will be 12mm to make it stronger.. it took me a whole day just to mark out the various parts....and make templates for all the cooling fins ect... some of the measurement are there... but others are down to trial and error, because of the bad weather i have only been able to part do the rear face of the pack... really must get rid off some stuff from our garage now winter is setting in... anyway here are some pics..

Alan

Attached Files

#18 alansdalek

alansdalek

In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:49 PM

hi

well today i stuck the dome together... cardboard dome that is.... i first cut all the segments out and then started at one end fixing at the bottom edge...and joined them all together.. then i did the same again a few cm up and when around again ...and again and again...and was suprised to find... its not half bad...so i covered it with grp tape... and the damn thing is as strong as a house... :lol:

im going to paint pva on the inside then fix it to a 3mm disc and then skim it with my old friend p38...and see what happens.. anyway here are some photos..im off to bed now ...got a blister on my thumb...(ian thinner card next time please... :lol: ) joking...

alan

Attached Files

#19 alansdalek

alansdalek

In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:56 PM

hi all well i have been playing with domes the last few days...the dalek kind... and have come to conclusion that storm... is not of dalek design.... :) a bit like bad wolf... :lol: anyway...the cardboard dome was too small and too tall... raymond brought me a classic dome that we thought might do.. but that was too small and too tall... in frustration i tried an nsd dome....too small but a bit better hight wise, so i decided to make my own..from scratch...

i knew the size but not the radius... so after a days worth of trial and error..i cracked it... i decided to do it like i did the dome for Maxx... first i cut a disc out of 3mm mdf...6mm too short.. then i did the profile and made this 3mm too small all way round....and 5mm for the side slope as there is a lot of detail in this area on storm....from this profile i cut the master profile...

the one to draw out all the other 31 profiles... they were all cut and sanded to the same as the master... next the disc was marked out into 32 segments... the origional full profile was then stuck on to these marks with a glue gun....and checked with a square to make sure it was in the right place...a 30mm dowel was cut down the centre and stuck to this first profile... this is where all the others will meet up... then i stuck them all on and covered the dome with grp tape...

the board for the filling was then made... with the origional profile as the tool that would put the filler on...the former... you can see on the photos that it is a couple of mm wider at the bottom... a single bolt comes up through the board and this is what the dome rotates on...i did the dome in quarters...i put the filler onto the dome and turned it around clockwise...i kept on filling until it was all covered...

tomorrow it gets a quick rub down to take off any high spots... and then a final skim and its done... right here are some pics..i hope to have a full neck cage and dome to show you for the weekend.... alan

Attached Files

#20 alansdalek

alansdalek

In Totter's Lane

• Radioactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:38 PM

hi all...

well today is a very special day... its exactly 12 months since i joined project dalek forum... :)

3 nsd`s later and a storm on the way.. :lol: i have to say in the last 12 months we have met some really nice people...thanks to this site... and made some really good friends.. :) and we hope to meet more of you in the next 12 months... also thanks to the moderating team for doing such a great job.. and to john for the work he does for us all without us knowing half the time... anyway i baked a cake to celebrate...in my usual style.. ;) it just needs trimming to the black line and its ready to serve.. i have also nearly finished the stand to put it on.....

alan

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users